Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carb load page

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member

Carb load

I've been told lately that I need to up my carbs in order to gain strength. Problem is, I try to maintain under 100g of carbs, as per Marks advice.

I've heard people on this forum talk about carb loading sometimes to gain strength. Can someone explain how this would work in relation to the primal diet?

For the record, I was benching 45+25 for the longest time and couldnt go any higher. I went on a family vacation and absolutley destroyed my primal diet, I think I ate pizza 5 days in a row. Anyway, when I cam home I added weight each workout (2.5 at a time) and am now benching 45+45+2.5. Not sure if this is just a coincidence, hopefully it is because I like the health benifits of eating low carb. Insuline control ect...

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    I've been told lately that I need to up my carbs in order to gain strength. Problem is, I try to maintain under 100g of carbs, as per Marks advice.

I've heard people on this forum talk about carb loading sometimes to gain strength. Can someone explain how this would work in relation to the primal diet?

For the record, I was benching 45+25 for the longest time and couldnt go any higher. I went on a family vacation and absolutley destroyed my primal diet, I think I ate pizza 5 days in a row. Anyway, when I cam home I added weight each workout (2.5 at a time) and am now benching 45+45+2.5. Not sure if this is just a coincidence, hopefully it is because I like the health benifits of eating low carb. Insuline control ect...
    That doesn't surprise me. Starch is useful for gaining strength, as it supports building and maintaining muscle. Primal for inactive people is essentially a starch elimination diet because primal tells you to count fiber (wtf?) and fructose as carbs. It encourages people to completely eliminate an entire food group - starch.

The blanket label 'carbs' is about as useful as the blanket label 'fats'.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    You can carb load once every week or so with a go wild day if you want.

Whats most likely happening is you'r simply not eating enough to put on mass. I think I read that you are already fairly lean. Basically you gotta eat to grow. Essentially eat sufficient protein and an excess of calories. Don't care if it's fat or carbs (and neither does your body IMO). Increasing your carb intake just makes it easier to increase your calories. Lets face it, a big aspect of low carb keeping you lean is promoting satiety.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    The <100g/day is a great recommendation for those trying to lose weight/fat. However if you're trying to gain weight, feel free to eat primal carbs. Sweet potatoes, white rice, and milk are my main choices.

I've found success with eating massive amounts of food, a scoop of rice with lunch and dinner, and lots of milk.

Even shorter version, if you aren't improving on your lifts, you're not eating enough.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    Even shorter version, if you aren't improving on your lifts, you're not eating enough.
    The golden rule of lifting.

MouthDR is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post

I used to think you needed carbs for mass gain, strength, etc. You do not. I repeat. You do not need it.

You most likely just overfed during that break, and as such the increase in calories and energy helped in recovery, leading to increased strength. I would just up your calories and remain low carb and see how you go.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    If you haven't rendered yourself insulin resistant through poor diet choices in the past, moderate safe starch is your friend. End of.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

MouthDR is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    If you haven't rendered yourself insulin resistant through poor diet choices in the past, moderate safe starch is your friend. End of.
    Really?

How has that worked for you?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Starchy foods are not useful for building muscle and starch is not a food group.

If you go paleo/primal - you no longer need to count calories, or worry about the micro/macro nutrient value of your meals. Simply eat the right KINDS of food and your body does the rest.

I think the confusion here is trying to eat paleo AND thinking you need to somehow manage your caloric intake. You only need to manage caloric intake (of any kind) if you're eating foods that are easily shunted to storage.

If you're really eating paleo - eat more and you'll develop more muscle if, in fact you are genetically capable of building more muscle. If not, then you can lift until the cows come home and it won't happen.

Please walk away with one simple underlying truth. STARCH WILL NOT BUILD MUSCLE.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast