Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 410

Thread: How My Primal Instincts Led Me to... Veganism page 6

  1. #51
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,605
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by whitebear View Post
    You'll be back. Your health WILL fail.Its only a matter of time.
    I hate to say it but I side with this. There is no such thing as healthy vegetarianism/veganism. We are omnivores, and there is no good argument to not consuming animal products, only convoluted reasoning and faulty premises. Vegetarianism/veganism is only possible in modern times, and it is a lifestyle of convenience. Only now do we have the disgusting luxury of being able to survive by ignoring nature through science. You can survive doing, but you will never be all you can be, and I am morally opposed to the lifestyle and find it disgraceful as it's a direct insult to our nature. That's my opinion and I doubt it'll change anytime soon.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  2. #52
    Graycat's Avatar
    Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,937
    Just do whatever makes you happy. You are seeing both sides of the argument. Former vegans sharing their experiences, etc.
    You are right. You would have been welcome into my tribe. More meat for me! Lol!
    Wishing you the best of luck on your journey.

  3. #53
    Primal Moose's Avatar
    Primal Moose is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    372
    Quote Originally Posted by PureFunctionalFitness View Post
    I have a fair few of my family who are vegan, but I think there are some things to consider.

    In my opinion, the only way of eating that is not fraught with contradictions is that of the meat eater, and particularly the hunter who kills and eats his/her own food. If a life is sacred, whatever the size of the animal, those who subsist mainly on cereal crops are indirectly responsible for millions of deaths, of insects, or rodents via rodenticides and being chopped to bits during harvest, animals trapped in wire mesh surrounding fields etc etc.

    In fact, I may eat the equivalent of 3 large animals per year, who knows, by eating no commodity crops at all, I am relatively free of guilt for the deaths of all those smaller animals.

    I was listening to a podcast the other week, can't remember who, maybe Robb Wolf, but they recounted something which had a profound affect on me. They recalled a statement by some scientist or archeologist from a few years back who said....

    "Vegans (or vegetarians, can't recall), are the first group of people to deny man's place in nature"

    I found it profound because we are part of nature, we have been for millions of years, and we are part of the food chain, at the top. That is nature, it is undeniable.

    We do however, have the ability in the modern world to make choices about that. But denying yourself meat because you think that not eating it will make you free of responsibility for mass carnage in the animal world is denying the reality that millions of small animals, and larger ones too, as well as human beings on slave wages and poisoned by pesticides, die every year to produce wheat, soy beans, etc etc, at the hands of some of the biggest agri-business companies in the world.

    I agree that the source of meat, and the life it has lived, should be considered, we should respect the lives that are lost for us to eat. I am on the verge of getting another air gun so I can hunt rabbit and pigeon. Find a local farm that will allow you to kill a few cockerels, or get into a share scheme with some locals for a beast or lamb etc.

    Those are just a few random views that erupted as I typed.
    This is the truth. I grew up in farming and have been working on farms since I was 14 (12 years) when I wasn't in school. You wanna see animal cruelty, walk behind a harvester. I'd be out in the tomato fields after harvests, lots of chopped up snakes and rabbits and mice. Not to mention things killed by pesticides. even on organic farms (most organic farms just use organic pesticides). Even smaller operations that may harvest by hand or guarantee not to use any poisons still till, dig up, reshape, etc the fields, destroying animal homes, killing insects under the ground, etc. Unless you grow everything in your backyard or get everything from someone who does, you have blood on your hands. Hell, there's more blood in a salad than on my grass-fed steak.

    All vegans and vegetarians do is transfer the death to where they don't have to see or consume it. Same way those who drive electric cars don't stop pollution, they just keep it out of their neighborhood by further polluting the neighborhoods around the power plants. It's all feel-good BS.

  4. #54
    quikky's Avatar
    quikky is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I hate to say it but I side with this. There is no such thing as healthy vegetarianism/veganism. We are omnivores, and there is no good argument to not consuming animal products, only convoluted reasoning and faulty premises. Vegetarianism/veganism is only possible in modern times, and it is a lifestyle of convenience. Only now do we have the disgusting luxury of being able to survive by ignoring nature through science. You can survive doing, but you will never be all you can be, and I am morally opposed to the lifestyle and find it disgraceful as it's a direct insult to our nature. That's my opinion and I doubt it'll change anytime soon.
    I agree with your general premise, however I don't think just because something is against our nature is disgraceful. If you want to be really natural, you probably don't want monogamy, or even consensual sex (if you're a male). I doubt Grok had a romantic courtship with Ms. Grok before the sex. I don't know how common rape was back in the pre-historic times, but I doubt an alpha Grok in his tribe asked permission before ravaging the female of his choice. Certainly they had sexual urges like us, and considering the males were naturally stronger than the females, there must have been a good deal of forced sex going on.

    Is it also disgraceful if we deny this part of our nature?

  5. #55
    AshleyL's Avatar
    AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    270
    All cattle are kept almost perpetually pregnant, by their own choice, it's what they do naturally. They have a 9+ month lactation and its natural for them to breed every year something is wrong if they don't. Actually I am milking two cows right now, both impregnanted when they went through two fences toget to a bull.

  6. #56
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,605
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    I agree with your general premise, however I don't think just because something is against our nature is disgraceful. If you want to be really natural, you probably don't want monogamy, or even consensual sex (if you're a male). I doubt Grok had a romantic courtship with Ms. Grok before the sex. I don't know how common rape was back in the pre-historic times, but I doubt an alpha Grok in his tribe asked permission before ravaging the female of his choice. Certainly they had sexual urges like us, and considering the males were naturally stronger than the females, there must have been a good deal of forced sex going on.

    Is it also disgraceful if we deny this part of our nature?
    I find moral vegetarianism/veganism to be "disgraceful" because it absolutely sends the message: "If you eat meat, you are not as good as me." To be a moral vegetarian/vegan, you are saying that people that do not ignore human nature are not good. Every single ethical vegetarian/vegan on planet Earth looks down upon people that eat meat. They must - it is a requirement of being a moral vegetarian/vegan. They could be your absolute closest lifelong friend. They still look down upon you for existing as a human should exist and not finding the willpower to resist nature at the expense of your own health and well-being. The lifestyle comes with a built-in self-righteous attitude. You have to have a self-righteous God complex to believe you are above Mother Nature.

    Those that do it for health reasons, I can't really blame them. They're just severely misinformed and I feel bad for them. They're worth saving.

    Note that this is much different from purchasing quality-sourced meats. CAFOs are horrible places. If you have qualms eating conventional meats, I can completely understand that. However, doing your best to purchase meat from animals raised and slaughtered humanly is a far car from looking down upon human nature as some kind of ethical superior.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  7. #57
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    9,303
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Moose View Post
    This is the truth. I grew up in farming and have been working on farms since I was 14 (12 years) when I wasn't in school. You wanna see animal cruelty, walk behind a harvester. I'd be out in the tomato fields after harvests, lots of chopped up snakes and rabbits and mice. Not to mention things killed by pesticides. even on organic farms (most organic farms just use organic pesticides). Even smaller operations that may harvest by hand or guarantee not to use any poisons still till, dig up, reshape, etc the fields, destroying animal homes, killing insects under the ground, etc. Unless you grow everything in your backyard or get everything from someone who does, you have blood on your hands. Hell, there's more blood in a salad than on my grass-fed steak.

    All vegans and vegetarians do is transfer the death to where they don't have to see or consume it. Same way those who drive electric cars don't stop pollution, they just keep it out of their neighborhood by further polluting the neighborhoods around the power plants. It's all feel-good BS.
    Yeah, and if you are going to grow your food you'll be faced with the choice: bone and blood meal, fish meal? Or do I use fossil-fuel-based fertilizer with the death that comes from mining, refining, fracking and the like.

    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyL View Post
    All cattle are kept almost perpetually pregnant, by their own choice, it's what they do naturally. They have a 9+ month lactation and its natural for them to breed every year something is wrong if they don't. Actually I am milking two cows right now, both impregnanted when they went through two fences toget to a bull.
    Modern dairy operations will impregnate the dairy cows with artificial insemination and often they will do it while the cow is still lactating, which is supposed to actually be really bad for the hormone profile of the resulting milk.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

  8. #58
    YogaBare's Avatar
    YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,547
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I Every single ethical vegetarian/vegan on planet Earth looks down upon people that eat meat. They must - it is a requirement of being a moral vegetarian/vegan.
    That's absolutely not true. You're projecting your own tendencies to look down on people onto a huge percentage of the planet that you have never met.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  9. #59
    Primal Moose's Avatar
    Primal Moose is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    372
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Yeah, and if you are going to grow your food you'll be faced with the choice: bone and blood meal, fish meal? Or do I use fossil-fuel-based fertilizer with the death that comes from mining, refining, fracking and the like.
    Not necessarily. I know of one vegan family that incorporated animals into their garden/urban farming. They don't eat them or any of their products, just use their feces and what not so they can get around fossil fuels and/or meal. It's not easy at all, but doable.

  10. #60
    bloodorchid's Avatar
    bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    tn
    Posts
    9,068
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Moose View Post
    This is the truth. I grew up in farming and have been working on farms since I was 14 (12 years) when I wasn't in school. You wanna see animal cruelty, walk behind a harvester. I'd be out in the tomato fields after harvests, lots of chopped up snakes and rabbits and mice. Not to mention things killed by pesticides. even on organic farms (most organic farms just use organic pesticides). Even smaller operations that may harvest by hand or guarantee not to use any poisons still till, dig up, reshape, etc the fields, destroying animal homes, killing insects under the ground, etc. Unless you grow everything in your backyard or get everything from someone who does, you have blood on your hands. Hell, there's more blood in a salad than on my grass-fed steak.

    All vegans and vegetarians do is transfer the death to where they don't have to see or consume it. Same way those who drive electric cars don't stop pollution, they just keep it out of their neighborhood by further polluting the neighborhoods around the power plants. It's all feel-good BS.
    this

    OP i don't really care if you want to go vegan for health, but the blinders thing you have going on.. i don't know

    also, animals are wonderful, but they can also be pretty cruel. murder, rape, torture, infanticide, cannibalism all go with the cuddly faces

    i still prefer animals to people for the most part, but it's not all bunnies out there :/
    beautiful
    yeah you are

    I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •