Thread: Will fasting slow down muscle gains? page

primer is offline Member

Will fasting slow down muscle gains?

I have heard that fasting is great for fat loss among other benefits. However I was wondering whether fasting would be beneficial towards, or hinder muscle gains. I've heard it both ways as some people say eat more frequently when trying to gain muscle (Mark for instance), while others such as Martin Berkhan of leangains.com says that fasting will help with muscle gain. Any thoughts?

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I've been doing a 16/8 fast/eat schedule and been gaining muscle. I've gained about 5 pounds since January 31st. It may seem slow, but I think the gains are pretty lean (little body fat to go along with the muscle). The only part I don't like is going to bed with a full stomach. I always eat as soon as I get home after my workout, and then I generally wait until later to eat another large meal. I'm interested to learn more of the specifics of Martin Berkhan's ideas on how to implements the 16/8 fasting style properly.

Tarlach is offline Member
    Fasting probably makes no difference to muscle gain. As long as you are getting enough food in, your muscles can grow.

You don't need to be eating all day to grow muscle.
    The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Fasting might influence what kind of weight you gain or lose. Ie fat or muscle...

But if you're not eating more than you're expending, you're not going to gain weight. So keep that in mind.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com