Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I worry about the wheat in soy sauce? page

diene is offline Senior Member

Should I worry about the wheat in soy sauce?

Primal Fuel
    I don't drink the stuff or anything, but I do use it occasionally. I have cut out wheat from my diet entirely, with the exception of soy sauce. Until fairly recently, I did not realize that soy sauce contained wheat. I'm switching to gluten-free soy sauce at home, but how much do I have to worry about regular soy sauce when eating out? (I already refuse to eat sauces thickened with corn starch or flour and refusing to eat soy-based sauces as well will make it very difficult to eat anything at Chinese retaurants--not that I eat at Chinese restaurants that frequently; I prefer Thai but still.)

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    It's not optimal, no, but it won't kill you. If you have gluten issues you might want to avoid just to be on the safe side though.

There ARE wheat-free versions of soy sauce out there if you seek them out however. And then, soy sauce is still soy. It's great as an occasional flavoring element to a meal, just don't make it a staple of your diet.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Fermented soy isn't supposed to be bad for you the way regular soy is. But it would have to be organic/non-GMO. I'd bet that anything that has that Roundup-resistant gene is bad for you.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Fermented soy is still soy. Mark likes to point out that he occasionally eats natto for the K2 content and occasionally soy sauce as a flavoring agent, but those are the ONLY two forms I've EVER seen him recommend, and he takes both of those in extremely small doses because they still have a bunch of issues regardless.

Fermenting makes it safer, yes, but it doesn't magically eliminate ALL of the problems of soy.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Coconut aminos are a great replacement.

meloroaster is offline Senior Member
    there are a lot of options (coconut aminos, braggs if you're ok with soy, tamari) almost none of whcih will ever be served to you in a resto!
    so depends on you really. how sensitive are you to wheat/gluten? if very (celiac) i would avoid but if it's just something you're trying to avoid, i would be ok with it. remember, the dose makes the poison...so if you're eating it every day, maybe not a good thing. the occasional chinese food? no biggie.

i had leftover pre-paleo soy sauce at home (and braggs) and i use both.

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    I think coconut aminos taste even better than soy sauce. If I'm going out for sushi, I bring coconut aminos with me.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    I worry about it. You can buy wheat-free tamari if you want real soy sauce, liquid aminos (which are also from soy but contain no wheat), or coconut aminos depending on how much you want to avoid the soy and how spendy you wanna get. I won't touch the wheat-laden junk.

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    I can't say I've ever heard of coconut aminos. I've seen seaweed aminos as a substitute, though.

If there's anything to fret about Soy sauce, the MEGAHOLYCRAP dose of sodium should probably be your #1.

M.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    If there's anything to fret about Soy sauce, the MEGAHOLYCRAP dose of sodium should probably be your #1.
    Couldn't agree less! The sodium's not a big deal for 99% of people. The wheat and the soy are far bigger no-no's for most of us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast