Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Meatloaf full of chopped vegetables page

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member

Meatloaf full of chopped vegetables

I want to try to make a meatloaf that has a lot of chopped vegetables in it. I plan on using a lb of ground beef (80/20), 1/2 a "chub" of Jimmy Dean sausage ('cause it's what I have on hand) some chopped onion, bell peppers, celery and chopped bacon. I want to add a few more vegetables but nothing that would make the loaf too wet. My mom's meatloaf was my favorite because it had a somewhat, bready texture. Probably because she used her saved up bread heels to use in the meatloaf. Is there something else I could use to get the same texture? I realize the egg does the binding not the breading.
    Last edited by Rosemary 231; 01-25-2013 at 12:47 PM.

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Grated Parmesan cheese might do the trick.. its what I mix with the ground meat to make meatza base.
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

About how much Parmesan to 1 1/2 lbs of meat. I bet it would add to the flavor. Thanks.

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    I tend to just eye it but probably between 1/2-3/4 cup
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks. Measurements help, I don't guesstimate real well.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    I put a small onion, a carrot and 1/2 a bell pepper, maybe some broccoli, in the food processor and pulse to bread crumb consistency. Then I gently sautee in butter to soften which releases some of the liquid. I grate/pulse a small sweet potato and add it to the cooked veggies and cool it to room temp, then add it into 3 or 4 lb of meat and a couple of eggs and seasonings. Makes 2 meatloaves.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    I put a small onion, a carrot and 1/2 a bell pepper, maybe some broccoli, in the food processor and pulse to bread crumb consistency. Then I gently sautee in butter to soften which releases some of the liquid. I grate/pulse a small sweet potato and add it to the cooked veggies and cool it to room temp, then add it into 3 or 4 lb of meat and a couple of eggs and seasonings. Makes 2 meatloaves.
    Thanks, I cook just for me (no one else in the family is primal) and your suggestions sound like what I'm looking for. I think I'm probably lazy. I'm sort of want to make a one dish meal out of a meatloaf so I can just slice it and nuke it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    Thanks, I cook just for me (no one else in the family is primal) and your suggestions sound like what I'm looking for. I think I'm probably lazy. I'm sort of want to make a one dish meal out of a meatloaf so I can just slice it and nuke it.
    Since I'm putting some pork sausage in the meatloaf about what internal temp should I be looking for? And . . . should the oven temp be about 350?

buremarey is offline Banned
    its what I mix with the ground meat to make meatza base.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am a meatloaf purist - no veggies in there. Here are my ratios:
    2 parts of ground beef
    1 part pork sausage of your choice, I use plain salt/pepper
    1 egg for every pound of meat you have

Season thoroughly with stuff of your choice. House favorite here is Spike classic, the stuff in the red box.
    Smash until thoroughly combined - it will be a little loose.

Add around 1 really heaping Tbsp of coconut flour for each pound of meat mash and thoroughly recombine.

Form into loaf/loaves. Wrap thoroughly with bacon, tucking the ends of the strips under the loaf. Then paint the bacon liberally with your fave clean ketchup or cocktail sauce. Bake at 350 on a roasting pan, not in a loaf pan, until you see fat runoff, then go a little more. Let rest after removing from the oven. Slice and eat.

We only slice the slices off the loaf as we need them, otherwise too much moisture is lost. If you have leftovers you can fry the slices in tallow or bacon grease to rewarm - they are even better next day that way.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast