Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: How My Primal Instincts Led Me to... Veganism page 32

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChance View Post
    Hey look, my thread has resurfaced! For what it's worth, I've been vegan for approx. 2.5 months now. I feel great, I'm as skinny as ever, I feel like my conscience is clearer. I may not stay vegan forever, but I haven't had any problems yet! I make sure to ask myself, do you want eggs? and listen to my heart for an answer, to make sure I'm not denying my body something it wants. There was a lot of vitriol earlier in the thread, but a lot of good points, too. I've been subsisting on mostly potatoes (red, gold, sweet, all kinds--I'm irish, it's the ancestral way!) cooked in coconut oil, lots of veggies, occasional fruit, nuts, dark chocolate, delicious rice/lentil/garlic/onion/spices concoctions, and I drink tons of tea.

Everyone's body is different-- I was vegetarian for ~8 years before I tried primal, during which time I ate mostly SAD garbage, lots of dairy, did not feel good at all. So I gave up grains (which did not come naturally to me), starting eating lots of meat/eggs/fat, but it wasn't working for me. I didn't gain weight, but my mood suffered, it didn't seem right for one person to demand so much of the environment (4+ eggs plus meat daily)... I'm a small woman, I don't need much in the way of calories, I don't exercise much except for yoga and occasional biking. My veganism may not last forever but its been very cleansing so far, and I plan to continue it until I don't feel like continuing it anymore.
    More power to you I appreciate the diversity in opinion and I'm glad it's going so well for you. You seem pretty logical about it too - don't deny yourself something if you feel you need it.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

UTfootball747 is offline Member
    Uhh, someone at some point cleared up the fact that unfertilized chicken eggs are not 'unborn babies,' right....

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UTfootball747 View Post
    Uhh, someone at some point cleared up the fact that unfertilized chicken eggs are not 'unborn babies,' right....

Yeah, more or less.

My moral hesitance to eat them is like this, though... even the happiest chickens I've encountered (free-roaming, eat mostly organic feed..table scraps, etc...on a local farm) live a life that I'm not sure *I* would want to live (kept inside in winter, can't go outside at own choosing...yes, I overanalyze almost everything in life, but that's what makes me me), so I don't know if I can exploit them in good conscience. If I do, then God might take away my right to go outside at my choosing... the karmic way, and all... But if I crave eggs, then yeah, I'll have to go ahead and exploit them. (I haven't craved eggs yet, though I frequently crave rice, so...)

It's primal living in the modern world, after all. I think if Grok had the option to eat factory farmed meat, he wouldn't, because there's so many better things available (organic veggies!), and most animal products these days are tainted to some degree (pollution in the waterways, etc.)... Even veggies aren't perfect, but yanno, we all do what we can. I only use green dishwashing solution, don't have a microwave... But yeah, everyone's different, we're all entitled to have and share our opinions...
    Last edited by 2ndChance; 03-20-2013 at 09:47 AM.

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    It's great that each and every one of us are actually different species!

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Look guys a vegan!

ATTACK!!!

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry H View Post
    It's great that each and every one of us are actually different species!
    Go back and have a look at your biology text, there is only one species in the Genus Homo still alive today and that is Sapiens, unless you have some secrets you're not telling, have you stumbled across another bipedal primate that may belong to the Homo Genus?.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    My moral hesitance to eat them is like this, though... even the happiest chickens I've encountered (free-roaming, eat mostly organic feed..table scraps, etc...on a local farm) live a life that I'm not sure *I* would want to live (kept inside in winter, can't go outside at own choosing...yes, I overanalyze almost everything in life, but that's what makes me me), so I don't know if I can exploit them in good conscience. If I do, then God might take away my right to go outside at my choosing... the karmic way, and all... But if I crave eggs, then yeah, I'll have to go ahead and exploit them. (I haven't craved eggs yet, though I frequently crave rice, so...)
    possum, raccoons, foxes, hawks, dogs, cats, coyotes, snakes

these are their predators just in my neck of the woods. if you don't want the little fluffy cannibals to die horribly you have a roost inside a pen of some sort, that you open up and let them forage around during the day after the hawks have given up waiting for the magic forcefield to dissipate and there are no roaming dogs or cats in the vicinity and you can keep a reasonable eye on the flock

or you could build a pen on wheels and push it around to different parts of the yard so they can scratch in peace

winter, well, it's been a while since i had chickens (4H) but i imagine some would find a way to kill themselves in the cold on accident

i've only seen one flock left to roam free as nature intended. there's only one survivor, a rooster. and that's because he spends his days and nights streaking from under one bush to the other. you can't catch him to put him somewhere safe so the poor thing just keeps running and hiding

they need pens and roosts, they're too easily picked off
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, more or less.

My moral hesitance to eat them is like this, though... even the happiest chickens I've encountered (free-roaming, eat mostly organic feed..table scraps, etc...on a local farm) live a life that I'm not sure *I* would want to live (kept inside in winter, can't go outside at own choosing...
    ehhhhh, not so much.... I raise chickens.... I have 80 layers currently, and they have access to the outdoors all day every day, rain or shine..... they get locked up at night, but their instincts tell them to seek shelter at night.
    I should hope you wouldn't want to live like a chicken, since you are human and don't have the feathers that protect you and keep you warm....
    As far as the over-analyzing.... that can be changed. You don't have the same thought processes, moral outlook or opinions you did when you were 5 do you? You have changed and will continue to change. The only constant thing in life is change. Nothing stays the same way forver....

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Go back and have a look at your biology text, there is only one species in the Genus Homo still alive today and that is Sapiens, unless you have some secrets you're not telling, [I]have you stumbled across another bipedal primate that may belong to the Homo Genus?[/I].
    Exactly my point altho I was trying to be facetious and humorous about it. WE are not all that different.
    Last edited by Terry H; 03-21-2013 at 04:36 AM.

grokgramma is offline Member
    I am going to tell you something you don't want to hear. Veganism is a dangerous game people play. How do I know? I was a vegan for many years and it wrecked my health. It doesn't happen instantly, but over a long period of time. The longer you are a vegan, the more vitamin deficient you will become unless you take a lot of supplements. I don't even agree with Mark S. about taking supplements. They are not primal, paleo OR natural. You can get all the nutrients and vitamins you need on a truly primal/paleo diet, but you can't on a vegan diet. For one thing, you will become vitamin B-12 deficient. I was and I developed periphial neuropathy (tremors in my feet and hands and twitching in my face). You will also develop muscle wasting. Everyone loses some muscle over the years, but with vegans it is worse. Muscle wasting (sarcopenia) not only makes your body look bad, it makes you tired all the time and eventually people with muscle wasting find it difficult to do ordinary every day tasks. No amount of strength training or other exercise can rebuild your muscles on their own, although added protein combined with strength training does help. You might be thinking you can get protein from beans and soy and that is true, but the aminos in those foods are not complete and you still won't get vitamin B-12. It is an open secret among long-time vegans that some long time profile vegans have developed mental problems from a non-supplementary vegan diet. As far as animal cruelty and the environment goes, rice farming in other countries not only uses cattle, but the production of rice contributes just as much to habitat destruction and global warming as the cattle industry and most of the world's rice comes from countries were there are little to no regulations. I used to be a huge animal rights activist. However now I realize that raising livestock actually preserves those species. If we stopped raising cows, chickens and pigs, their species would die out. You might think that would be best, but considering that wild animals are even more endangered, it wouldn't be long before the world would have no animals, domesticated or wild. You can find places that care for their animals in a humane way and have a very small impact on the environment. They are increasing in number and the links are provided on this website. So take it from a long-time former vegan, veganism not only is not the way to go if you want to live a healthy life.
    Last edited by grokgramma; 03-21-2013 at 08:20 AM.

Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast