Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Hair loss and thyroid problems from low carb page 6

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    In regards to the question about what tests to get - when I got onto a good GP, she tested:

TSH
    free t4
    free t3
    rt3
    Thyroid antibodies
    DHEA
    Sex hormones (testosterone, estrogen, progresterone)
    SHBG (sex hormone binding globulin)
    Vitam D
    Iron - ferritin, saturation, iron
    Cortisol
    Blood Glucose (fasting)/Insulin
    Lipids and HDL etc
    Full blood count

I was resistant to T4 - even though my TSH was low, and t4 levels were 'good', so technically I was 'not hypothyroid', my t3 was below range, and my rt3 was very high. Once you took into the fact I had very little active thyroid hormone (t3), and was turning all my t4 into something that blocked the action of t3 (rt3), i was quite hypothyroid. I gained and gained in spite of eating very little.

It has taken me almost two years to get onto the right meds, so don't give up!

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lucy1984 View Post
    In regards to the question about what tests to get - when I got onto a good GP, she tested:

TSH
    free t4
    free t3
    rt3
    Thyroid antibodies
    DHEA
    Vitam D
    Cortisol
    Lipids and HDL etc
    Full blood count

I was resistant to T4 - even though my TSH was low, and t4 levels were 'good', so technically I was 'not hypothyroid', my t3 was below range, and my rt3 was very high. Once you took into the fact I had very little active thyroid hormone (t3), and was turning all my t4 into something that blocked the action of t3 (rt3), i was quite hypothyroid. I gained and gained in spite of eating very little.

I truly wish all docs would be this thorough. So are you on cytomel only now?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    Who is trying to use fear to force anyone not to eat low carb?

And why does increasing carbs in your eyes mean eating cookies and bread? That's like saying eating low carb must mean you are gorging yourself on SPAM and zucchini sticks deep-fried in soybean oil.

Anytime someone expresses that they are not thriving, losing hair, or in some way dealing with a health issue and is wondering if it could be related to their diet, you instantly chastise anyone who suggests increasing carbs.

I really wish you could just accept that low carb is not a healthy thing for everyone. It works for you and some other folks. Awesome. It didn't for me, and it doesn't for many other people. If I was eating like you do, I'd still be paralyzed on the couch with debilitating fatigue, with a body temp under 97.1, my hair coming out in handfuls, dealing with depression. That's what high fat/low carb does for me.

You didn't invent low carb, no need to take it personally when people need something different.
    Wow. Who put a bur in your saddle?

The OP and I cleared up the misunderstanding about the cookies a couple of pages back. Seems like the only feathers still ruffled are yours. No idea why.

The fear mongering I was referring to was not this thread in particular but , as I said, an internet meme, popular on sites such as those of the various Peat disciples.

I'm not "chastising" anyone (although I did tell Zach to bite me which he richly deserved for the Inuit/shark comment ). I have said on this forum REPEATEDLY that I have no problem with whatever macronutrient ratio a person chooses for him/herself. I do have a problem with scientifically unfounded statements such as "low carb will wreck your thyroid" being circulated AGAIN.

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    I truly wish all docs would be this thorough. So are you on cytomel only now?
    Yes, well, tertroxin, which is the Australian equivalent. And cortisol, as later tests showed I also had adrenal fatigue. I had to travel 3 hours to Sydney to get a doctor who would actually listen to me. The only doc in my town who does look deeper into thyroid matters needed a referral, and my GP refused to provide me one. I was lucky to get in too, as she only opened her books again about 2 weeks after I enquired, and from what I hear they were closed again within the month...

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    My sisters hair is falling out now from pneumonia in sept of last year. Definitely can be delayed. She lost more than half. She had exceptionally thick hair to start with though.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    In my 30s I ate less than 100 grams of carbs a day. As a result, I had hair loss (one ID showed a half inch of missing hair at the part), acne, fatigue and generalized stress. From age 33-40 I took the bcp to shut my ovaries down so I could sleep and basically function. Estrogen has a suppressive effect on the thyroid-- be aware that if you continue to eat low carb, you will probably have early perimenopause symptoms.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Interesting thread. I am going through this right now. My hair is still falling out in handfuls. My naturopath is currently changing my meds to a compounded 3-1 t4/t3 ratio. I have been on synthroid for years, but never thought it did anything for me. Then on Erfa in increasing dosages, which helped temporarily. Starting tomorrow, the compounded. I have also been reading about Wilson's thyroid protocol which is interesting. My temp is always low. Usually around 35.3c. My free t3 is also clinically low.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Mireia is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    In my 30s I ate less than 100 grams of carbs a day. As a result, I had hair loss (one ID showed a half inch of missing hair at the part), acne, fatigue and generalized stress. From age 33-40 I took the bcp to shut my ovaries down so I could sleep and basically function. Estrogen has a suppressive effect on the thyroid-- be aware that if you continue to eat low carb, you will probably have early perimenopause symptoms.
    I was on the pill on 2009 and went off because I feared it would be bad for my health. That is also when I first noticed hormonal problems. I feel like the pill had supressed the symptoms while it wrecked havoc.

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyL View Post
    My sisters hair is falling out now from pneumonia in sept of last year. Definitely can be delayed. She lost more than half. She had exceptionally thick hair to start with though.
    I haven't been sick since summer '11. I started out with thicker hair too, so when I say I lost a lot (1.5cm from my ponytail circumference this time but up to 2.5cm (one inch) in 2010) they don't believe me or say "maybe you have always ha thin hair".
    I had to bring pictures to a doctors office and that was when someone finally understood something was going on.

Mireia is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lucy1984 View Post

TSH
    free t4
    free t3
    rt3
    Thyroid antibodies
    DHEA
    Vitam D
    Cortisol
    Lipids and HDL etc
    Full blood count

I hope my doctor will test all that! I think I will take a list lol. Thank you Lucy!

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am interested in this thread too, because I have some conversion problem and I didn't feel right for a couple of months.
    My doctors don't see it as a big problem and don't address it. I've made some changes - reduced consumption of kale, increased intake of carbs (I possibly went too low), increased intake of red meat (I possibly was low in iron after a blood donation), etc.
    BTW, Kharrazian mentions numerous causes for poor conversion.
    I didn't have such a thorough testing (which would help), but I am OK now. I'll ask for a couple of tests (ferritin, for example) at the next opportunity (May?). I don't think it's an emergency now.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast