Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: bodybuilding.com page 2

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I check the forums out every now and then, yeah.

On the whole - once you get past some douchebaggery, strange slang and the ridicule of a full Paleo lifestyle - there's some pretty solid advice there. And great recipes, IMO - I'm a big "sludge" fan. Srsly. Greek Yoghurt with a scoop of whey, handful of frozen berries, some nuts and crushed dark chocolate is divine.

Toshison is offline Member
    I check out BB.com on occasion.

What you need to keep in mind though is that its a different crowd on that site. The focus over there is on bodybuilding where many of the people on this forum really focus on optimal health. Big difference.

In the context of bodybuilding, "if it fits your macros" does work, and to an extent so do conventional wisdom low fat diets too. Just look at all of people that still eat that way and you will find some that have managed to build excellent physiques. My point is not saying one is better than another and for the record I think a mostly primal diet is the way to go but its just silly when paleo/primal die-hards frown upon other diets that also work too.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I mean it really depends on your goals....if your doing bulks and cuts then low carb seems sorta silly. It is just tough to put on a shit ton of weight eating low carb. Thats kinda the point.

Reading the PB or any paleo site you will note that they repeatedly talk about an "athletic" build or "like a decathlete" and other such descritpors. Body building is about hypertrophy and you definitely don't shoot for the "athletic" look, or what I would consider such.

Sure you can put on weight with low carb. It's just a little tougher and its in a manner that I don't think you would need a cut after.

Oh, and I'm even using low carb rather loosely here...like 150g and under.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-26-2013 at 05:38 PM.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Sure you can put on weight with low carb. It's just a little tougher and its in a manner that I don't think you would need a cut after.
    A lot tougher....
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    Anyone else frequent this site? I joined for fitness advice, which they are good at, however; I constantly get boo'd out of the nutrition forum. I promote a low carb life style that apparently is stupid and has no merritt. All they talk about is "bulking" then "cutting", where as myself, a low carber, never has to "bulk or "cut". I keep making strength gains while looking cut (i could prob cut 4 pounds. big deal)
    It's better to stay lean. Most of the smarter folks over there know that. You're only going to be able to gain say 30-50 lbs of muscle naturally anyways, and that only takes a few years. After that, you just have to do what you have to do to keep the fat off. Bulking is pointless.

quikky is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    A lot tougher....
    It's really not. It's just easier to eat more calories if you don't restrict your carb intake.

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripped View Post
    It's better to stay lean. Most of the smarter folks over there know that. You're only going to be able to gain say 30-50 lbs of muscle naturally anyways, and that only takes a few years. After that, you just have to do what you have to do to keep the fat off. Bulking is pointless.
    You may only be able to gain 30-50 pounds of muscle and stay lean, but you can gain more - A LOT more - if you allow your bodyfat percentage to increase. For instance, NFL linemen, 105 kg+ olympic weightlifters and professional sumo wrestlers carry a fuck ton of muscle under their layers of fat. In some cases more than the steroid assisted heavyweight bodybuilders. Of course, that doesn't mean they have the potential to become the next Mr. Olympia, because much of that muscle tissue would come off if they ever tried to get lean.

Anyway, what really strikes me as odd is the "it's better to stay lean" part. Because there's also a consensus that it's important to improve your strength if you want to gain any appreciable muscle. And these two things do not always go hand in hand.

A 5'7" person who weighs 155 lbs (~25 BMI) has the same stats as both a stage ready natural bodybuilder and a semi-professional olympic weightlifter. That's pretty cool. He can lift heavy AND stay lean at his current weight.

A 5'11" person who wants to compete in natural bodybuilding should weigh approximately 175 lbs (~25 BMI). However, he should weigh 200 lbs (~28 BMI) to be a competitive semi-professional olympic weightlifter. So he has to make a choise: Optimal leanness or optimal relative strength for olympic lifting or somewhere in between. He can't have both and be competitive.

It's funny how much faith people have in Mark Rippetoe when it comes to his training programs. But it's even funnier how little faith they have in him when he says that it's a good idea to pig out when following his programs - as if he somehow overestimates the importance of gaining weight, be it fat or muscle.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    It's funny how much faith people have in Mark Rippetoe when it comes to his training programs. But it's even funnier how little faith they have in him when he says that it's a good idea to pig out when following his programs - as if he somehow overestimates the importance of gaining weight, be it fat or muscle.
    Yeah, I basically put little faith in him for either so I have no cognitive dissonance to speak of .

But, I think your coming back to the point of what is your goal? If its strength "at all cost" i.e you are willing to sacrifice other attributes of health well then by all means just eat a fuck ton of food get fat and get strong all at once. There really is no argument that this will produce the most strength.

cobalamin is offline Member
    Post up pics. Lets see these strength gains.... and stay on the diet long enough. Glucagon breaks down muscle in the long run.

Violette_R is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't log into the forums much but I read the comments on some on the Facebook posts. I don't think it helps the meathead stereotype that those commenters are some of the most illiterate people outside of YouTube comment threads. A lot of them are likely non-native English speakers, but then a lot are also completely incoherent. And they sure love throwing the insult "pussy" around. I've done it on occasion but not because someone squats less than me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast