Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Carb load page 2

dogfuel is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Furst Dunaharm View Post

Please walk away with one simple underlying truth. STARCH WILL NOT BUILD MUSCLE.
    I absolutely agree Starch will not directly build muscle, but doesn't starch provide cheap energy that can help you work out longer/harder so that you can build more muscle (with protien and fat).

This is a genuine question as I don't know, not some know-it-all, rhetorical statement. I used to be scared of carbs and still avoid simple and worthless ones on a day to day basis, but if you're really working out hard (not prancing around a gym, dicking with machines or doing a few sets of bench presses), it seems like carbs - even otherwise crappy ones from starch, could help. thoughts?

Almost all cheap carbs come from grains.

Their intake and the subsequent rise in blood sugar triggers a systemic inflammatory response along with the insulin shot your pancreas has to manage. So now your immiune system has to get involved and starts attacking your own cells. The phytates contained in the grains flood receptor cells which are designed to bind with minerals. As a result minerals are utilized at a lower rate. Unfortunately, minerals are required in the contraction/relaxation process of muscles. This leads to less effective contracture and even more importantly, less effective relaxation of those same muscles.

Don't get me started on the other 2 or 3 ways in which the dumb carbs try to kill us.

Need more energy - eat some fruit - not fruit juice. The fiber slows the uptake of the sugar and they contain an abundance of vitamins and minerals as opposed to the grains which are nearly barren on their best day.

When you're eating paleo/primal - you just need more calories. Not less. Paleo calories are your friend. and can be turned into whatever you need.

MouthDR is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jufgdy View Post
    How has that worked for you?
    I was being serious. I've read paleo-bunny's stats in her signature and that doesn't sound like a higher carb recommendation is working.

I personally think that anyone who promotes a program or idea should very well being doing it themselves successfully.

la_chica is offline Junior Member
    Just to echo what a number of people have already said: you can't cut weight and gain muscle at the same time.

alexpanait is offline Member
    Ok, then - question
    What carbs are Primally-accepted and can be used for those heavy-workout days for the "refeed" phase ?
    Keep it Protein + Fats + low-carb just won't do it....

Currently on LeanGains IF - so it really matters WHAT i eat during the workout days....
    Rest days are totally primal, no problem - but the other days need around 150-200grams / carbs intake
    "...Primal or not primal - that is the question!"

------------------------------------
    Starting weight 85kg, 22% bodyfat (December 2012)
    Current weight 78kg, 15% bodyfat (March 2013)
    Desired weight 83-84kg , 7-8% bodyfat (May 2014 or sooner)

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by la_chica View Post
    Just to echo what a number of people have already said: you can't cut weight and gain muscle at the same time.
    I dont agree with this. Maybe I am an exception to the rule but, I often cut and still make gains. Theres no reason why you cat burn fat at the same time as you build muscle.

tzulogic is offline Member
    I'm quite the newbie at low-carb. I've been averaging about 80 a day, but I get plenty of fat and protein and have more energy then ever. I might eat an apple 20 minutes before working out and that's enough for me.

MprDoc is offline Senior Member
    You can lose FAT and gain muscle! Its totally possible. People confuse weight loss and fat loss with same thing, they are not! If you lose fat and gain muscle you will see a remarkable change in body composition that may not reflect on a scale. Take measurment instead, its more accurate judge of fat.

"carb loading" is not as simple as eating carbs. The way athletes do it - mainly distance athletes - is by really depleting carbs for about a week and than eating incredibly high carb meals the day before and of an event. I would say you should base whether or not you need more carbs on how feel during excercise and how adapted your body is to using fat for energy. It also depends on how long you strength workouts are as well and if your mentally strong enough to push through a workout when you start to feel your energy level deplete. Everynow and than if I know I am going to sleigh myself in the gym I will eat more carbs, if I am just doing some calisthenics and run or something like that than I wont. Thats me personally though.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MouthDR View Post
    I was being serious. I've read paleo-bunny's stats in her signature and that doesn't sound like a higher carb recommendation is working.

I personally think that anyone who promotes a program or idea should very well being doing it themselves successfully.
    Er ... ooh let me think. I'm not starving myself. I can maintain on 2500-3000 cals a day and have more muscle than most men of my height who are half my age. Also my waist size is less than most women of my height with a BMI of 25. Lung capacity is that of someone 17 years younger. On average people estimate my age at 10-15 years younger. I have lovely soft clear skin. I don't wear make-up.

My blood glucose levels are perfect. No signs of degenerative disease, diabetes or weakness here.

I don't eat higher carb. I average around 150 g carbs a day, mostly starch, on 2500-3000 cals.

Anybody versed in epidemiology knows that those with BMI in the range 25-30 with small waists and high muscle mass during middle age live the longest, healthiest and happiest lives.

Have a nice day troll!
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 03-19-2013 at 04:15 PM.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    MouthDR is probably going to die before 60 from overexertion and a crappy workout diet

Don't even know how the hell you can get enough calories to gain mass from eating pure fat and protein anyway. VLC killed my appetite and I lost 15lbs in 2 weeks without even exercising.
    nihil

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast