Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carb load page 3

mikewootini is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm also using IF leangains, over the past 2 weeks and found that on days I lift heavy I'm getting gassed halfway through, so I started adding sweetpotato or yam on those days.

you probably want to add carbs on your workout day - sweet potato or something. I use this sight to help me dial in what I'm doing and give me some sense of how on track I am.

IF Calculator

So far I've cut 11 lbs, and seem to have held my strength so far. I might also add that I'm eating a ton of protein on workout days, and cut back a little on off days. I'm also doing mobility work before I workout which I feel helps me with recovery and keeps me from getting injured.
    -mikewootini
    ==================================================
    While I am 100% primal, sometimes I change gears to Paleo.
    twitter feed * Wootini Gallery

Sweet Potato or Yams are your best bet.

Regular Potato would be next followed by rice if you have to (rice is a grain remember)

Try the calculator I posted which should help you with figuring out which days to add more carbs and how much.

Quote Originally Posted by alexpanait View Post
    Ok, then - question
    What carbs are Primally-accepted and can be used for those heavy-workout days for the "refeed" phase ?
    Keep it Protein + Fats + low-carb just won't do it....

Currently on LeanGains IF - so it really matters WHAT i eat during the workout days....
    Rest days are totally primal, no problem - but the other days need around 150-200grams / carbs intake
    -mikewootini

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Some of this statements in this thread are ridiculous.

Insulin is an anabolic hormone. Trying to limit insulin while getting stronger is like trying to ace a final exam by staying up all night and drinking the night before.

Carbohydrate is superior to fat for performance. If you want to get bigger, stronger and faster, cut fats and increase carbs.

Primal is not a low carbohydrate diet. There is no reason to eat <100g of carbs a day if you're a remotely healthy non-diabetic. Fat has no metabolic advantage over carbohydrate. Weight loss and gain is entirely caloric. If you want to lose weight, reduce your food intake. If you want to gain wait, increase your food intake. It's not the carbs or fats making us fat, it's the chronic caloric surpluses.

Glucose is more essential than fat. Your brain requires ~200g of glucose a day just to function. Even in full blown ketosis, you require about 50g of glucose a day. The argument that carbohydrate is not essential is ass backwards - glucose is SO essential to your body, your body has evolved ways to create glucose at the expense of its own lean muscle, bone and organs. It doesn't do that with fat because fat is not as essential as glucose and there is fat in literally every whole food.

Your body needs 50-200g of glucose a day to function. Your body needs around 1g of fat a day to function. I've skewed my fat intake down a lot to include more carbohydrate, and I sit on my butt at a desk 9 hours a day. Don't fear fruits and tubers. If you're trying to get strong, fruits, tubers, leaner red meats, eggs and whole milk are your best friends.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by mikewootini View Post
    Sweet Potato or Yams are your best bet.

Regular Potato would be next followed by rice if you have to (rice is a grain remember)
    I'd say white potatoes are superior to sweet potatoes for health and performance. They are more nutritious per calorie, they're easier to digest, the protein is better quality, they're less calorically dense, harder to overeat and more versatile from a flavor standpoint.

I love my sweet potatoes for sure, but the higher GI nature of white potatoes make them superior post workout, and the increased nutrient density and lower caloric density make them better for weight loss, too. You just may want to peel them since there are very mild toxins in the skins. I only skin them if I see eyes forming. If they're fresh and the skin is perfect, I keep it on because I love the taste. If you are good with nightshades, I'd put them in front. I just shredded 2 whites and 1 sweet for a big ol' hash brown for tomorrow's lunch.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    You just may want to peel them since there are very mild toxins in the skins. I only skin them if I see eyes forming. If they're fresh and the skin is perfect, I keep it on because I love the taste.
    I always eat them with the skin - mainly cos' I read that the skin has more vit C in it than an orange... Tue or false?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I always eat them with the skin - mainly cos' I read that the skin has more vit C in it than an orange... Tue or false?
    It may very well be true, but honestly Vitamin C is in such overabundance in this diet I can't imagine ever eating anything for Vitamin C. It's water soluble, so you just pee out all the excess. All you have to do is eat an orange or a pepper and you're good for like a week. I eat 3 lbs of peppers each week...I think I'm good for the Spring!

I think the far more important vitamins are animal-based Vitamin A, E and K/K2 and of course natural Vitamin D synthesis. Those are the nutrients Americans are lacking. I'm starting to get into drinking grassfed whole milk and I've switched from TJ's 0% Greek yogurt to their organic 1% European style yogurt to aid in obtaining them.

I don't consider vegetables a viable source of the fat soluble vitamins A/E/K/K2 because the conversion rate is usually so poor they're negligible. Leafy greeks look awesome on paper until you realize you can't use almost all of it. The nutrients in animals, fruits and tubers are much more available than fibrous veggies.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 03-20-2013 at 10:16 AM.

You are off base on the potato comparison. If you can get organic white potato - sure interchange them with sweet potato if you like - but you aren't going to really gain anything. Theyare essentially the same thing with a little less and little more of this or that - here's a link with nutrional breakdown:

Sweet Potatoes vs White Potatoes

"Both white potatoes and sweet potatoes contain a variety of nutrients. Here’s the comparison:
    7-ounce white potato with skin: 220 calories, 5g protein, 51g carbs, 20mg calcium, 115mg phosphorus, 2.8mg iron, 16mg sodium, 844mg potassium, 4g fiber, .22mg thiamin, .07mg riboflavin, 3.3mg niacin, 16mg vitamin C
    7-ounce sweet potato: 208 calories, 3.5g protein, 49g carbs, 56mg calcium, 110mg phosphorus, 1mg iron, 20mg sodium, 693mg potassium, 5g fiber, 4350 RE vitamin A, .14mg thiamin, .13mg riboflavin, 1.2mg niacin, 49mg vitamin C.

So, as you can see, sweet potatoes are a good source of vitamin A, and have a little more vitamin C and calcium (but less iron) than white potatoes; otherwise they're pretty much equal."

I'd say white potatoes are superior to sweet potatoes for health and performance. They are more nutritious per calorie, they're easier to digest, the protein is better quality, they're less calorically dense, harder to overeat and more versatile from a flavor standpoint.

I love my sweet potatoes for sure, but the higher GI nature of white potatoes make them superior post workout, and the increased nutrient density and lower caloric density make them better for weight loss, too. You just may want to peel them since there are very mild toxins in the skins. I only skin them if I see eyes forming. If they're fresh and the skin is perfect, I keep it on because I love the taste. If you are good with nightshades, I'd put them in front. I just shredded 2 whites and 1 sweet for a big ol' hash brown for tomorrow's lunch.
    -mikewootini

No, I'm not off base at all.

White potatoes are more nutrient-dense per calorie. Sweet potatoes are also more calorically dense per gram. Your source is wrong.

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Sweet potato, raw, unprepared [Includes USDA commodity food A230, Sweetpotato]
    Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Potatoes, white, flesh and skin, raw [Includes USDA commodity food A215]

100g of white potato contains 69 calories. 100g of sweet potato contains 86 calories. This makes a sweet potato 25% more calorically dense than a white potato. In addition, the vitamin A advantage is only for orange sweet potatoes. Take out that outlier and white potatoes steamroll sweets. Furthermore, it's beta carotene, which is mostly useless to the human body and has a terrible converstion rate. Eating a sweet potato for Vitamin A is like eating Frosted Flakes for protein.

Both are perfectly healthy foods and can be enjoyed as often as you'd like, but I stand by my original statement that white potatoes are superior to sweet potatoes from a health and nutrition standpoint.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    All you have to do is eat an orange or a pepper and you're good for like a week.
    Lol Well, in addition I actually like the skin - gives the potato more texture. My favourite thing atm is white potatoes with coconut cream and lots of salt and paprika.... mmmm
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    All I personally know is when I eat a portin of white potatoes I get bloated and lethargic. If I eat the same amount of sweet spuds I'm fine.

I've been playing around with low carb through the day, then crossfit, then a huge amount of sweet potatoes, squash, parsnips and those sorts of things. Not sure if it's having a major benefit, I'd need to switch back to know for sure, but I'm loving my dinners!
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast