Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Hair loss and thyroid problems from low carb page 7

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I lost a good chunk of my hair when I went primal over a year ago. I was not low carb though. I had super thick hair, like 4.75 inches in circumference (I know because I sold it). Now it's probably 3.75. Looking it up at the time, I read that any successful diet can cause hair loss.. Even CW. It's just the body trying to cut corners I think. My thickness seems to be coming back now.

Phil-SC is offline Senior Member
    I had some opposite effects when I when Paleo. Hair loss seemed to diminish, acne breakouts went mostly away, sugar leveled out, but I continued to eat Paleo approved carbs and lose weight.

So...even though I can't say that I was doing low-carb, I was doing "good carb"...so maybe trying adding some of those back in.

Mireia is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyL View Post
    I lost a good chunk of my hair when I went primal over a year ago. I was not low carb though. I had super thick hair, like 4.75 inches in circumference (I know because I sold it). Now it's probably 3.75. Looking it up at the time, I read that any successful diet can cause hair loss.. Even CW. It's just the body trying to cut corners I think. My thickness seems to be coming back now.
    How soon after switching to primal did it happen? I did not notice any hair loss when I started eating paleo (with raw dairy). Not sure if it could have been te diet change for me as well. But it seems it might be too far in the past.

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    It's hard for me to remember, but it seems like it coincided with my weight loss. I remember I was losong it for months too. It's seems people with super thick hair are almost always fat and I've wondered if there is a correlation.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    I have severe anemia, I basically qualify for a blood transfusion. Subsequently, my hair started falling out in large clumps a few months ago. My (Paleo) doc has said that it is thyroid- and adrenal-related, even though my latest thyroid test came back "normal." And despite my doctor erring on the side of lower-carb eating, she quickly changed her advice to increase my carb intake when my symptoms worsened a few months ago because she does believe that low-carb can aggravate underlying thyroid and hormonal issues.

If a ketogenic diet is therapeutic for certain conditions, then one must understand that a high carb intake can be equally therapeutic for many others. While neither dietary protocol cures the underlying issue, they both alleviate symptoms and prevent sub-sequential problems created or induced by a particular dietary pattern.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post

If a ketogenic diet is therapeutic for certain conditions, then one must understand that a high carb intake can be equally therapeutic for many others. While neither dietary protocol cures the underlying issue, they both alleviate symptoms and prevent sub-sequential problems created or induced by a particular dietary pattern.
    It's difficult to disagree. I find it amusing that a list of possible illnesses is usually very short when people promote this or that diet (usually heart and cancer) when in reality it is as long as a distance from New York to San Francisco.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by anna5 View Post
    It's difficult to disagree. I find it amusing that a list of possible illnesses is usually very short when people promote this or that diet (usually heart and cancer) when in reality it is as long as a distance from New York to San Francisco.
    Well I mean those (along with iatrogenic cause) are the top three killers. And most disease processed in one manner or another lead to disruption of those systems. Illnesses are but names. Their root causes can be vastly different in two different people.

Mireia is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyL View Post
    It's hard for me to remember, but it seems like it coincided with my weight loss. I remember I was losong it for months too. It's seems people with super thick hair are almost always fat and I've wondered if there is a correlation.
    Well that is probably a coincidence or has to do with something they eat the thickness is genetically determined. That means yours should go back to super thick even if you were super skinny!

Mireia is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    I have severe anemia, I basically qualify for a blood transfusion. Subsequently, my hair started falling out in large clumps a few months ago. My (Paleo) doc has said that it is thyroid- and adrenal-related, even though my latest thyroid test came back "normal." And despite my doctor erring on the side of lower-carb eating, she quickly changed her advice to increase my carb intake when my symptoms worsened a few months ago because she does believe that low-carb can aggravate underlying thyroid and hormonal issues.

Amen lol . That makes sense and is very reassuring.
    I also read thyroid levels can be normal even if there is a starting problem.

How great you have a Paleo doctor btw.! Noone even know of the Paleo or Primal diet in my country!
    Vegan and Vegetarian is most popular here and promoted as ultimate health diet.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mireia View Post
    Amen lol . That makes sense and is very reassuring.
    I also read thyroid levels can be normal even if there is a starting problem.

How great you have a Paleo doctor btw.! Noone even know of the Paleo or Primal diet in my country!
    Vegan and Vegetarian is most popular here and promoted as ultimate health diet.
    My doctor basically told me that even if my thyroid test results are in the normal range, with all of my other symptoms and preexisting hormone problems, eventually it too will be next and it's important to NOT encourage the environment for it with stressful very low-carb dieting. It's ok temporarily, but not wise long-term in my health.

I found my Paleo doc on Paleo Physicians Network for those in the US.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast