Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible causes of dry skin? page

teach2183 is offline Senior Member

Possible causes of dry skin?

Primal Fuel
    My 2.5yo son is suffering from very dry skin this winter. I plan to take the obvious steps of switching to natural soap and natural laundry detergent. But just wanted to try and brainstorm a list of other things that people have found to affect their skin. After tomorrow I will have a good chance to keep all wheat out of his diet for quite a long stretch. And we're about to start a CSA so we'll have more organic food around. But I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing as a possible allergen to cause these skin problems.

Thanks!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Single digit (or low two-digit) humidity can cause dry skin.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Water quality and frequency of bathing. I do not do well on too frequent showers/baths and neither do the kids. Sometimes very hard water will be hard on the skin, too.

Also oil-in-water lotions. The most moisturizing, the true moisturizing lotions if you will, are the water-in-oil ones. If you can handle it, USP grade lanolin will help me when nothing else will.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    we're all super dried out this winter...and had to put humidifiers in all the bedrooms a few weeks ago. My kids also bathe more infrequently in the winter which helps. Also---food allergies can definitely trigger skin reactions, which can get tricky to pinpoint.
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

Wafaa is offline Member
    I can't use any soap of any kind at all just because they are basic. They cause my skin to become really dry/flaky and immediately make a lichen planus condition I had on my leg flare up badly. I spent almost 2 years with it before I found stopping soap completely healed it.

Some suggestions:
    If your water is hard then it will be very drying.
    If showering with hot water, try a final rinse with slightly warm tepid water if your toddler is okay with that.
    Or alternatively, rinse with water mixed with a small amount of something acidic (like vinegar or citric acid). Works wonders to smooth the skin.
    Finally, if you could find some non-soap based cleanser, perhaps with a lowered Ph, it could really help.
    My art blog.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    My skin was incredibly dry and sensitive until I went Primal. Now I barely need moisturizer!

I attribute it to cutting out wheat, plus increasing my fat intake. Anything wheat laden has a practically instantaneous effect on how dried out my skin feels. Similarly the type of fat I eat also has a huge effect - eating coconut oil is an internal moisturiser
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks everyone, will give these things a try. Kids get a bath every third night, so not super frequent. No wheat since 3 mini cookies Thursday and will be fully compliant after attending Disney on Ice today. It's been snowing/raining a lot here lately and the kids have humidifiers running at night. Need to get out this week and find gentler soap!

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    I tend to not soap mine at all...except hair once a week (something paraben-free). I will throw them in the tub with Epsom Salts though---they love it and it's sooo calming too!
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

jammies is offline Senior Member
    No soap at all is much better for kids with dry skin. Warm water is plenty to get them clean. Is it just dry skin, or could it be eczema? If eczema, dairy can be a trigger.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I actually do use soap, but all of mine are "superfatted" soaps. If you happen to be a gotta-have-soap type, this might be a good transition step towards relatively a more soapless existence.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast