Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair loss and thyroid problems from low carb page

Mireia is offline Member

Hair loss and thyroid problems from low carb

I have been dealing with what I thought were hormonal problems - acne, hairloss, fatigue, PMS and weird periods. When it did not stop I got my thyroid checked and I came back Hypo with an elevated TSH (other levels weren't measured yet). I had been off meds since starting Paleo with a low TSH, so I find that surprising. My liver levels were also too high. I tried different things, adding supplements, being much more strict (I cut out honey), but nothing helped. Upon researching I read about low carb paleo and high carb paleo when it comes to hair loss and a LOT of sites said going low carb too fast can actually cause thyroid like symptoms, including hair loss.

I was only eating 59g of carbs a day instead of my higher carb intake in summer, which was 70-110. I was not planning to get into ketosis, I am actually trying to gain weight, I just got tired of carbs like carrots and sweet potato.

Is it likely that this is my problem? And if so, how can I reverse the effects? I read that one needs to eat an insane amount of carbs to get out of it? I am back on my usual 70-110 carbs and a bit more sugar from honey and fruit, I feel less fatigued but my hair is still coming out in clumps. I am so embarrassed to leave the house! I am 30 and female by the way.

Zach is offline Banned
    Not surprising at all. Low carb and high protein diets can cause hypo and liver problems. When the thyroid is not functioning correctly it will cause a decline in metabolism which also effects how efficiently your organs are working. An excessive intake of protein is also a problem, causing inflammation and suppressing the thyroid further.

Lower your protein to only 50-70g a day, severely limit your intake of PUFA from all sources, increase your carb intake from ripe fruit and good starch like potatoes and white rice and make sure to use salt in your diet if you dont already.

Also i would highly recommend you check out RayPeat.com and DannyRoddy.com While they are not paleo advocates, they do specialize in thyroid/hormones and Roddy specifically with hair growth.

meloroaster is offline Senior Member
    you made me think of this...
    Why I Ditched Low Carb

she has something in there about hair loss, also body temp and thyroid. i found LC was ok for a short period but then did not work for me (esp cause i exercise a lot). i am back up to 150 or so carb with high fat and decent protein intake (70-80g). feel WAY better.

you may also want to check out Anthony Colpo

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Hey Mireia,

Zach had a lot of similar problems from low carb which he cured by following the tips above so I'm sure you can take his advice.

I just wanted to say I'm really sorry that you havent been well and I feel your pain about the appearance-induced agoraphobia. You may not look your best right now, but that it's not going to last and I'm sure you're still beautiful. Anyway, strangers on the street won't know the difference

Make sure you tell your close ones what's going on with you so they can give you support.

Hugs!

PS. Low carb wasn't optimal for me either.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Low carb doesn't work for everyone, and if you want to gain weight, you should not be eating low carb!

There are plenty of other friendly carbs out there. Eat fruit! Have honey! White rice is okay as long as it doesn't bother you. Even regular potatoes, some say, are fine.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Mireia is offline Member
    Wow thanks everyone for the quick answers!

Do you know how soon I should see bettering from eating mote carbs again? I was thinking it might take time for my thyroid to regulate, therefore it will take some time for the hair loss to stop too if that was really the culprit...

Zach

Ever since going Primal/ Paleo I have been reacting to foods like rice, potatos and grains (not dairy as much). I wonder what caused this. I never had any obvious problems with them. I often eat sweet potato or carrot for carbs.
    I read a few things on Danny Roddys Page and what he wrote scares me off of my diet a little. I am conflicted because for the past year I learned that so many things are bad, yet I am developing problems cutting them out. There is information overload out there.

Meloroaster
    Thank you I will read this! My protein intake was about 110g when I was on low carb (59 g) and my fat was around 120g. Not sure how I eat so much protein. I never looked into nutrition much, I changed my diet because I wanted to fix a bunch of health problems.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mireia View Post
    Zach

Ever since going Primal/ Paleo I have been reacting to foods like rice, potatos and grains (not dairy as much). I wonder what caused this. I never had any obvious problems with them. I often eat sweet potato or carrot for carbs.
    I read a few things on Danny Roddys Page and what he wrote scares me off of my diet a little. I am conflicted because for the past year I learned that so many things are bad, yet I am developing problems cutting them out. There is information overload out there.
    It is tough with so much conflicting information and what works well for one, certainly wont for another. The best bet is to forget about healthy and unhealthy foods for a minute and try to find the foods the you, A. like to eat, B. make you feel good and C. reverse these issues.

For me, that was fruit, dairy and eggs with little bits of other stuff. Meat and veg was and is not good for me in big amounts. Im willing to be it will help you as well because i have seen many others improve your symptoms doing the same thing.

As for how long it will take, that depends on how much damage was done and if you can figure out whats right for you. What were you lab tests if you dont mind me asking?

Mireia is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Hey Mireia,

Zach had a lot of similar problems from low carb which he cured by following the tips above so I'm sure you can take his advice.

I just wanted to say I'm really sorry that you havent been well and I feel your pain about the appearance-induced agoraphobia. You may not look your best right now, but that it's not going to last and I'm sure you're still beautiful. Anyway, strangers on the street won't know the difference

Make sure you tell your close ones what's going on with you so they can give you support.

Hugs!

PS. Low carb wasn't optimal for me either.
    Thank you for the heads up!

Some family members are not understanding at all. I tried telling my sister and my mother/ father and I feel they only hear half of what I say. They often don't respond or change the subject. They don't think that hair is an issue and that I can just cut it off and regrow or keep it short...who needs long hair anyway and PMS is supposedly normal now.

My hair used to be quite long (thigh) and because of repeated hair loss I har to keep shortening it. Back then a pituitary tumor and prolactin where causing it but my prolactin is fine this time.
    It just gets frustrating to go through this over and over again.

Mireia is offline Member
    Namelesswonder
    I guess it is not good for everyone, but some still advise it and I was told ketosis is a good state to be in. I felt like i was floating though!
    I did actually gain some weight and am only a little under my goal now, but I guess it is due to my sluggish thyroid now! Not what I wanted
    Last edited by Mireia; 01-25-2013 at 02:27 PM.

Mireia is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Zach
    My doctor did not test T3 and T4, I have to wait for an edocrinologist to test this on the 12th of February (long waiting time sigh)
    But my TSH was 4.96, even when I had thyroid problems way in the past and had high antibodies my TSH was still around 3.
    Then it also says:
    Leukozyten: 6.47
    Erythrozyten: 4.67
    Haemoglobin: 13.2
    Haematokrit: 41.0
    MCV 87.8
    MCHC 32.2
    Thromozyten 249
    GOT + 80
    GPT +128
    Kreatinin i. serum jaffe 0.68
    GFR according to MDRD 107.98
    Prolaktin 191 (uU/ ml) (normal 46-622)
    Anti Thyroid Antibodies- TSH receptor AK 1.24 (nornal < 2.00)
    Thyroid Peroxidase AK (TPO) +> 1300 U/ml

This is like chinese to me....I don't know what all that is in English sorry. But maybe it is similar. Posted all since I am not sure what could be useful.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast