Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal wife equals primal life. Itchy's Primal Journal page 2

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by itchy166 View Post
    I would be glad to answer your questions, and give insight and opinions on the subject. I won't back down from the hard questions either
    Thank you much!

First one is "cultural". The prevailing opinion in this county is that since the oilfield guys are not local by a long shot, they couldn't give a shit about littering and destroying motel rooms, and by extension, destroying more field than needs be/is on the work plan. This county is hugely agricultural, and honestly has very little litter (only that which accidentally gets ripped apart by coons and possum), probably because there are so few folks here, and likely because most of us burn a lot of it out back on our land.

My neighbor swears "the Mexicans" who are way out there in the field with radio backpacks, do this all the time. So - how does that work in real life?? If one of the guys is winging his empty soda cans and brown bags out of the dooley, and has witnesses, does your particular employer care? This prejudice is really making the rounds right now.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    Not the question I was expecting, but it I will give it a shot.

First of all, we are much more strictly regulated in Canada than in the United States. Our environmental laws here are some of the toughest in the world despite what your former Vice President Gore would have you believe about Alberta. Another difference here is the influence of lobbyists. We don't have lobbyists here in the way that you have in the United States. Industry has less power here than there. Another difference is mineral rights. Our landowners do not own the mineral rights to the land they are on (except in very rare cases), the province owns the resource which it then leases to a developer (oil company). If the oil company is being irresponsible, those leases will be revoked.

Anyway, garbage. Like I said earlier, many of the oilfield workers here were born and raised in the western provinces. We really have a lot of young men who were raised on the farms and ranches in the province. These guys are naturally respectful of the land we are on. As far as my employer goes (and our clients - the oil companies), leaving a trail of garbage behind us would lead to termination of employment or termination of our service contract. Companies here are extremely strict about the behavior of their employees and contractors. (For example, we can not park a company pick-up in a bar parking lot.) Things aren't perfect here, but I know from experience that they are much better than in other parts of the world.

I have heard that in North Dakota things are much more as you are describing (I have friends working down there.). From what I understand, the United States has very lenient environmental and safety laws. I have no doubt that with a more transient group of workers, weaker environmental and safety laws, and less mature oil and gas infrastructure, you would have major issues with garbage (and smashed hotel rooms, bar fights, etc.) You are living in a gold-rush, whereas I am living in a place that has had a steady oil and gas presence for decades.

BTW, I spent the good part of a year working offshore on the Mexican side of the Gulf of Mexico. The environmental and safety laws are very good in Mexico, but their enforcement is terrible.
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Thanks - it gives me something to compare this craziness to. And I tend to ask tangential questions for a while first - sorry about that.

If you eventually figure out where I live, don't tell - I like my anonymity on the 'Net - but it has really been a one-two-three punch out here. Oh my holy goodness - Chesapeake, mineral rights lease contract negotiations, the pipeline guys, the absolutely shady landsmen, gossip about who is going go get Midas rich and deserves it, more gossip about who is going to get Midas rich but should choke to death on the cash, endangered species biologists, road upgrades, tons of truck traffic where there previously were only semis driven by truckers who tended to live here, lots of downed trees - did I mention that yet??, and then there is Ohio law that lets you get sucked into a drilling unit against your will if your closest neighbors allowed drilling but you didn't, and trying to find fair valuation for ALL of it yourself because if you don't already know that everybody who wants a piece of your land will most certainly not tell you what it is worth so they can profit that much more off of it. And all because of the Utica shale. Yeah, gold rush it certainly is - makes me a lot more appreciative of what certain periods in American history must have felt like.

Have you ever been on a site where fracking was going on?
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

We don't have those problems with all the landsmen, gossip or social fallout from wondering who's going to strike it rich. The province owns the resource, so the royalties go to the province. (And we all benefit, our taxes are lower for example).

As far as fracking goes, I've been on location for many, they've been around for much longer than most people realize (early 1970's I believe).

They have gotten MUCH bigger over the last few years however (to access the shale zones).

Most wells on the planet are not drilled on giant pads that you described earlier, nor are they frac'd.

Most new wells in Norh America ARE however, as we are now going after shale gas/oil because the more conventional resources are tapped out.

Hey itchy! How's the Primal food thing going out at the job site?

Okay - how about this question? Leaving all kinds of posturing, arguing, and pissing matches about whose expert predictions are valid or not aside... How long, roughly, in your humble opinion, do we have before North America runs out of petroleum to tap, by whatever methods you deem possible? I am 45 - assuming I live until 100, which I hope and plan to do, will it be before, at, or after my century mark? And no, I have no plans to do the "itchy said this" thing. I just really enjoy asking you questions.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Just checked out your journal and wow! Something new and interesting! I hope you hang around.

I'm in a completely different field - healthcare - but I work 12-hour night shifts to make my living and can relate to the issues surrounding this type of lifestyle. I think I do fairly well but I'm always looking to tweak things for the better, and like most night shifts workers, always looking for more and better sleep. I've been primal for almost a year now, and it has been very, very good to me.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Nightshift in smalltown Alberta is going well. I pack my own lunches, so that meal is easy. One meal at a restaurant (usually steak and eggs) with a starter of mixed greens is about the best I can do otherwise. Its when I get out to a work camp that things get difficult.

Thanks Siobhan, I intend to stick around

I will get back to the oil discussion in the morning Crabbcakes.

I consider myself lucky that virtually no food is available for the night workers at my small rural hospital. I have to bring all my own food, no worries there. Of course I get offered junk all of the time, but it is pretty easy to turn down. Sometimes I get lucky and someone offers me fruit or raw veg or even meat - sometimes a pork roast or something similar makes its way in.

I'm very interested in these environmental concerns, particularly because I live in a U.S. state that generally has no garbage pickup - we take our trash to a transfer station - but is always heavily dependent on tourism and on keeping things clean. We have a very expansive bottle return program which is very popular as it keeps junk off the ground and also provides good sources of income for the boy scouts, church groups, etc. When our governor wanted to gut the program there was a huge outcry from all quarters - businesses, charities, regular people.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Closing in on a month of Primal eating and feeling great. Heading in to work tonight for my third nightshift in small-town Alberta. Managing to stay Primal, but not getting as much sleep as I would like. Doing Convict Conditioning in my hotel room. I am also trying to be a little more hands-on in the workplace instead of all supervision to keep the activity level a bit higher.

Funny story, the guys at work have been first noticing my much better energy levels, and commenting about "what's gotten into me." All along, I've been explaining that I am eating better, given up alcohol, working out more, etc without naming or explaining further what kind or philosophy I am following. Over the last couple of days, they've been noticing more specifically that I am "eating too much meat and eggs" and not eating any multi-grains. Funny that they haven't really noticed the increase in fish, shellfish, and green leafy vegetables, and have focused in on the meat and eggs. Anyway, as we sat in our doghouse for lunch last night, me eating two cans of Albacore tuna packed with olive oil and jalapeno peppers straight out of the can, and three hard-boiled eggs, my well meaning crew warned me that I was heading for heart disease, colon cancer, and gout. As I looked around the room, all I saw was Red Bulls, potato chips, cookies, fast food burgers, hot dogs, left over pizza, pastries, canned ravioli and frozen tv dinners. I just smiled.

What else could I do?

Yep, I get the same thing at the grocery store. I'll buy a steak and pork chops, tons of veg, leafy stuff, berries. And the cashier will say, "Wow, you eat a lot of meat." I don't have a single processed food in my cart! No one notices that. Meanwhile I notice everyone else in line seems to exist on frozen pizza and White Castle sliders, but they don't get comments.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast