Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: How My Primal Instincts Led Me to... Veganism page 34

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    Glad I could be of service.

Now I flip the question back on you: do you think you're morally superior to those who eat meat?
    Well, it depends on the meat. If they're eating meat from animals who lived their entire lives in misery and torture, I think they're being incredibly selfish--"other creatures should endure horrible pain so I can eat bacon whenever I want"--but I don't necessarily think I'm better than them. Lots of times they're just uninformed.

And it's not just meat--I heard that quinoa demand in America is leading to mistreatment of workers in Peru. (Another reason to not eat quinoa besides the fact that it makes my gut feel awful).

There are definitely food choices that are "kinder" than others. Humanely raised meat is probably a "morally superior" meal to, say, bananas that were wrenched from the hands of third-world workers. In the end, we all have to do what feels right to us.

0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChance View Post
    There are definitely food choices that are "kinder" than others. Humanely raised meat is probably a "morally superior" meal to, say, bananas that were wrenched from the hands of third-world workers. In the end, we all have to do what feels right to us.
    IMO humanely raised meat is the most moral thing you can eat. Hunting and eating wild game might be arguably more natural but sometimes the only humane or moral thing about it is that it got a swift clean death rather than a slow torturous one from some other predator.

There are just as many ethical indictments against vegan foods as there are CAFCO meats. Choosing a vegan diet, a luxury entirely allowed by modern day living, disrespects your body, your nature, and your own needs. The ultimate in immoral choices IMO. Then there's the ethical considerations for all the rest of the plant based foods that have been thoroughly discussed elsewhere. Vegans have absolutely zero reason to feel morally superior to anyone. Zero.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    There are just as many ethical indictments against vegan foods as there are CAFCO meats. Choosing a vegan diet, a luxury entirely allowed by modern day living, disrespects your body, your nature, and your own needs. The ultimate in immoral choices IMO. Then there's the ethical considerations for all the rest of the plant based foods that have been thoroughly discussed elsewhere. Vegans have absolutely zero reason to feel morally superior to anyone. Zero.
    *slow clap* This is exactly how I feel about it.

Also, I have better things to do than look for ways to feel morally superior based on what I eat. Like, thousands of better things. (I'm not saying that's what you're doing, 2ndChance; I'm talking about vegan culture in general.)

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Nothing lives without taking away the ability of something else to live.

Nothing.

We are *all* alive at the expense of something else.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    JMO, but primal instincts won't lead to veganism because it isn't natural; you need merely to look at your teeth to know this. Political correctness taken to such an extreme that one would give up one's health in sacrifice to cows, chickens, and pigs will lead one to veganism.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    My idea of primal instincts is "eating what I feel like eating when I feel like eating it" and for the past few months I haven't felt like eating meat/eggs (dairy has always been gross). Like I said, if I wanted them, I would eat them.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChance View Post
    My idea of primal instincts is "eating what I feel like eating when I feel like eating it" and for the past few months I haven't felt like eating meat/eggs (dairy has always been gross). Like I said, if I wanted them, I would eat them.
    If that was my idea of primal instincts, I'd still be eating Wendy's, pizza, and beer as my main 3 food groups. So glad I restored my ability to recognize the true nourishment by body craved but didn't recognize. And I guarantee that the food I eat results in less suffering than the food you eat.

I can tell from your rhetoric that you read some pro-vegan blogs or books or articles. Will you do me and yourself a favor and read one pro-vegan article written by someone who cares more about your wellness than your ideology?

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I wasn't going to say anything, but "eating what I feel like eating when I feel like eating it" sounds more like a fast food motto than primal living.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

patski is offline Senior Member
    Veganism/vegetarianism for many, is an emotional response to animal suffering. I don't think there's a single person alive who enjoys seeing animals suffer; unless of course, you're a budding sociopath. (Edit: Morrissey is the exception: he loves himself more than anything, INCLUDING animals). If I followed my emotions to eat what I wanted, I'd stuff my face on cheese, ice cream and potato chips. ALL DAY.

But at the end of the day, we live at the expense of others. The fact that we drive cars, earn a living, take transit, own a home...whatever. Other creatures are dead because of US.

I am reminded of this fact frequently. I live in a beautiful area by the lake with plenty of parks, trees, and loads of wildlife. Racoons, coyotes. I'm always sad when I see a dead raccoon on the side of the road. Why? They were here FIRST! We took over! Humans industrialized, moved in, and destroyed. We continue to do so.

I've said this before, but I feel vegans/vegetarians have a serious problem with their own self-esteem, as they are willing to give up their own health and well-being for other sentient beings. The thing that also gets me is many Buddhists are practicing vegetarians. Where's the 'loving-kindness' towards oneself in that? The Dalai Lama isn't a vegetarian! For health reasons!

While I completely agree that eating humanely raised/slaughtered animals is a better choice, it is also inherently selfish: that flesh is better for our health. I'm not sure choosing it is more moral than CAFO meat, or just a 'better choice'.

Lastly, I find it offensive (and it's hard to offend me) and cruel to imply that vegetarianism makes one more compassionate. That smacks of elitism that only the first world spew!
    Last edited by patski; 03-26-2013 at 07:09 AM.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

patski is offline Senior Member
    This is yet another reason why animals are awesomer than humans:

Seal pups use surfboard as a slip-n-slide : TreeHugger

I laughed so hard I cried watching this!
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast