Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTH? I'm flying after 3 weeks of pure Primal bliss and then, SELF SABOTAGE! page

denisedb is offline Member

WTH? I'm flying after 3 weeks of pure Primal bliss and then, SELF SABOTAGE!

Shop Now
    Okay, so I am not looking for pity (or tough love), but rather -- anyone else out there had to battle this within themselves?

I was feeling amazing after 3 weeks of total Primal, starting to feel energized, healthy, happy, lighter, and then -- bam! I eat ice cream. Then more the next day, along with a cupcake (I don't even like cupcakes that much!). And before my cheat, I had been consciously loving the fact that I didn't crave or want sugar, my biggest vice.

Could just be a psychological barrier I've got to work through. But is there a trick here? Is it to never ever cheat til you reached a certain amount of time being pure primal? Or something...else? I would greatly appreciate any chiming in here. Thanks!

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    No trick, just time and patience.
    Eventually you just stop wanting that crap
    You will get there

Mouse is offline Member
    I've been Primal for almost two years, and I did something similar near the beginning. I was great for a few months and then I spent another few months bouncing around with junk food splurge and cravings. I sort of joke that I spent a few months learning "how to do Primal" and then a period of time learning "how NOT to do Primal." In the end it was an important part of the learning process.

kinglee1984 is offline Junior Member
    I'm in the same boat, really need to try and stick to primal eating or any healthy eating better than I have in past attempts, I always for some reason end up drawn back to the junk

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    PMS? For me, that's the only time it's really hard.

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    One thing that has helped me is to realize (after more than one experience ) that the "pleasure" I actually get from X is a lot less than I remembered it being -- that it doesn't satisfy, and the taste is just not as whatever (fun, rich, fulfilling - however you remember it).

But it did take more than one instance of having something again that I shouldn't, before that sunk in.

So be patient with yourself, and when you slip, get back up and come back on the wagon with the rest of us.

“Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence.” -Vince Lombardi

Phinney, Stephen; Jeff Volek (2012-06-15). The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance (p. 1). Beyond Obesity LLC. Kindle Edition.

Wafaa is offline Member
    I have that with Haagen Daz. I look at it and think "it's a small cup, it's not that bad," until of course I eat it, feel sick, and suffer acne afterwards.

Eventually with time, like Pavlov's dog, you'll learn that it's either really not that good or the aftereffects are worse.
    My art blog.

denisedb is offline Member
    Thanks, everyone! I'm trying to get back in gear now....

SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    Thats right, if I eat some sugary treat or a cookie, it tastes, ok, not bad, no, but not as fantastic as it used to be. And my stomach will continuously call me bad names a few hours afterwards. A few times of that and the desire for creme brulee gets less and less. Like I look at it and know that it will be ok in my mouth, but I have learned to link the afterwards to it. Well, we were conditioned that sugar treats are so good for sooo long time, decades of our lives, no wonder the reverse process takes time.

wannispearl is offline Junior Member
    I hear you.
    I was totally flying high a few weeks in too and slipped off for about a week. Not awful but too much chocolate, too many glasses of wine, too many little "cheats" here and there, because I felt I was doing well. But it's amounted and the inflammation in my body has crept back in and the sleepiness and moodiness, maybe a little weight gain? It's also coinciding with PMS for sure but... its not purely that.
    Bleh. How disheartening. I did better today. No wine. I IF most of the day and had a really clean pork sausage, sour kaut and butter seared broccoli in the evening. No sugar... a little honey in my tea (Hmm...)
    Yeah. Feeling thrown off, also. I think this is good though that we do this now. It's a trial and error deal. Life is all about slip ups and making mistakes and learning how to handle them with (ideally) grace.
    We'll get there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast