Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: bodybuilding.com page 3

alexpanait is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Carbs we take in from vegetables / diaries / perhaps oats from time to time - are enough for lean muscle gaining.
    The dextrose / maltodextrin the "gainers" usually contain are for getting fat & muscular, not lean & muscular
    That's just another side of the book, i guess, that people never care to see....

Also - weight should = muscle, not fat - please!
    That's the smart way to gain weight, by adding muscle & being faster, stronger
    Last edited by alexpanait; 01-27-2013 at 12:05 PM.
    "...Primal or not primal - that is the question!"

------------------------------------
    Starting weight 85kg, 22% bodyfat (December 2012)
    Current weight 78kg, 15% bodyfat (March 2013)
    Desired weight 83-84kg , 7-8% bodyfat (May 2014 or sooner)

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Yeah, I basically put little faith in him for either so I have no cognitive dissonance to speak of .

But, I think your coming back to the point of what is your goal? If its strength "at all cost" i.e you are willing to sacrifice other attributes of health well then by all means just eat a fuck ton of food get fat and get strong all at once. There really is no argument that this will produce the most strength.
    Rippetoe's argument is often misunderstood, in fact he has written an article on it:

A Clarification - Mark Rippetoe

The point though is that IF you are a male between the ages of 18-35, who is not already fat, you need to eat a ton of food to do Starting Strength if you want to get the most out of it. As a result of doing so, you will gain some body fat.

Rippetoe's argument is not that everyone should just shovel garbage into their mouth and get unhealthy, fat, and strong. In fact, Rippetoe considers a paleo-type diet the healthiest long-term, and even recommends it to the "huskier" beginners.

Edit: I know many will not read the article, so here are some excerpts:

"Eating correctly may mean 6000 calories/day with a gallon of whole milk, or it may mean 3500 calories/day on a paleo-type
    lower carb no-dairy diet, depending on your initial body composition."

"The goal of the program is not to make you fat. The program is for increasing strength and muscle mass. The idea is that you must gain some bodyfat in the process if your bodyfat is low, and that you should lose some bodyfat if it is high. I don’t want you fat, but I don’t care about seeing your abs. If you want to see your abs, fine – worry about that later."

"After the first three or four months, a change will be necessary for most guys that started off skinny. If you have done the program correctly, you will have gained quite a bit of weight, about 60% of it being lean body mass – muscle, tendon, and bone. This means that your bodyfat may have also gone from ~10% to 18-19%. This is fine; it was necessary to produce the LBM increase. But now it’s time to modify the diet to reflect your body’s approach to its limit of fast LBM growth. It obviously can’t go on forever, but it must occur at first to get our goal accomplished. Now, we need to drop the milk down to a half gallon a day for a while, and then perhaps less than that. At the same time, daily caloric intake should drop to about 4000/day, accomplished by cleaning up the carb intake and focusing on dietary quality instead of quantity like you did at first. This will allow your bodyfat levels to drop back to where they need to be, in the range of 15-17%, normal for athletic males in our demographic."
    Last edited by quikky; 01-27-2013 at 12:30 PM.

cobalamin is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexpanait View Post
    Woo woo.. and too much ego.

Cell membrane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Carbs we take in from vegetables / diaries / perhaps oats from time to time - are enough for lean muscle gaining.
    The dextrose / maltodextrin the "gainers" usually contain are for getting fat & muscular, not lean & muscular
    That's just another side of the book, i guess, that people never care to see....

Adding just muscle is awesome... But not really possible. Even bodybuilders on steroids gain fat while building muscle.

alexpanait is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cobalamin View Post
    Thanks for the Wiki-link, that's just about what i'm studying right now at my University
    As for the ego - a non-ego driven person would be more interesting, yet ambitious ? Don't think so...

------
    Regarding gaining fat while adding muscle to the body, well, it sure may be possible but it's draconic and nobody wants to calculate macro-nutrients day in, day out....therefore - yet, you're right - i just meant that eating right + some form of fitness (not really barbell training) can yield in nice results, body-wise
    As Mark would say - 80% of what our body looks like comes from what we eat! Couldn't agree more
    "...Primal or not primal - that is the question!"

------------------------------------
    Starting weight 85kg, 22% bodyfat (December 2012)
    Current weight 78kg, 15% bodyfat (March 2013)
    Desired weight 83-84kg , 7-8% bodyfat (May 2014 or sooner)

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    The main premises of the "lifestyles" are very different from mda.com and bb.com.

Nothing wrong with bodybuilding, just not my current focus in life. This way of lifting, eating, etc nets me much more bang for the limited time invested. I remain pretty ripped and free up a ton of hours to devote to my family, career, etc.

cobalamin is offline Member
    Thanks for the Wiki-link, that's just about what i'm studying right now at my University
    As for the ego - a non-ego driven person would be more interesting, yet ambitious ? Don't think so...

------
    Regarding gaining fat while adding muscle to the body, well, it sure may be possible but it's draconic and nobody wants to calculate macro-nutrients day in, day out....therefore - yet, you're right - i just meant that eating right + some form of fitness (not really barbell training) can yield in nice results, body-wise
    As Mark would say - 80% of what our body looks like comes from what we eat! Couldn't agree more
    ego driven people don't have will power. Hence always trying to prove their worth to the world.
    Heart or Ego Center | HumanDesign.com - Human Design System

The second part doesn't make sense. Who wants to gain fat while putting on muscle?

My only point was that muscle is not only made of protein. Nothing more.

No one needs to calculate macros. Its about following the internal instincts, not the mind, its as simple as not eating if the stomach doesn't rumble and incorporating more micronutrients from natural whole foods instead of macronutrients. Macronutrients are overrated; especially protein.

Mark makes a lot of good points that others have made but he just regurgitates information and some articles have major errors.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Rippetoe's argument is often misunderstood, in fact he has written an article on it:

A Clarification - Mark Rippetoe
    .....[/I]
    Thats all quite reasonable. I actually just meant I don't follow his program or dietary guidelines myself.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Was this article posted in this thread? I found it quite interesting.
    T NATION | Truth About Bulking

Being a lady, I get to do the exact opposite of Rippetoe's plan. I get to build strength without getting big, without getting fat and without GOMAD. Sure, I eat more and I eat more protein, but I try not to add any size to my waistline AT ALL. And yet I'm still getting stronger. So I agree with the t-nation article above that bulking is not a good idea.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Was this article posted in this thread? I found it quite interesting.
    T NATION | Truth About Bulking.
    Even more reasonable.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast