Thread: About Jeans ... page

trekfan is offline Senior Member

About Jeans ...

Primal Fuel
    I've noticed, to my surprise, that a pair of my old 29 jeans from Walmart are tight. I got these back in August and they fit pretty much fine then. The weird part about this is that my 28 jeans and shorts both fit well ... they're smaller then the Walmart 29s.

I'm wondering what's up with them or me. They're not my favorite pair of jeans and they were from Walmart, so it's not like they look good, but I'm curious as to why this. Primal has changed my body shape a lot since the summer ... I'm now leaner, stronger, and I actually have muscles in my arm/upper chest area.

Is it a matter of my strength training changing my body shape to where those particular jeans don't work as well anymore? Is it something else?

I'm just curious for thoughts and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    Are the 28's from Walmart as well? Sizes are different from manufacturer to manufacturer, so the number on the tag is pretty much irrelevant. I have jeans in sizes 6, 8, 10 and 11 where the 8's fit with more room than the 10's or 11's. The only way to really judge the size is to lay them out flat and measure them. Perhaps your 29's aren't actually bigger than the 28's, or the material composition is different. Your 28's may have spandex or elastane in the denim where the 29's don't.

sarahelyse is offline Member
    Where are they tight? My guess would be that if they're only tight in certain spots, those muscles are bigger! Also, maybe they shrank a bit in the wash?

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lemontwisst View Post
    Are the 28's from Walmart as well? Sizes are different from manufacturer to manufacturer, so the number on the tag is pretty much irrelevant. I have jeans in sizes 6, 8, 10 and 11 where the 8's fit with more room than the 10's or 11's. The only way to really judge the size is to lay them out flat and measure them. Perhaps your 29's aren't actually bigger than the 28's, or the material composition is different. Your 28's may have spandex or elastane in the denim where the 29's don't.
    I've laid them out and the 28s are actually smaller. One of the 28s are from Target, the other from TJ Max. The odd thing is that the 28s were kinda tight when I got the 29s in August, but that's been reversed.

It could be the material but all of them claim to be made out of the same thing. I've tried on an old 30 and 32 jeans just for comparison, both pretty much fall off as they should ... I'm wondering what's up. It's freakin cold now, maybe the temperature has affected the jeans? Maybe repeated washes has messed them up? Maybe not wearing them for a few weeks has done something to them?

It's a real mystery.
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    If you are doing weight lifting that can make your thighs and sometimes even your waist bigger, if you are doing squats especially.

Also, not only does the size not matter, when they cut out the fabric they do it in multiple layers. The more inexpensive the clothing, the more layers of fabric they try to cut at once. The layers of fabric cause there to be small differences in the size of the resulting pieces, enough so that two pants that are both the same size can feel almost a whole size different from each other. I've got some pants like that. Exactly the same pants, same size, but one is super loose.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

dgreenwood is offline Senior Member
    All jeans are different, even within the same make and model. Some shrink more than others, some are cut slightly different. Even if the fabric appears to be the same there can be big differences in how they age. I've tried on multiple pairs of jeans at the same time that are the same exact make, model, and size, and they've all fit slightly differently.