Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair loss and thyroid problems from low carb page 3

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    As much as i like VLC and as great as it feels ( and i can probably live the rest of my life in ketosis and be thin and happy) if it wasn't for my hair falling off like crazy, I wouldn't have increased my carbs recently. I went from below 50g to over 100. There is a lot of conflicting info out there, but i think fructose is very important for normal thyroid function.
    My hair loss has halted almost completely how.
    The largest portion of t3 conversion is produced in the liver.

Ketosis is absolutely an abysmal dietary choice to make, especially for the health of your hair. I experienced similar thinning of the hair through only a month of ketosis. Within my "fully fat adapted" stages, my hair fell out in clumps without even touching it. I would wake up with large chunks of it on my pillow.

Now, my hair is super healthy(messed up from sleeping):

(after copper peptides and hemp color)

Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Mireia is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    How was the tumor dealt with? Were you experiencing hypothyroid symptoms before the tumor was found or after it was taken care of?
    Marcadav
    At first I was on medication for it (cabergoline) and when I was last checked (Feb.12) it was gone and my prolactin was normal without medication. So I guess the pituitary might still be affected even when the prolactin is normal?

Mireia is offline Member
    Everyone I habe trouble with quotes on my iPod but I will check the thread again later.
    I understand the pituitary might need help too.

One question for everyone whose hair loss normalized - about how long did it take?

I am thinking about waiting just a little bit before starting meds to see how much my body will regulate. That way I think the doctor could dose my medication better?
    I am pretty sure I will need medication, just want the right dose.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Hm.

Was searching recipes for desserts and the like, and found this.

Paleo Diet Experiment: A Former Vegan Gives It A Try for 30 Days

Not sure if at all related to the thread. But I think - as you read through the days - it's quite insightful on macronutrients and Paleo. Interesting to see the lady suffered similar(ish) effects on a complete opposite diet - a very, very high carb one. I dunno. Food for thought, methinks.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mireia View Post
    I have been dealing with what I thought were hormonal problems - acne, hairloss, fatigue, PMS and weird periods. When it did not stop I got my thyroid checked and I came back Hypo with an elevated TSH (other levels weren't measured yet). I had been off meds since starting Paleo with a low TSH, so I find that surprising. My liver levels were also too high. I tried different things, adding supplements, being much more strict (I cut out honey), but nothing helped. Upon researching I read about low carb paleo and high carb paleo when it comes to hair loss and a LOT of sites said going low carb too fast can actually cause thyroid like symptoms, including hair loss.

I was only eating 59g of carbs a day instead of my higher carb intake in summer, which was 70-110. I was not planning to get into ketosis, I am actually trying to gain weight, I just got tired of carbs like carrots and sweet potato.

Is it likely that this is my problem? And if so, how can I reverse the effects? I read that one needs to eat an insane amount of carbs to get out of it? I am back on my usual 70-110 carbs and a bit more sugar from honey and fruit, I feel less fatigued but my hair is still coming out in clumps. I am so embarrassed to leave the house! I am 30 and female by the way.
    Did you lose a lot of weight from not eating enough? Maybe you are not getting enough nutrients and calories? How many calories do you eat?

emmie is offline Senior Member
    You mention thyroid problems 'way in the past.' Did you get Rx for that?

True thyroid problems (hyper or hypo) don't go away. The Rx is for life. If you had thyroid problems in the past, they remain with you, and your low carb eating is not responsible for your symptoms.

Yes, the Internet will tell you that low-carb eating will 'cause' thyroid issues--but no respectable endo would make such absurd claims.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    You mention thyroid problems 'way in the past.' Did you get Rx for that?

True thyroid problems (hyper or hypo) don't go away. The Rx is for life. If you had thyroid problems in the past, they remain with you, and your low carb eating is not responsible for your symptoms.

Yes, the Internet will tell you that low-carb eating will 'cause' thyroid issues--but no respectable endo would make such absurd claims.
    Finally, someone making sense on this thread. This is the internet meme that just will not die. Also, as pointed out by Sue above, any dieting that is low in calories and/or nutrients can have the same effect.

People are quick to do a correlation=causation blame assignment onto low carb because they want to go back to their cookies and bread. So, what happens is they drop the whole thing and eat more so the symptoms go away and the meme continues.

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    Our pediatrician (who apparently sees this a lot with new mothers) says that hair falls out 4-6 months after a stressful event. It stops growing due to stress, and then a lot reaches the natural shedding stage at the same time. I do not know if the same is true to dietary changes, but it is possible your hair is reflecting what you were doing or eating 4-6 months ago. Mine was falling out a lot around the time I started taking iodine--the hair loss didn't improve for probably 6 months.

Wow, that is so wrong it's ridiculous.

Blanket statements and buzzwords ahoy! No way does this sound like someone shamelessly trying to bolster their own agenda.

Anyway, OP, after reading through this thread again I concur with lucy. It doesn't sound like you ate few enough carbs long enough to have any deleterious health issues. How long has your hair been falling out? You've had hormonal issues in the past it sounds like. Please get a full range of lab work, because what it sounds like, due to past prolactin issues, it could be caused by an autoimmune disease, which also explains your low thyroid.

"There is almost an obligatory medical genuflection toward “genetic causation” of disease, and especially of thyroid disease, autoimmune disease, and other chronic or degenerative diseases. The fact that thyroid disease and autoimmune diseases are from five to ten times more frequent in women than men is somehow hasn’t increased medical interest in the pathogenic role of estrogen"

Thyroid: Therapies, Confusion, and Fraud

Look to get on cytomel, as it can only benefit you in this case.

Eating properly can only be beneficial though, so, yes, eat more healthy carbs like fruit, but I would definitely not listen to any armchair nutritionists on the internet before getting proper assessment.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast