Thread: Smoked Salmon & Scrambled Eggs ... with a twist! page

pjgh is offline Senior Member

Smoked Salmon & Scrambled Eggs ... with a twist!

Primal Fuel

Potentially a weird combination, but I've made both halves of this dish many times before and they are both wonderful - put together, sublime!

At the back, we have smoked salmon wrapped around slices of kiwi fruit and segments of pink grapefruit! In front, we have scrambled eggs.

Creme Fraiche in the middle ...

What a breakfast!

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    Looks absolutely lovely!! A spoonful of caviar / lumpfish roe on the creme Fraiche would make it - for me - sublime!!!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    That's beautiful! I've tried lox in scrambled eggs, and even though I love each on it's own, the lox made the eggs too salty. But on the side like you did - fantastic.

It's only six blocks to the nearest Jewish Deli. Maybe...
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

I'm absolutely with you there ... alas, no caviar in. I don't mean that jokingly - we often have caviar in, and often have it with smoked salmon ... and Champagne.

You're right ... mixed into eggs, the salmon can ruin both. Alongside, especially alongside citric and tart fruits, as well as the soothing creme fraiche ... too gorgeous! I'll be doing this again, as a duo ... all the bits worked together perfectly.

alexpanait is offline Member
    Looks amazing!
    Any particularities concerning the grapefruit you've used (did you dip it in anything or just cut it in little slices and put it next to the smoked salmon?)
    Same question for the scrabbled eggs - any particular recipe that you've used?
    Thanks a lot
    Made me hungry :P
    "...Primal or not primal - that is the question!"

------------------------------------
    Starting weight 85kg, 22% bodyfat (December 2012)
    Current weight 78kg, 15% bodyfat (March 2013)
    Desired weight 83-84kg , 7-8% bodyfat (May 2014 or sooner)

The grapefruit was peeled with a sharp knife and then each segment removed by slicing along the thin membranes each side of the segment.

The kiwi fruit was peeled with a potato peeler and sliced.

What I did then was to take a slice of smoked salmon and weave it around pieces of grapefruit and kiwi, so that the fruit was woven into the fish. Repeat with a second piece of salmon ... and again, if you're really hungry.

The scrambled eggs were gently warmed through in some goat butter, gently and carefully. I used four eggs for two of us - they are very large (the chicks up the road do seem to push of some monsters!), so perhaps three eggs per person with regular eggs.

Just before they were about to fully cook through, I added a tablespoon of creme fraiche. This helps to slow the cooking right down while the residual heat in the pan fully cooks through. It also gives a very creamy scramble. I add some black pepper in at that point. No salt - the smoked salmon is salty enough.

Thank you for the kind compliments. I am happy to have inspired.

I should point out, the little jug is the juice from the grapefruit, squeezed from the remaining pith and pulp once the segments were removed.

I should also say, the smoked salmon and fruit on its own is quite wonderful, better still with some red grapes; it makes a perfect primal dinner party starter. Or, just a fine little meal on its own.

Grapefruits are quite in season and a very welcome pack of vitamin C through the winter. Furthermore, grapefruit has all manner of complexes in there making them quite the stand-out fruit!

alexpanait is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Paul, thanks very much, great insights and details about the procedure!
    Will try this asap, we have smoked salmon available here in stores (pre-packed), no need to go to big fish stores and buy fresh/uncooked salmon....that one i shall use for other creative recipes
    "...Primal or not primal - that is the question!"

------------------------------------
    Starting weight 85kg, 22% bodyfat (December 2012)
    Current weight 78kg, 15% bodyfat (March 2013)
    Desired weight 83-84kg , 7-8% bodyfat (May 2014 or sooner)