Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair loss and thyroid problems from low carb page 2

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I dunno....this is like putting together a puzzle without all the pieces whenever you don't even have all the necessary proper labs. You can blame da low carb if you like, but for now its just a scapegoat. Your really just gonna have to wait to get the rest of the results in.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mireia View Post
    My hair used to be quite long (thigh) and because of repeated hair loss I har to keep shortening it. Back then a pituitary tumor and prolactin where causing it but my prolactin is fine this time.
    It just gets frustrating to go through this over and over again.
    If you've had a pituitary tumor then your thyroid issues MAY be pituitary based secondary hypothyroidism. In order to see if this is your issue you definitely need Free T4 and Free T3 along with TSH tested. A MRI of the pituitary,along with testing of all pituitary hormones, might be a good idea.
    Other things that could contribute to your symptoms include:
    1.Low iron, including ferritin
    2.Low Vitamin D
    3.Low selenium

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I developed some pretty serious problems from being low carb for too long.

When I upped my carbs to 150+g/day consistently, it my hair eventually stopped falling out by the handful in the shower, and a bunch of my other issues resolved. I follow the Perfect Health Diet with some Ray Peat stuff thrown in and I now generally consume somewhere between 200-250g/day of carbs, which works for me. You might not need such high levels.

Here are some links to sites I found helpful when I was trying to reconfigure my diet:

Thyroid Disorders

Hypothyroidism | Perfect Health Diet

Also, once you get on track, you might want to try castor oil scalp treatments for regrowing the hair you lost. I've been reading about it on the long hair forum, and just started it myself. It's supposed to both speed hair growth and stimulate lost hair to regrow. Many people have said that after using it, they stopped shedding, and some people have said that it reversed receding hairlines and bald spots.

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    In my opinion, slight thyroid hormone problems can be fixed with diet, but once you go beyond that, especially if you have hashimoto's, then diet alone ain't going to cut it.

Firstly I would go back to the doc and get a comprehensive range of blood tests, not just TSH, but free t4, free t3 and reverse t3.

I struggled through every type of dietary change - high carb, moderate carb, low carb, fasting, high fat, high calories, low calories, cutting out nightshades, cutting out dairy...the list goes on. Add to that lots of exercise, no exercise, weights only, etc. NOTHING WORKED.

The ONLY thing that worked was getting on the right meds for my thryoid. It has taken over two years, and only in the last few weeks have I started seeing results (weight loss, energy etc).

Primal is a great way of eating, and if you'd been brought up on it no doubt it would prevent all sorts of diseases, including thyroid problems, but if your system was already broke before going primal (as mine was), you may need to accept that some additional help, in the forms of meds, may be required.

Also - I am not losing great chunks of hair anymore, and my nails are no longer brittle. I do not need morning and afternoon naps anymore, and I can concentrate for longer periods of time again. And a lot of my light-headeness and dizziness (even when sitting) has gone.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mireia View Post
    Thank you for the heads up!

Some family members are not understanding at all. I tried telling my sister and my mother/ father and I feel they only hear half of what I say. They often don't respond or change the subject. They don't think that hair is an issue and that I can just cut it off and regrow or keep it short...who needs long hair anyway and PMS is supposedly normal now.

My hair used to be quite long (thigh) and because of repeated hair loss I har to keep shortening it. Back then a pituitary tumor and prolactin where causing it but my prolactin is fine this time.
    It just gets frustrating to go through this over and over again.
    Oh, no worries!

I can understand the frustration. And family are often the worst people to talk to about these things. Try chatting to some supportive friends... ones who've had health complaints will be more inclined to be empathic.

Good luck on your recovery!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Mireia is offline Member
    Neckhammer
    I am only suspecting low carb among other things, but the time frame fits. I also read going low carb abruptly is not for people with thyroid and hormone related issues.

Marcadav
    I supplement the 3 vitamins listed. I also have an appointment at an Endo but the wait time is long. So I want to make sure I start making changes in my diet.
    I was planning to take natural thyroid hormone like armour because i never did well on synthetic T4 only thyroid hormone.
    Thyroid Mistreatment, Hypothyroidism Scandals, and Thyroid Treatment Problems | Stop The Thyroid Madness has info about natural thyroid.
    Supposedly, since my prolactin is fine my pituitary gland should be fine also? Or was the doctor wrong about this? The tumor is gone btw.

Lucy1984
    Oh no, I DO consider meds, like I said I just want to make sure my diet is good also and that I don't keep wrecking my thyroid.

Mireia is offline Member
    Thank you for the tips! I will look into castor oil and the links!
    I know LHC too!

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    If you have hypothyroidism, your adrenals and pituitary are worked into overdrive. Basically, with an under functioning thyroid, your pituitary becomes the main work force.

Quantitative Relationship between Thyroid Function and Growth of Pituitary Tumors Secreting TSH
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    How was the tumor dealt with? Were you experiencing hypothyroid symptoms before the tumor was found or after it was taken care of?

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    As much as i like VLC and as great as it feels ( and i can probably live the rest of my life in ketosis and be thin and happy) if it wasn't for my hair falling off like crazy, I wouldn't have increased my carbs recently. I went from below 50g to over 100. There is a lot of conflicting info out there, but i think fructose is very important for normal thyroid function.
    My hair loss has halted almost completely how.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast