Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which foods do I addto my diet to pass my (pregnant) 1-hour glucose test? page 2

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Well in the UK if you fail, or are boarderline, then they give you diet advice inthe first instance, which if you are primal is as much use as a chocolate tea-pot (usal diabetic stuff like cut out sugars, only eat one serving of fruit at a time, eat lots of whole grains)
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    I agree with Rob's SO.

I would say simply do not take the test. You can refuse any and all medical tests during pregnancy, if you wish. Your doctor can also 'fire' you, but ultimately, you are the person making medical decisions, and if you feel the test is unnecessary, then don't take it.

Many midwives (though not necessarily doctors) will allow you to do glucose readings throughout the day over several days (which you record), as well as doing a reading while you are in for your appointment, to follow how your glucose levels are doing and to help diagnose GD (which I do believe exists, but I do not believe that this test is a good indicator at all -- in fact, I think it's a ridiculous test).

I refused the test. IN fact, I refused all medical care during my pregnancy and birth (my choice, btw, and I'm not wholly advocating it. I'm just saying that it can be done). You are free to choose to not take this test and ask your doctor or midwife for alternatives.

Good luck! And congratulations on your pregnancy!

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Sure, refuse all medical help and put your baby and yourself at risk. That's a choice you can make.

Rob is completely wrong about having to carb up to get a reliable GTT. Either you follow medical advice or silly opinions you get on the Internet.

Your choice.

Personally, I was happy to follow medical advice, take a GTT, and learn that I did NOT have diabetes (despite many symptoms and a family history).

My sister developed gestational diabetes during her pregnancy, followed medical advice, and had a healthy child. THEN she ignored medical advice to continue the diet, and developed Type 2 diabetes.

We all make choices.

buremarey is offline Banned
    I found that eating more fat kept my sugar steady as opposed to adding more carbs

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    the problem with failing the first, I found out, is having to take the 3 hour test fasted and get blood drawn 4 times in 3 hours. I passed out after having to deal with this second test and swore I would never subject myself to it again---hence I fasted before my 1 hour the next time around. I agree that I should have just rejected doing the test altogether.
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I agree with Rob's SO.

I would say simply do not take the test. You can refuse any and all medical tests during pregnancy, if you wish. Your doctor can also 'fire' you, but ultimately, you are the person making medical decisions, and if you feel the test is unnecessary, then don't take it.

Many midwives (though not necessarily doctors) will allow you to do glucose readings throughout the day over several days (which you record), as well as doing a reading while you are in for your appointment, to follow how your glucose levels are doing and to help diagnose GD (which I do believe exists, but I do not believe that this test is a good indicator at all -- in fact, I think it's a ridiculous test).

I refused the test. IN fact, I refused all medical care during my pregnancy and birth (my choice, btw, and I'm not wholly advocating it. I'm just saying that it can be done). You are free to choose to not take this test and ask your doctor or midwife for alternatives.

Good luck! And congratulations on your pregnancy!
    Yup +1.....particularly agreed with the bolded portion. If you normally do not shoot straight glucose then it's silly to think that test would indicate anything of importance in how you handle glucose as part of your Primal day to day ingestion of foods.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-26-2013 at 07:29 AM.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    Rob is completely wrong about having to carb up to get a reliable GTT. Either you follow medical advice or silly opinions you get on the Internet......
    Long as the silly opinions are more logically argued with better source and cite references to the esteemed medical journals I'm going with the silly opinions.

Not to mention Robb is actually quite correct if we are talking about someone who is particularly very low carb as this causes a transient phyiological insulin resistance in the periphery (muscles) to save glucose for the brain. This is completely different than pathological insulin resistance of diabetes and goes away with the reintroduction of carbohydrate, but that test wouldn't tell you that. I'm not talking pregnancy in particular here. Just general energy partitioning.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-26-2013 at 07:37 AM.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    I will attempt answer all your points, I'm using bold purely to differentate

Sure, refuse all medical help and put your baby and yourself at risk. That's a choice you can make.

Honestly, this sort of statement helps no-one, it just comes across as hostile, closed minded and rather arrogent, it's also known as 'playing the dead baby card' and is used by medical 'professionals' too bully women into taking the course of action that suits them best

Rob is completely wrong about having to carb up to get a reliable GTT. Either you follow medical advice or silly opinions you get on the Internet.

Where did I or my SO say you should carb up to get a reliable GTT, infact my SO said the complete opposite, that eating in a way different to your normal way of eating will only give a result based on the way you were eating to 'pass' the test.

If you bothered to read the post properly or looked at the links you would know they are not just opinions of silly people on the internet but based on research papers by world renowed experts in their field with the links included so you can follow up and read the research yourself, which my SO has done, and decied not to take the test as we felt it was pointless when following a grain and sugar free, low GI low carb compared to CW diet, instead she got a glucose meter and monitered her own levels, which were fine.

Your choice

Personally, I was happy to follow medical advice, take a GTT, and learn that I did NOT have diabetes (despite many symptoms and a family history).

My sister developed gestational diabetes during her pregnancy, followed medical advice, and had a healthy child. THEN she ignored medical advice to continue the diet, and developed Type 2 diabetes.

I'm glad you felt safe following medical advice and the choices you made where honered, if that's what you needed to get the birth experiane that you wanted than that brilliant, but just because it was right for you doesn't mean it's the right road for everyone, please be as repsectful of others choices they are just as valid for them as yours were for you.

We all make choices.

Yes we do, so please stop implying others choices are wrong
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    I was borderline on my 1 hr test so the doc had me go for the 3 hr. That sugar bomb from the 3 hr test almost had me puking. I was not low carb or primal then. I passed the 3 hr and decided to just watch my carb intake and follow a "diabetic diet " as I figured I would have to before long. I cut out all HFCS and hydrogenated fats also and was fine.

If you do take the test, walking during that hour wait will help to burn sugar. The more vigorously you move the better.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    You can also ask for a modified test, it's based on a fasting reading and then a post-prandial (basically, they tell you to come in after eating a carby breakfast).

I've had a gastric bypass and normally cannot tolerate more than 10-15g of sugar at one time, especially not on an empty stomach. My OB said I could do the modified test because of that, but when the time came I decided to just get it over with and try the regular GTT and hope I passed. I passed the test just fine, and to my surprise I didn't even have reactive hypoglycemia afterward. In general, my sugar/carb tolerance was much higher during pregnancy though, it was really strange.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast