Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: How My Primal Instincts Led Me to... Veganism page 31

FionaFey is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I am lucky! No gas with Broccoli!! BUT give me a sugar-free candy and my room is a no-go-zone!!!!!

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    jojo, don't take things so personally. I was not responding to your post.

In fact, it wasn't one post that 'inspired' my response. It was a host of posts over time in the thread and outside the thread that lead to my post.

And, one might also read that my post was likewise *offered* in humor: satire. And likewise that *satire* is a form of social policing. Yeah?
    Yes, you are right. Sometimes the internet sucks, and sometimes it is so awesomely beautiful... like a trip to the moon...
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

FionaFey is offline Junior Member
    Wow! Well, this post certainly has a lot of replies!! Y'know having been a (cheat vegan- I sometimes took omega3 fish oils to help my gut) Vegan for a good few years, then quit veganism back in 1st August 2012 going Paleo, I guess everyone may be different, and if you can sustain great fitness while being Vegan, good luck! But it made me VERY ill !!
    Yes, it does feel GREAT to do vege juicing and greens only for a few week, but vegan protein just is not the same as fish based omega 3.... Also my problem with vegan/veggie was the ratio of O6 to O3 went wrong!!! Too much O6 leads to access Arachidonic acids, thus Inflammation.....

ALSO vegan was SOOOo HIGH CARB, I gained weight, even though I was sugar free, gluten free, no junk etc!!!!
    I used to be a model, so imagine what I felt like!!!! Yuck! I also developed Vit deficiencies, even though I took loads of pills!!
    I developed ENDOCRINE problems like vit D and Thyroid too, which Paleo has cured without drugs!
    Seriously, you dont want to mess with the thyroid!!!!
    My hormones went bonkers too, WAY too much oestrogen's thanks to all the organic non-gmo soya I ate while being Vegan!!

SInce most folks on here are AMerican, I will translate weight and size talk to the usa!
    I was a size 2-4, then had ballooned to a size 10-12!! A photo from a Christmas party confirmed it, I thought, OMG what has happened to me?!! I look like a bloated pudding!!! Where is 'I once walked down the catwalk infront of Elle MacPherson in lingerie Fiona?' !!!
    I cant remember WHAT exactly was my point of information for going Paleo....I knew that I never liked beans anyway, and lentils gave me muscle paralysis. Being gluten free for decades, and corn free, made it no big deal to give up the grains!!
    So on 1st August 2012 I went bang, way into the change!! I lost a lot of weight in just ONE month!! A whole 1 stone ( thats 14 pounds) ! I could fit back into my jeans and hot pants yay!!!
    I started to see abs appear!! wow! I ate salmon everyday too, and I felt INCREDIBLE!!!!!
    I am not great with red meats, but tried "game" like venison/deer.
    Due to my past history of joint/skin issues I would not eat pork due to it being very acidic.
    My body was not keen on the venison, like years before my body just did not like red meats..
    Then I made the big mistake of eating eggs!!! I had an allergy to them when i was five years old..
    I ate egg whites, as I wanted to get really ripped and lean.....
    BOOM!!!! Auto-immune inflammation.....
    The pain of arthritis is horrible, and not being able to move in a simple way is horrible....

So here I am, just getting over this flare of inflammation please God....
    I taylor Paleo to my body....So I eat chicken, turkey, fish, fish oil/fish fat, vegetables (accept nightshades), fruits especially cherries as they get acid out the body and my body is a big fan of pineapple! Sometimes Whey protein, I got on really well with it! A few nuts and seeds like Chai. Loads of herbs. Zero/low carb things like Konjacu pasta (japanses pasta that has zero carbs, made from seaweed or konjac jelly).. Make stuff in Vitamix!

I do not eat red meat, can't. No eggs, no cow cheese, or goat cheese, or any cheese!! ( too much purines and acid).

SO folks!! After my flare, I need to get back on track!!! I have gained a few ounces due to trying to recover from the flare. I need to get back into Ketosis!!! SO from thursday this week, its lean-a-thon protein time!! Zero carbing!! Flabelos machine and swimming, yoga, ab crunches!

My target weight is 8st (112 LBs) I managed to get to 8.4st. But now I am 8.13 thanks to eating buckwheat, quinoa- (SUPPOSeD to be SEEDS!!!!) as fibre to help heal from the flare!!! I must admit, even though when I first lost that weight, and felt incredible, the one thing that was a bit worrying, was a bled from my bum for a whole month.....Anyone else had bowel issues with high protein low carb?? I MUST use Lepicol every day now (made from physillium husks and probiotics).

Anyhow!! Here we go again, BUT without the egg mistakes!!

- But be careful if your doing Vegan!! As it is hard work to fix your body's endocrine system!!

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    I did vegan for bout three months when I was around OP's age. I had a professor that really sold it. I mean it was THE only way to eat healthy. Course I was lucky enough to have another professor simply ask me "so does proffesor whatever (no names) look healthy to you?" Well that was enough for me to start looking harder at his assertions and how I really felt at the time. The rest as they say is history.

Kata is offline Senior Member
    I was a vegetarian when I was a kid, for about 20 minutes. Between the time it took me to finish watching Babe, and the time it took us to get to Shoney's, where they had all-you-can-eat-bacon.

Primal Moose is offline Senior Member

patski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    The disconnect is precisely what the view that humans are superior and vegans have in common. Both positions believe that humans are out side of the laws of nature, one holds that we can deny our biology and the other that we should have dominion over nature, both are disconnected from nature. The very fact that vegans think we can deny our biology implies that they believe humans are superior to animals since no other animal can or would deny its nature. Vegans are therefor refusing to accept the fact that humans are animals.

I think the vegan perspective is often driven by very sweet and caring motives but the fact remains that they are unwilling to embrace the reality of our species. Humans are not superior, in fact in the web of life we may be one of the most unnecessary creatures.
    Love this! Perfectly put.

I've come to the conclusion that I like animals most days far, far better than humans. In fact, if you aren't crying while reading this link, you may need to check if you have a pulse:

14 Stories That Prove Animals Have Souls

I've also come to the conclusion that some vegetarians/vegans have a deep rooted sense of self-loathing. Their love for animals supersedes their love for their own health and well-being.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I don't really give a shit what the OP wants to do with her life - but I think a lot of "moral" vegans have low self esteem issues. They don't seem to care enough about themselves to "cover their bases" nutritionally. Even if you don't ever want to eat meat again, if you won't eat eggs (that are not fertilized, and can be bought from good farms with happy hens) or oysters, etc, because one is an animal product and the other one "may" be an animal (technically isn't) then you're just a fool that doesn't really care about nutrition at all.

I believe in the importance of meat in ones diet, but also believe you can be pretty well fed if you exclude all of it but include some eggs, some cheeses and/or full fat dairy, some shellfish, etc and take care not to eat junk. My gf's brother is basically going down this road, and that's all I told him.
    I think you're in my head, dude.

Annnnndddddd, I resurrected an older thread. Durrrrrrrr.
    Last edited by patski; 03-20-2013 at 07:51 AM.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Patski Glad to see you're back! You've been missed.

Thanks for the link, great stories.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Hey look, my thread has resurfaced! For what it's worth, I've been vegan for approx. 2.5 months now. I feel great, I'm as skinny as ever, I feel like my conscience is clearer. I may not stay vegan forever, but I haven't had any problems yet! I make sure to ask myself, do you want eggs? and listen to my heart for an answer, to make sure I'm not denying my body something it wants. There was a lot of vitriol earlier in the thread, but a lot of good points, too. I've been subsisting on mostly potatoes (red, gold, sweet, all kinds--I'm irish, it's the ancestral way!) cooked in coconut oil, lots of veggies, occasional fruit, nuts, dark chocolate, delicious rice/lentil/garlic/onion/spices concoctions, and I drink tons of tea.

Everyone's body is different-- I was vegetarian for ~8 years before I tried primal, during which time I ate mostly SAD garbage, lots of dairy, did not feel good at all. So I gave up grains (which did not come naturally to me), starting eating lots of meat/eggs/fat, but it wasn't working for me. I didn't gain weight, but my mood suffered, it didn't seem right for one person to demand so much of the environment (4+ eggs plus meat daily)... I'm a small woman, I don't need much in the way of calories, I don't exercise much except for yoga and occasional biking. My veganism may not last forever but its been very cleansing so far, and I plan to continue it until I don't feel like continuing it anymore.
    Last edited by 2ndChance; 03-20-2013 at 09:14 AM.

Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast