Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Multivitamin Suggestions? page

Keilamarie is offline Junior Member

Question Multivitamin Suggestions?

Hello,

I just joined the community but have been primal for 3 weeks now. It's all going pretty well. I happened apon Mark's Daily Apple after being tipped off that my problem might be lectins. I am celiac and have been GF for 2.5 years. Even after all that time I still was not absorbing my food/nutrients.

So I tried PB and bam! It worked. Even my joint pain that I was in physical therapy for got better. I've lost tons of weight (maybe a bit too fast) about 10 pounds in 3 weeks-it seems like more. I was slightly spooked by this so I took the advice of this community and joined fitday. I began to track my food.

Now I see I need a multivitamin badly. Not a big problem normally but I have lots of food allergies and of course, the lectins thing. So I have been trying to find a vitamin that I can take and it's not going very well. I get super tired too, serious low levels of iron (I have some suppliments already for iron but it's much higher than the recommended 18mgs). I'd like to take it in my multi if I can. So my list of foods I can't have is below.

I would love it if anyone could point me in the right direction!

Thank you ahead of time!!!

Gluten/all grains/high lectin foods
    eggs
    casein
    nuts-all kinds
    avacado
    shellfish

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    I have little to add on multivitamins as I do not take them. Can you eat liver? A serving of liver is 25% of your daily iron. How about leafy greens? (sorry I have no idea what contains lechtins).
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    What does Fitday say you need so badly that you can't get from real food? Take those recommendations with a massive grain of (unrefined sea) salt. Can you post some specifics?

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i completely agree that you should be getting all your nutrients from food. but, i also know that it's much easier said than done, and i keep a bottle of multi-vitamins on hand to help round out whatever nutrients i might be missing.

i recommend a food-based multi. i personally take rainbow light for men, but don't just take the first thing you see...shop around a bit.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't advise trying to get a multivitamin that includes iron, as they usually have calcium in them, and calcium and iron compete for absorption. Just googling "allergen free multivitamin" I came up with this, the SCD and Feingold approval stamp is probably a good thing. The KIRKMAN Website

I personally take a high potency bariatric formula multivitamin, but I've had a gastric bypass and malabsorb some nutrients. I take my multivitamins in the AM and PM, and try to take my iron along with a vitamin C in the middle of the day. Heme iron is the most easily absorbed form of iron and doesn't aggravate my stomach, I take ProFerrin.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    One multivitamin per day is not a bad idea, just in case...

Keilamarie is offline Junior Member
    Hello,
    Wow, thank you for the help! Fitday says I am very low in: Iron, potassium, riboflavin, vit a, vit e and calcium. I do my best to get it from food. I'm eating a BAS right now I eat lots of fish, pork, beef (all grass fed/pastured) veggies (all organic + local and some fruit, coconut oil, ghee, and olives & olive oil, plus animal fat.

I am having a LOT of trouble eating enough. I eat when I'm hungry (most of the time, unless I can't get to food at that moment) and I eat until satisfied. Like right now I didn't want the salad but I knew I needed to eat it. Fitday calories eaten are 1308, 1739, 980, 982, 628, 1571, 904, 884, etc...I already know it's not enough. I am trying. However with a lack of appetite and such a restricted diet it's hard. 14 nutrient dense foods. Many I can't have but I have not tried bone broth yet. Guess the name freaks me out a bit-like the liver. I know, grow up already

I was very surprised to see low vit A as I eat lots of veggies. More in the warmer months. But still, veggies at almost all meals. My body went from absorbing nothing to getting nurtients finally. I'm guessing that's why the low appetite?

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    This is one of the best multivitamins I've seen. It's what I currently take a couple times a week.

Vitacost Synergy Once Daily® Multi-Vitamin -- 60 Capsules - Vitacost

It contains a lot of little "bonuses" like resveratrol and lutein. The "other ingredients" aren't bad.

Other Ingredients: Gelatin (capsule), magnesium stearate (vegetable source), cellulose and silicon dioxide.

It does say it contains soy, though. Probably processed on some shared machinery.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 01-25-2013 at 10:06 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast