Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: How My Primal Instincts Led Me to... Veganism page 29

PaleoPanda is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    We're really the only species who has harnessed the how of getting to drink other species milk. But i also know that a lot of animals go nutso over dairy if they can get ahold of it. Cats and dogs are pretty notable (because msot of us have seen our pets go for it).
    Yup, my dog loves it, but the results aren't at all pretty, it upsets his stomach pretty bad!

whitebear is offline Senior Member
    Oats give me and my wife very painful gas. We tried them once for our son and he threw them up. I used to love Irish oatmeal so I would just deal with the gas. I would eat a big bowl of the stuff only to be starving about two hours later. We don't even bother with them anymore. We've written oats off.

Question for the OP; do you have pets? If so, are you going to kill them by feeding them a vegetarian diet, or contradict yourself and feed them meat? If you don't have a pet then you are killing them by proxy by not adopting one. You can't win. You are trying so hard to be morally "just" on such a global level that you can't be successful. If you would only start on a local level (eat local, volunteer local) you, and your inherant guilt may find some relief. I am less concerned about your vegetarianism than I am about the path you are trying to follow. You can't win, you can't not cause harm. In the end, you are destined to still feel guilt, and now you will do it malnurished in both body and soul.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalJewishAmericanPrincess View Post
    You can't win, you can't not cause harm. In the end, you are destined to still feel guilt, and now you will do it malnurished in both body and soul.
    Put this on a poster superimposed over the picture of a block of tofu and I would totally buy it.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

iniQuity is online now Senior Member
    OP, you mention you read The Mood Cure... a book that specifically tells you go eat protein and fats in order not to feel down in the dumps, but your "primal instincts" are telling you to do the complete opposite? Did you try any of the recommended supplements for your condition?
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    for dinner, gets 3 cups cooked broccoli -- which is about what I eat at dinner when I have broccoli
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I love how threads like this become a place to just drop in and shoot the shit.....

When OP gives you lemons kinda thing I guess
    O gosh, three cups of broccoli would launch me to the moon!
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    Oh, now it's time to talk about our bowels?! Goody! It's not disgusting or anything, it's not like no one wants to know! Lets talk about it!

I come from a long line of familial bowel and tummy problems. My mom has spastic colon and often has gas/bloating. My sister has IBS and some other stuff. My dad has tummy problems all the time. Gas was a huge part of our lives. I would usually had a low-grade tummy ache on-going, and under stress, it went to full bloating and constipation. I thought this was just my normal.

Then I went vegan.

I discovered that I was lactose intolerant, soy sensitive. I stopped eating soy, which wasn't that difficult. My low-level, all-the-time tummy ache went away. I learned to eat and cook a wide-variety of veggies. I discovered that I felt better on veggies, and that I disliked (or felt heavy/gassy) on beans/grains and heavy when eating potatoes/sweet potatoes. I was so-so on squashes. So, starchy things weren't my bestie. I ate them to feel full, though, because those potatoes make me feel full forever. Heavy and with a bit of a tummy ache, but full.

After moving to vegetarianism, I cut back on grains/beans because now I had eggs. Raw dairy was so-so. It wouldn't be as intense as pasteurized dairy, but it would still cause tummy ache.

Then I moved to primal. I cut grains and potatoes/sweet potatoes. Since then, I've had no problems with tummy at all (unless sick such as food poisoning or flu -- which I had once each last year).

I have a nice, easy-to-pass bowel movement every day. Color and shape are textbook awesome. Shall I photograph it for you since you are so concerned about my broccoli intake? I can do that just for all of my primal friends. Since you are all so interested.

I no longer have a running tummy ache or gas. I rarely bloat. These things crop up when I have: too many starchy veg, dairy, or grains. They do not show up when I eat veggies (i get between 80 and 125 g carbs per day, btw) -- and it's not unusual for me to have a salad that is 1 full head of lettuce, 1/2 telegraph cucumber (those are the really long ones), one-half fennel bulb, one half white onion, 1/2 bunch large/long celery, and a full avocado (plus olive oil, sea salt, and pepper).

It's delicious and refreshing. It feels good. And I don't have digestive issues. Thanks for asking.

*eye roll*

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    What?

Imagine all of us sitting in a room together having this conversation, and someone mentions how they can eat 3 cups of broccoli, and then someone else says with a smile on their face, open body posture, and a lilt in their voice "wow, you can 3 cups at a time? that is amazing 'cause 3 cups would send me to the moon!"

At least that is how it was intended, as humorous.
    Last edited by jojohaligo; 01-29-2013 at 01:21 PM.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Lol

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I love how the OP left probably at around page 3...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast