Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair loss and thyroid problems from low carb page 5

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    You were kinda kidding around I guess but seriously, supplementation that is overdone can often be the cause of hair problems such as this.
    Actually no. When I was growing up my mom bought me children's multi-vitamins, and my hair DID fall out!!! I remember going to the doctor. I don't remember what kind of tests were done, but he took me off the one-a-days and my hair started to grow back. I remember who funny I thought it was at the time (I was probably 8 or 9)
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mireia View Post
    I have an appointment with an endocrinologist on Feb. 12th, thwt is the earliest I could get. I am also waiting on labwork to get back (GP).
    I ate low carb (49-59 g a day) from mid September to mid January. I was told around the 50-60g mark it would be considered ketosis and that low to moderate carb intake starts at 70g?
    Someone enlighten me if this is wrong.
    My hair started falling out in November, it worsened in December and January. My pituitary problems lasted from Summer 2009 to August 2011. I got it tested Frequently after and the pitiitary gland was functioning well in June 2012. What is weird about my hair loss is that it fluctuated a lot. At first Ineould have hair loss for a werk and then it would stop for a few days. Some days it was just 20 more hairs that normal, other days it came ozt by the handful. With my past hormone problems, it was not like that. I lost the same amount, more than normal every day. What stopped it then was meds to lower prolactin (pituitary). My thyroid levels also bettered on this drug. Later I was put on synthetic thyroid hormone and started experiencing other hypo symptoms like dry skin, acne, cold hands and feet, fatigue, kinky hair growth and brittle hair. My doctor was unable to adjust it right, that is why this time I want to get a second opinion from only the best physicians. My GP would have simply put me on 25mcg of levothyroxine.
    You were taking thyroxine, which often isn't well converted into the active t3. Also, yes, if you were already hypothyroid, eating low carb will definitely compound the problem.

"Because the actions of T3 can be inhibited by many factors, including polyunsaturated fatty acids, reverse T3, and excess thyroxine, the absolute level of T3 can't be used by itself for diagnosis. “Free T3” or “free T4” is a laboratory concept, and the biological activity of T3 doesn't necessarily correspond to its “freedom” in the test. T3 bound to its transport proteins can be demonstrated to enter cells, mitochondria, and nuclei. Transthyretin, which carries both vitamin A and thyroid hormones, is sharply decreased by stress, and should probably be regularly measured as part of the thyroid examination.

When T3 is metabolically active, lactic acid won't be produced unnecessarily, so the measurement of lactate in the blood is a useful test for interpreting thyroid function. Cholesterol is used rapidly under the influence of T3, and ever since the 1930s it has been clear that serum cholesterol rises in hypothyroidism, and is very useful diagnostically. Sodium, magnesium, calcium, potassium, creatinine, albumin, glucose, and other components of the serum are regulated by the thyroid hormones, and can be used along with the various functional tests for evaluating thyroid function."

Preventing and treating cancer with progesterone.

Read Ray Peat's articles on thyroid. The one I linked before is particularly useful in reference to how standard medical procedures conduct thyroid checks. Hypothyroidism is a common cause of hair loss in women.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    Dear Meira:

Just a few thoughts to add to this interesting topic. I jumped into Paleo around June 30th, 2012. I'm an 'all or nothing' kind of gal so I went 100% at it, and lost 21lbs, 11" in 12 weeks. I added my supplements which include krill oil, MCT oil, multi-day vitamin, Vitamin D & B, Iodine and Magnesium. I continue taking these supplements.

During my paleo journey, I found myself into Ketosis and enjoying being in that state. The weight dropped, I felt great, yadda yadda yadda.

Shortly into my 3rd month of enjoying my weight loss, I noticed lots and lots of hair loss. Hair would fall out in the shower, and then spontaneously onto my pillow and on my clothing. My hair was coming out faster than I could imagine! Simultaneously, I also noticed that my hair had lost its lustre and appeared a little sad and almost oily. I've never had oily hair so this was curious to me. I've always had very nice thick, Italian -type hair so this was very disconcerting to me.

I have been healthy my whole life, with no thyroid or hormonal issues --- no big weight issues, either.

I ended up going to see a hairdresser, who gave me a nice blunt cut which made my hair look less 'whispy' on the ends --- kind of gave me the illusion of having a fuller head of hair. He advised me to come in about every 4-5 weeks for another 'ends trim' to keep things looking good.

In the meantime, I increased my carb intake --- I increased my carbs from 10-20carbs per day to 40-60. I now add a little potato to my dinner but I eat clean about 98% of the time. Anyway, after a few months of increasing my carbs slightly, the hair fall out has been less. Only just in the past week do I feel that the hair appears healthier and happier.

Now, I cannot say with any certainty what caused me hair to go through this almost 'period of mourning'. My gut tells me that my body underwent some serious changes (albeit positive), and my hair was the barometer for the changes. Perhaps my hair would have improved had I stayed in ketosis, but I don't know. My gut tells me that MY body/hair seems to be healthier when I introduce about 40-60 carbs daily into my diet. I have some days know where my carb intake is 10 and other days when it's 70 or 80. I don't worry about mixing things up and I think my body enjoys me mixing things up.

Anyway, I just thought I would share my experience with you --- as we hopefully all learn from each other. I found it interesting that someone posted on this thread that his hair started falling out when he took a multivitamin. Maybe my hair loss was caused by the addition of the supplements into my life. I don't know for sure what caused the hair loss, but I do know that our bodies have clever ways of letting us know when something is 'not right'. Cheers/Lu
    Are you sure you are not making all this up, imagining things or something?
    Because according to some, it's not VLC to blame, somehow it must be us.

I mean, really. Enough of saying it's our fault and we are/were not doing it right. Why is it so hard to accept the fact that ketosis is not for everyone?

And if someone wants to tell me I'm talking nonsense, I'd expect to at least be addressed directly.

Mireia is offline Member
    I could not agree with you more. The thing that happens too often in internet "wisdom" however is that a case like yours with a pre-existing thyroid issue gets used and abused to support anti low carb fear mongering rhetoric. I am very glad you are seeing an endocrinologist to get this issue resolved. Too many people self-diagnosing and self-treating based on web guru sites.
    Glad we cleared this up!
    Self diagnosis: I only go so far that I will research to be more knowledgeable but I will always consult a doctor too. The reason I want to be informed is because I had doctors searching in the wrong direction all the time in the past and it caused me lots of trouble.
    When I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's, I went in and said "I have symptoms of a thyroid problem!".

Mireia is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itchy166 View Post
    Actually no. When I was growing up my mom bought me children's multi-vitamins, and my hair DID fall out!!! I remember going to the doctor. I don't remember what kind of tests were done, but he took me off the one-a-days and my hair started to grow back. I remember who funny I thought it was at the time (I was probably 8 or 9)
    I do take a multivitamin. Maybe I should cut it out and see what happens
    I also take iron, but have been since Nov. 2010 because I always seem to be low ....same with D3 always low, but I think I remember reading when someone has thyroid issues, the body does not absorb enough iron/ produce enough d3?

Mireia is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    Dear Meira:

Just a few thoughts to add to this interesting topic. I jumped into Paleo around June 30th, 2012. I'm an 'all or nothing' kind of gal so I went 100% at it, and lost 21lbs, 11" in 12 weeks. I added my supplements which include krill oil, MCT oil, multi-day vitamin, Vitamin D & B, Iodine and Magnesium. I continue taking these supplements.

During my paleo journey, I found myself into Ketosis and enjoying being in that state. The weight dropped, I felt great, yadda yadda yadda.

Shortly into my 3rd month of enjoying my weight loss, I noticed lots and lots of hair loss. Hair would fall out in the shower, and then spontaneously onto my pillow and on my clothing. My hair was coming out faster than I could imagine! Simultaneously, I also noticed that my hair had lost its lustre and appeared a little sad and almost oily. I've never had oily hair so this was curious to me. I've always had very nice thick, Italian -type hair so this was very disconcerting to me.

I have been healthy my whole life, with no thyroid or hormonal issues --- no big weight issues, either.

I ended up going to see a hairdresser, who gave me a nice blunt cut which made my hair look less 'whispy' on the ends --- kind of gave me the illusion of having a fuller head of hair. He advised me to come in about every 4-5 weeks for another 'ends trim' to keep things looking good.

In the meantime, I increased my carb intake --- I increased my carbs from 10-20carbs per day to 40-60. I now add a little potato to my dinner but I eat clean about 98% of the time. Anyway, after a few months of increasing my carbs slightly, the hair fall out has been less. Only just in the past week do I feel that the hair appears healthier and happier.

Now, I cannot say with any certainty what caused me hair to go through this almost 'period of mourning'. My gut tells me that my body underwent some serious changes (albeit positive), and my hair was the barometer for the changes. Perhaps my hair would have improved had I stayed in ketosis, but I don't know. My gut tells me that MY body/hair seems to be healthier when I introduce about 40-60 carbs daily into my diet. I have some days know where my carb intake is 10 and other days when it's 70 or 80. I don't worry about mixing things up and I think my body enjoys me mixing things up.

Anyway, I just thought I would share my experience with you --- as we hopefully all learn from each other. I found it interesting that someone posted on this thread that his hair started falling out when he took a multivitamin. Maybe my hair loss was caused by the addition of the supplements into my life. I don't know for sure what caused the hair loss, but I do know that our bodies have clever ways of letting us know when something is 'not right'. Cheers/Lu
    Thank you for sharing!
    See, I don't know either if my lower carb intake started something, I just suspect it. But I feel going up a bit in carbs and going back to the diet I ate until summer, when I felt good.. Is like playing it safe
    Maybe I need to be on a moderate to high carb paleo or primal diet for longer and My body will deal with low carb better.

I have trimmed my hair a bit myself. I will have to cut, but for now I am just putting it up and forget about it. I really hate the feeling of strands coming out every time I touch it. I can make a wig of the shed hair!

Mireia is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    You were taking thyroxine, which often isn't well converted into the active t3. Also, yes, if you were already hypothyroid, eating low carb will definitely compound the problem.

"Because the actions of T3 can be inhibited by many factors, including polyunsaturated fatty acids, reverse T3, and excess thyroxine, the absolute level of T3 can't be used by itself for diagnosis. “Free T3” or “free T4” is a laboratory concept, and the biological activity of T3 doesn't necessarily correspond to its “freedom” in the test. T3 bound to its transport proteins can be demonstrated to enter cells, mitochondria, and nuclei. Transthyretin, which carries both vitamin A and thyroid hormones, is sharply decreased by stress, and should probably be regularly measured as part of the thyroid examination.

When T3 is metabolically active, lactic acid won't be produced unnecessarily, so the measurement of lactate in the blood is a useful test for interpreting thyroid function. Cholesterol is used rapidly under the influence of T3, and ever since the 1930s it has been clear that serum cholesterol rises in hypothyroidism, and is very useful diagnostically. Sodium, magnesium, calcium, potassium, creatinine, albumin, glucose, and other components of the serum are regulated by the thyroid hormones, and can be used along with the various functional tests for evaluating thyroid function."

Preventing and treating cancer with progesterone.

Read Ray Peat's articles on thyroid. The one I linked before is particularly useful in reference to how standard medical procedures conduct thyroid checks. Hypothyroidism is a common cause of hair loss in women.
    Thank you! I want to make sure the doctor will check for the right things! I was shocked my GP did not test certain things.
    Would it be best to request X and X to be checked specifically? Or what would be the best way of getting the doctor to look into some things?
    When I asked another GP to check iron? He was a little stubborn and only wanted to do ferritin. :/

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    The thing that happens too often in internet "wisdom" however is that a case like yours with a pre-existing thyroid issue gets used and abused to support anti low carb fear mongering rhetoric.
    Who is trying to use fear to force anyone not to eat low carb?

And why does increasing carbs in your eyes mean eating cookies and bread? That's like saying eating low carb must mean you are gorging yourself on SPAM and zucchini sticks deep-fried in soybean oil.

Anytime someone expresses that they are not thriving, losing hair, or in some way dealing with a health issue and is wondering if it could be related to their diet, you instantly chastise anyone who suggests increasing carbs.

I really wish you could just accept that low carb is not a healthy thing for everyone. It works for you and some other folks. Awesome. It didn't for me, and it doesn't for many other people. If I was eating like you do, I'd still be paralyzed on the couch with debilitating fatigue, with a body temp under 97.1, my hair coming out in handfuls, dealing with depression. That's what high fat/low carb does for me.

You didn't invent low carb, no need to take it personally when people need something different.

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    I do take a multivitamin. Maybe I should cut it out and see what happens
    I also take iron, but have been since Nov. 2010 because I always seem to be low ....same with D3 always low, but I think I remember reading when someone has thyroid issues, the body does not absbrb enough iron/ produce enough d3?
    I'm no doctor by any means; its just a story from my past. There are lots of really good knowledgeable responses here, but sometimes its the easy things. You wouldn't believe how many times people try and fix things that aren't plugged in for example
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Thank you! I want to make sure the doctor will check for the right things! I was shocked my GP did not test certain things.
    Would it be best to request X and X to be checked specifically? Or what would be the best way of getting the doctor to look into some things?
    When I asked another GP to check iron? He was a little stubborn and only wanted to do ferritin. :/
    TSH, t3, and rt3. In hypothyroidism, TSH will be in the low normal to high ranges. In good functioning thyroids, TSH will be low.

"Women often have above-average thyroxin, with symptoms of hypothyroidism. This is apparently because it isn’t being converted to the active form (T3). Before using a Cytomel (T3) supplement, it might be possible to solve the problem with diet alone. A piece of fruit or glass of juice or milk between meals, and adequate animal protein (or potato protein) in the diet is sometimes enough to allow the liver to produce the hormone. If Cytomel is used, it is efficient to approximate the physiological rate of T3 formation, by nibbling one (10 to 25 mcg) tablet during the day. When a large amount is taken at one time, the liver is likely to convert much of it to the inactive reverse T3 form, in a normal defensive response.

Women normally have less active livers than men do. Estrogen can have a directly toxic effect on the liver, but the normal reason for the difference is probably that temperature and thyroid function strongly influence the liver, and are generally lower in women than in men. Estrogen inhibits the secretion of hormone by the thyroid gland itself, probably by inhibiting the proteolytic enzymes which dissolves the colloid. Progesterone has the opposite effect, promoting the release of the hormones from the gland. At puberty, in pregnancy, and at menopause, the thyroid gland often enlarges, probably as a result of estrogen dominance.

Thyroid function stimulates the liver to inactivate estrogen for secretion, so estrogen dominance can create a viscous circle, in which estrogen (or deficient progesterone) blocks thyroid secretion, causing the liver to allow estrogen to accumulate to even higher levels. Progesterone (even one dose, in some cases) can break the cycle. However, if the gland is very big, one person can experience a few months of hyperthyroidism, as the gland returns to normal. It is better to allow the enlarged gland to shrink more slowly by using a thyroid supplement. If an enlarged gland does begin to secrete too much thyroid hormone, it can be controlled with tablets of propylthiouracil, or even raw cabbage or cabbage juice, and cysteine rich meats, including liver.

Besides fasting, or chronic protein deficiency, the common causes of hypothyroidism are excessive stress or “aerobic” (i.e., anaerobic) exercise, and diets containing beans, lentils, nuts, unsaturated fats (including carotene), and undercooked broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and mustard greens. Many health conscious people become hypothyroid with a synergistic program of undercooked vegetables, legumes instead of animal proteins, oils instead of butter, carotene instead of vitamin A, and breathless exercise instead of stimulating life."
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast