Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giving up crack might be easier page

MsValentine is offline Junior Member

Giving up crack might be easier

Shop Now
    Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of sympathy, LOL, as nobody else I know IRL is doing this plan, or has given up wheat- but me.

It's day 3, and I am feeling it like crazy today. The first 2 days were a breeze. Today as soon as I woke up I had a headache which would do a special little throb for some extra pain and fun each time I had to cough. I have one last raw, red, worn little nerve left, and in the worlds of Christina Agulera, I'm feeling like a superbitch today. And I'm so frigging tired.

Anybody who says wheat isn't a drug is crazy themselves. Before I used to laugh at the turn-of-phrase "being addicted" like it was a fun little way of saying you just really liked bread or cookies, cereal, etc. Oh nooooooo. There's a reason why you can unpack groceries and not maul a bag of carrots or cauliflower sitting on the counter, but when it comes to a fresh baguette or a loaf of sourdough sitting there, it's truly like you can't focus on anything else in the world until you eat some. That isn't normal behaviour. That is like talking about a drunk being obsessed with a bottle of vodka sitting there, unopened.

I hope this gets better tomorrow as today was such a wasted day for being in a shitty mood and having no energy. Honestly, if I didn't have a 5 year old to look after right now, I'd get into bed and just wait until morning. It's brutal!
    Last edited by MsValentine; 01-25-2013 at 02:13 PM.

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member
    Did you just give up grains or did you cut your overall carb intake way low?

I know how you feel. I am almost 4 weeks in right now and I felt horrible cranky and hungry for five days. However, once I got through that I started feeling better than ever. I sleep better so I wake up refreshed, I am rarely hungry, I have lots of energy and overall I am just in a better mood. Hang in there you can do it and it will get soooo much better.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MsValentine View Post
    Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of sympathy, LOL, as nobody else I know IRL is doing this plan, or has given up wheat- but me.

It's day 3, and I am feeling it like crazy today. The first 2 days were a breeze. Today as soon as I woke up I had a headache which would do a special little throb for some extra pain and fun each time I had to cough. I have one last raw, red, worn little nerve left, and in the worlds of Christina Agulera, I'm feeling like a superbitch today. And I'm so frigging tired.

Anybody who says wheat isn't a drug is crazy themselves. Before I used to laugh at the turn-of-phrase "being addicted" like it was a fun little way of saying you just really liked bread or cookies, cereal, etc. Oh nooooooo. There's a reason why you can unpack groceries and not maul a bag of carrots or cauliflower sitting on the counter, but when it comes to a fresh baguette or a loaf of sourdough sitting there, it's truly like you can't focus on anything else in the world until you eat some. That isn't normal behaviour. That is like talking about a drunk being obsessed with a bottle of vodka sitting there, unopened.

I hope this gets better tomorrow as today was such a wasted day for being in a shitty mood and having no energy. Honestly, if I didn't have a 5 year old to look after right now, I'd get into bed and just wait until morning. It's brutal!
    YUP, Know how you feel. I went through that months ago and those terrible feelings keep me from EVER going back to grains again. I went through a similar withdrawal from sugar the year before I let grains go from my life. These two items are so addictive and it's impossible to know that until you actually try to wean yourself off them. Strategies that helped me cope with the withdrawal were:
    1. Staying busy
    2. Not having any sugar or grains in the house -- ever.
    3. Always having an abundance of healthy foods in the house. I go grocery shopping 2-3 x per week to ensure I never run out of 'my foods'.
    4. Eat enough fat. If you are hungry or cranky try having a tablespoon of coconut oil with a glass of water OR have a mug of hot bouillon (salt will help with the withdrawal).
    5. Stay the course and trust in the process. You will feel really really good soon and you'll wonder at how most of the world walks around feeling like addicted zombies to these horrible 'food items'.

Oh, and one last thing ---- get to bed early because night time can exacerbate how badly you feel. Maybe tomorrow you will wake up to the rainbow. fingers crossed. /lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    It gets BETTER. Just keep on going and spoil yourself with some awesome primal foods (I reccomend a steak and sweet potato with butter).

I was a really amazing baker and can demolish bread and cakes. But now they barely register. You can beat it!

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    Make sure you are getting adequate electrolytes: salt, magnesium, potassium. I agree that it helps to have some Primal treats ready for times when you are tempted to eat something you shouldn't. For us it's 85% chocolate, high quality artisan cheese, fresh coconut, nuts etc. I didn't really go through withdrawal but I did mentally miss some of the items we gave up. My husband was a huge sweet eater, worse than me, and he went Primal with me and gave up the cookies and brownies and found our replacement treats very satisfying. If he can do it, anyone can. He used to want a dessert type item after every meal and we ate sugary cereals, bread and pasta as a majority of our diet pre-primal. Now when we see people who are over weight or sickly looking, with all kinds of ailments, and not the sharpest mentally, we always shake our heads sadly and say, "Grain Eaters!"

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    There is a site that has lots of grain free treats/ baking. Elanaspantry.com. Warning though, these treats are often higher in sugars like honey or agave than you want for every day, but they will help prevent a riot in your house if you have kids or if you need a treat to take some where or have a birthday that needs a cake. She uses mostly almond and coconut flours.

Wildrose is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    There is a site that has lots of grain free treats/ baking. Elanaspantry.com. Warning though, these treats are often higher in sugars like honey or agave than you want for every day, but they will help prevent a riot in your house if you have kids or if you need a treat to take some where or have a birthday that needs a cake. She uses mostly almond and coconut flours.
    You can probably substitute Xylitol or Stevia. But almond and coconut flour are super high in calories if the goal is weight loss.

Keep going... You will break through and feel amazing, just like hundreds of posters here have.

Since I started this I've been sampling different brands of dark chocolate with cayenne in it... I can see how that wouldn't be everyone's thing, but it's really helped. You can break off a few squares of that and feel like you had a treat, but because it's spicy instead of super sweet you're not likely to destroy the whole bar in one sitting. This is coming from a girl who could eat half a box of Thin Mints with no problem at all.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Babysteps! It does get easier. I made one transition at a time and it wasn't painful at all. I started with getting rid of the unhealthy fats. Then I cut wheat, corn & soy.

What are you eating instead? I don't mean what fake-food-gluten-free-processed-crap are you eating to pretend you're eating bread. I mean what have you been eating instead of bread?

Make sure everything you eat is high quality, high flavor, high fat and highly satisfying. Roasted chicken, slow cooked pork, barbecued steak. Veggies roasted in bacon fat, big ass salad with avocado and feta cheese. Sweet potato hash with sausage and poached eggs Full fat yogurt & berries. Butter.

This isn't a diet. Forget munching on carrot sticks. You don't need to deprive yourself. If everything you eat is bursting with flavor and completely satisfying, you won't miss bland bread and pasta.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast