Thread: My weight isn't going down.. but my fat % is... got some questions- LONGGGG page

Mldami is offline Senior Member

My weight isn't going down.. but my fat % is... got some questions- LONGGGG

Primal Fuel
    Ok. I have been following a Primal diet since Feb 1, 2011. Save for a few random times, I have been largely grain, legume free. I have been sugar/alcohol free since 2005.
    I was about 11mo post partum when I discovered the Primal blueprint. I can safely say it took a solid 18mos to notice significant health changes. Some, I noticed immediately. But others have taken time. I gave up dairy in Fall of 2012.. to finally kick my asthma to the curb.

I have worked with a nutritionist and have dialed in at roughly 1800kcal/65% Fat, 20% Protein, 15% carbs. Plus or minus here and there. But that is pretty standard for me. Lately, I have been playing with IF. Where I will fast through breakfast and have my 'lunch' around 2pm. On these days, my calorie load has been less.

Ok. so, onto the fitness side of things. For the first 11 months of this lifestyle change, I did not do much exercise per doctors orders. I had some crazy feet stuff going on. Doc told me to not use them!! Yeah, right. I turned to mush during that time. Finally, I decided to buck doctors' orders and started working out again.
    For about 6months, I did a bootcamp style workout 3 days/week. Then, from June-Dec 2012 it was a higher intensity bootcamp style workout 2 days/week. This last month, I have added in a 3rd day.

I am a Mom to 2 young kids.. so I am generally pretty active. Not a lot of time to just sit and chill. I also have Fibromyalgia that will flare a little after these intense workouts. I take Savella for the fibro and depression that eating primally has not killed off. I am off my ADHD meds thanks to this lifestyle. and I don't even know where my asthma stuff is anymore.

I have pretty much weighed the exact same through this entire journey. I did a body comp in May of 2012, I was at 52.5% Body Fat (YIKES!!). Guess that year off reared it's ugly head! I recently did another body comp. After 7 months of this high intensity workout 2-3x/week, my body fat is down to 37.9%! Which I am very happy about... but my weight is exactly the same. Not a pound gained or lost.

I guess my question is... my weight is very high. I have at least 50lbs to lose. I weigh 225 and am 5'4". I realize that the fat loss/muscle gain of 14.6% is pretty sweet. But will there come a point where I start to lose some of the lbs?? I am a densely built person by nature. I am not fooling myself into thinking I will ever be a svelte/skinny size 4. Just not possible in this body. BUT, 225lbs is ridiculous. Any thoughts???? Thanks for reading all of this!!!

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Perhaps your body needs some time off from high intensity exercise in order to shed weight? Have you tried replacing your workouts with long walks for a few weeks? You may also need to just eat a little less/more - are you following your hunger cues?

I have not tried doing that. how long is long for the walk? I have to admit, that will be a challenge. hahaha. I like the intense stuff, loud music, etc. :P

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Portion control! Most people underestimates how much they are really eating, and overestimates how much they exercises. 1800 calories sound about right, but make sure that you measure correctly. Anyway, dieting down in weight is more an issue about diet than exercising, and thats usually the hardest part as well...

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Have you changed in size?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

yes. I was a tight 18 and now a comfortable 16.
    my portions are spot on.. I have been measuring my food for 7.5yrs. (that's another story for another day.. ) I will say on days that I IF, not sure how many calories I should be getting. 1800 crammed into that short of a period just doesn't happen.
    that calorie count/percentages work out to roughly 18oz protein, 4-5c non-starchy veg, a fruit or swt potato, and about 5 servings of fats (1 serving = 1/8 avocado, 1t oil (coconut, olive, avocado), 1oz nuts) per day
    Last edited by Mldami; 01-26-2013 at 06:02 PM.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like you are falling into the "my clothes fit better but the scale hasn't moved" trap where you have real concrete evidence that your diet is working and yet a stupid number on the scale has the power to blind you to it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    It sounds like you are falling into the "my clothes fit better but the scale hasn't moved" trap where you have real concrete evidence that your diet is working and yet a stupid number on the scale has the power to blind you to it.
    This! You have lost over 14% body fat without sacrificing lean mass, and you have reduced your meds significantly. I can't even tell you how awesome that is!

Seriously every time you have to pop a pill your introducing toxic substances to the system. If your only outcome was to reduce your meds this would be well worth it. Your improved body comp is just like the icing on the cake right now.

Keep up the great work!

Sturm is offline Junior Member
    Don't worry, it's a slow and gradual process but as you build up your muscle mass your RMR (Resting Metabolic Rate) will increase due to the fact that muscle is the most metabolically active tissue in the body. This means that you will burn more calories at rest, and it seems like you're already keto adapted so these calories will indeed be from fat. All good things come with time, just remember that.

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    I would take one week off the high intensity stuff, just walking. Then walking about an hour five days a week (or easy level cycling) with high intensity only one day a week- really put in all you have on that one workout too. So you have one day you do not exersize.

Make sure you are getting adequate sleep.