Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: bodybuilding.com page 4

341gerbig is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Yea, im "fat2fit21" over there, I go there for the lol's, they have entertaining threads and a large amount of members.
    But I dont go there for fitness advice, simply because 95% of members employ half assed "bro science" to come to their conclusions, and the 5% that do give actual scientific based nutrition advice and drowned out and ignored.

It all for the lol's, not for the information.

Plus they have lots of good threads on money tips, lifestyle tips etc, I also go for that.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Rippetoes method versus Thibaudeau? For everybody except skinny teenagers I rather do Thibaudeaus slow bulking rather than Rippetoes "a gallon of milk per day". I used to do breathing squats and drink a gallon of milk at the age of 17 though, no need for that anymore...

Sturm is offline Junior Member
    I find that a lot of posts on bodybuilding.com have a lot of "bro-science" or as you could say a lot of conjecture with little to no evidence. Also thrown into the mix are so called "experts" that are fan boys of certain products. Also those forums have tons of trolling and other various annoyances.

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Rippetoes method versus Thibaudeau? For everybody except skinny teenagers I rather do Thibaudeaus slow bulking rather than Rippetoes "a gallon of milk per day". I used to do breathing squats and drink a gallon of milk at the age of 17 though, no need for that anymore...
    Pretty much everything Rippetoe says is related to novices and early intermediate lifters. He's not saying that you should try to add more weight to the bar from workout to workout if you're already a national level powerlifter, and he doesn't want you to pig out if you can only set new personal records bimonthly. He just wants people to eat according to their gains, and novices make huge gains for the first couple of months.

Thibaudeau, on the other hand, is not a novice lifter at all and can't make novice gains. And he most definitely shouldn't eat like a novice.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    Pretty much everything Rippetoe says is related to novices and early intermediate lifters. He's not saying that you should try to add more weight to the bar from workout to workout if you're already a national level powerlifter, and he doesn't want you to pig out if you can only set new personal records bimonthly. He just wants people to eat according to their gains, and novices make huge gains for the first couple of months.

Thibaudeau, on the other hand, is not a novice lifter at all and can't make novice gains. And he most definitely shouldn't eat like a novice.
    Yup, and that's what people are too lazy to see. "Oh, Rippetoe is stupid, I'm 50 and overweight and according to him I should do GOMAD!"

Thibaudeau's view has a fundamental flaw. He assumes that if you lift weights, your excess calories and protein immediately go to pure muscle up to a certain point, with anything in excess just becoming fat. For example, say your natural capacity is to build 0.5lb of muscle a week. Thibaudeau argues that if you supply your body with just enough calories and protein for this 0.5lb, you will gain pure muscle. Therein lies the flaw. You cannot control exactly how your body will use the extra calories and protein! Some of it will go to muscle, some of it will go to fat. There isn't a linear cap of X calories pure muscle followed by pure fat gain. It just doesn't work that way.

If you read some literature from some great weight lifters, many will tell you that the key to pushing through plateaus was to eat through them. If all excess calories beyond the "natural capacity" would just go to fat, eating more would not result in bigger strength gains, just more fat.

I know from personal experience too, that if you're lifting heavy and increasing weight, you need to eat more than you think. Every time my weight gain slowed significantly, my weights would start to stall.

I think the best approach, and this fits with Rippetoe's argument as well, is to let the weights and the scale do the talking. If you're regularly gaining strength, your diet for this purpose is fine. If you're not gaining strength, but the scale is moving, your programming or another variable (such as sleep) might need adjustment. If you're not gaining strength, and the scale is not moving - eat more! The big problem is that people usually underestimate how much they really need to eat to fuel muscle growth.

Also, "I'm getting stronger and I don't bulk" is a very subjective statement. Some people consider adding 20lb to their squat after a year of strength training as a novice "getting stronger". Some people consider adding 200lb to their squat after a year of strength training as a novice "getting stronger". The second statement is quite common using Rippetoe's method. It really depends on what you want to accomplish and what you consider "strong".

alexpanait is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cobalamin View Post
    ego driven people don't have will power. Hence always trying to prove their worth to the world.
    Heart or Ego Center | HumanDesign.com - Human Design System

The second part doesn't make sense. Who wants to gain fat while putting on muscle?

My only point was that muscle is not only made of protein. Nothing more.

No one needs to calculate macros. Its about following the internal instincts, not the mind, its as simple as not eating if the stomach doesn't rumble and incorporating more micronutrients from natural whole foods instead of macronutrients. Macronutrients are overrated; especially protein.

Mark makes a lot of good points that others have made but he just regurgitates information and some articles have major errors.
    Thanks for the link, appreciated!
    As for whatever information is to be found online and in books - well, there's tons of infos on how to get ripped / lean / muscular. Reading the most of them is a good thing nevertheless - choosing an optimal path is what's important.
    Example : If someone is able to FAST, he should fast - it's healthier and much better than counting calories, anyway
    Edit :
    I was talking/quoting Mark Sisson, not Rippletoe
    Last edited by alexpanait; 01-28-2013 at 12:00 PM.
    "...Primal or not primal - that is the question!"

------------------------------------
    Starting weight 85kg, 22% bodyfat (December 2012)
    Current weight 78kg, 15% bodyfat (March 2013)
    Desired weight 83-84kg , 7-8% bodyfat (May 2014 or sooner)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234