Thread: paleo "Hidden Menu" at Panera Bread? page

dirk41 is offline Senior Member

paleo "Hidden Menu" at Panera Bread?

Thrive Market
    Panera Bread Goes Paleo Primal - Karen DeCoster LRC.com

If there are people here who read LRC, did anyone see this today? I never would have thought Panera would have paleo options (outside of salads) but this seems legit.

Panera Hidden Menu (w/ pictures)

I've actually never eaten at Panera (even in my pre-paleo days). How's the food?
    Yes, the real Dirk.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Panera Bread is pretty good. I've had their salads before.

It irks me that this hidden menu is not available in Canada. Pffffffft.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Well, their bread is really, really good, lol. I like their hidden menu, especially the lettuce wraps. But it's still basically just salads. Some soups would have been a great addition.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    I never really liked the food. It is okay, not amazing. However, for another place I can get a quick meal, I will try it!
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirk41 View Post
    I've actually never eaten at Panera (even in my pre-paleo days). How's the food?
    Its "meh". I used to work one floor above one back when it was still the "st. louis bread company". Never thought I'd get sick of the smell of fresh baking bread but it happens. To this day the smell makes my stomach revolt.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    A friend shared that this morning and I did a little happy dance, the steak and egg bowl looks wonderful. We don't have many good restaurant options nearby (the Moe's closed before we moved here, boo!), but there is a Panera and it even has a drive-thru. I used to get the pick 2 soup and salad--chicken cobb avocado salad and creamy tomato soup without the croutons. I looked up the nutrition info on the soup, it's not awful, I think the worst ingredient is the corn starch.
    Creamy tomato soup (tomatoes [tomatoes, tomato puree, salt, citric acid], water, cream [cream, milk], onions, seasoning [sugar, modified corn starch, salt, spices, mono and diglycerides], butter [cream, water], pure olive oil, garlic puree [fresh garlic, citric acid], sugar)
    Not perfect, but something I don't mind eating in a pinch.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    before moving to NZ, I practically lived at a panera because it was close to where DH worked, adn DS and I could go there all day. I used to get the greek salad, dressing on the side, with an extra apple (for ds) rather than bread. it was nice.

Mouse is offline Member
    Wow, thanks for sharing this! I have a Panera gift card hanging out in a drawer, and I eat there a few times a year with family/friends. I can't see eating there any more than very rarely, but at least I have better options now.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Dumb question: Why is this menu "hidden?" I guess they're afraid of a bread restaurant offering non-bread options to the point where they put themselves out of business?

Yay, the hidden items are listed at paneranutrition.com Here are the ingredients for the steak and egg bowl: Sirloin steak (beef top sirloin cap, seasoning [spice, dehydrated garlic, sea salt, canola oil]), pasteurized eggs, tomatoes, avocado, salt, black pepper. Could have done without the canola oil. That said, sounds like a fine 80/20 option.

I wouldn't go to Panera if I were was hypersensitive to gluten. Too easy to cross-contaminate.
    5'0" female, 44 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained to 109 on sugar cheat. Reset with 85P / 90C / 90F. Currently weaning off fat to 85P / 90C / 60F.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

calee is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I view Panera as a good fast food option. I ate salad there a few times for a business lunch and thought the ingredients were fresh. That steak and egg breakfast looks pretty good to me right now! Thanks for this link!