Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which foods do I addto my diet to pass my (pregnant) 1-hour glucose test? page 3

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    Sure, refuse all medical help and put your baby and yourself at risk. That's a choice you can make.
    Basically, what rob said. This is simply the cultural condition of fear-mongering that exists around birth. The only choice a woman has in pregnancy is to follow medical advice or she is a Very Bad Person who hates her baby and puts herself at risk.

The reality is that medical tests also create risks for infants and mothers. People like to think that they don't, but they do. This one included.

And, my point is not that a person should refuse medical care, but that a person can choose what medical care (tests, etc) they want, and which they do not.

Pregnant women -- like all individuals with sovereignty over their health and bodies -- can choose. And choosing differently than the medical establishment, the culture, or you does not make them "bad people."

Your choice.
    To me, there is an importance in bringing up the idea that a person has choice in their medical processes -- including pregnancy and birth.

Most people here challenge the conventional wisdom of the medical establishment. We talk about it in terms of heart care, gastro-intestinal care, care of auto immune and thyroid disorders. You name it, just about every kind of medical care here has come under question. "That's cultural" and "that's not evidence based" are common phrases. As well as "here are alternative ideas" and "don't bother taking that medication when. . ."

Why is it that Obstetrics is now the only protected class of medicine? Question all medicine EXCEPT obstetrics -- or you are a Very Bad Lady.

If you question obstetrics, if your enquiry leads you to evidence that asserts that a certain test may not be functional or necessary, or may create risks rather than reduce them (ie, ultrasounds), do them anyway. Whatever you do, do not go against Obstetric medical advice. It's the only infallible medicine!

The reality is that obstetrics has just as much -- if not more -- quackery than just about every other medical field. Yes, some things DO have evidence -- but a lot of things commonly practiced in the US today do not and are not practiced in other developed nations.

Why? Because evidence doesn't support the practice.

So, this OP has options: it is her choice.

Personally, I was happy to follow medical advice, take a GTT, and learn that I did NOT have diabetes (despite many symptoms and a family history).
    I'm glad that you were happy with your pregnancy and birth medical care and choices. I opted to have an unassisted pregnancy and childbirth because I felt that it was the best, safest process for my son and myself, I am also happy with the outcome -- as I have a happy, healthy son.

And, it's not as if I'm against medical care. I'm for it -- when it is appropriately applied, evidence based, and well administered by a caring professional.

After my son was born, he had trouble with his latch. I went to a lactation consultant (who was also a nurse) on the advice of our family doctor. Within 3 days she sorted the latch and we were off and running. I love my doctor and I'm forever thankful for the kindness and expertise of that nurse.

Obviously, I'm not so radical as to say "it should be the way that I did it." And in fact, I was clear on that. Instead, I provided the op with an option -- one that worked better for my sister, who also had GD, rather than the test. her test came back negative for GD. 3 weeks later, she was having symptoms and she went to her doctor. he did the glucose reading in the office, sent her home with the device, and changed her diet (to primal, no less). She's now pregnant with her second, and with the same doctor. She's on the same diet, and tests her glucose daily. It's how he likes to manage things -- evidence based.

I'm happy that my sister ahs the medical care that she both wants and needs. I'm happy for any woman to have it. If I were to get pregnant again, I'd probably go with a midwife -- for a variety of reasons.

It's my choice. You have your choice. The OP has her choice, too.
    Last edited by zoebird; 01-27-2013 at 03:07 AM.

banananutmuffin is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the thoughts and advice everyone! Lots of food for thought here.

I don't eat VLC, but paleo for me is a naturally lower carb diet. I don't want my doc pushing insulin shots and such on me just because I fail the test due to my diet, rather than any real on-going problem with my blood sugar.
    Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
    Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Your best bet, then, is to ask for alternative tests. Just do a google search for alternatives, learn about the different options (their pros and cons), and then approach your doctor about doing an alternative.

Good luck!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123