Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Morning Coffee? page

lala70 is offline Senior Member

Morning Coffee?

Primal Fuel
    I have been 100% primal since Jan.2nd.Everthing is going really good so far,I am down about 7 pounds.I am eating around 12-1300 calories a day and carbs are 25-30 a day. I am having a hard time cutting out coffee! I drink about 4 cups in the morning ( big cups ).My energy seems to drop at about 11:00 in the morning ( I wake up at 5:00 every morning). My question is, has anyone found that cutting back on coffee helps with weight loss?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member
    How do you drink your coffee? Black? I drink mine with some half and half. I used to put sugar and whole milk in it, I've done much better with just the half and half and no sugar.

Mark has done a number of posts in regards to coffee, this is a nice summary:
    Does Coffee Decrease Insulin Sensitivity? | Mark's Daily Apple
    What does all this stuff mean for real world coffee fans?

Moderate your carb intake when drinking coffee. Some fruit and maybe even a bit of sweet potato hash can be okay, especially if you’re glucose tolerant, but for the most part, stick to eggs and bacon with your coffee in the morning. And whatever you do, don’t be one of those pudgy carb-loading cyclists clad in spandex I see at the cafe quaffing coffee and pounding kruellers. That’s not a good combo.

Get up and move around a bit when you drink. Since that coffee has just liberated a bunch of fatty acids from your adipose tissue, use them! Go for a walk, take a stroll around the office, do some gardening, hit the trails, ride your bike, play with your kids. Just move. If you don’t, the bulk of those fatty acids will simply be recycled back into your body fat.

Remember that coffee isn’t just caffeine. It is a whole plant food/drink with hundreds of bioactive compounds beyond just caffeine, like chlorogenic acid, which may have protective effects against type 2 diabetes. Those compounds come from and are affected by the environment, soil, elevation, climate, and region in and at which the coffee was grown. Even the roasting temperature changes the antioxidant content and composition of the beans. The taste and health effects of coffee thusly depend on dozens of factors, and that’s why coffee has different effects on different people as reflected across dozens of studies. Coffee isn’t coffee isn’t coffee. The coffee that tanked those people’s insulin sensitivity in that study may have been a mass market blend from Starbucks, while the single origin coffee from a little Guatemalan plantation could have totally different effects (or it could be the other way around).

I only drink black coffee
    Quote Originally Posted by specsAreGrok View Post
    How do you drink your coffee? Black? I drink mine with some half and half. I used to put sugar and whole milk in it, I've done much better with just the half and half and no sugar.

Mark has done a number of posts in regards to coffee, this is a nice summary:
    Does Coffee Decrease Insulin Sensitivity? | Mark's Daily Apple

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lala70 View Post
    Well see, it should help then as it "liberated a bunch of fatty acids from your adipose tissue".

Are you getting a primal amount of sleep or using the coffee as a crutch to get around that? I'm guilty of this.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    I don't think the 2 calories in a cup of black coffee are holding up your weight loss I've also noticed no difference in weight loss when drinking 2 cups a day or 10.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    I usually drink my coffee black or I drink my own special designed Caveman-coffee(Not to be mistaken with bullet-proof coffee!) if I want some energy in it, but right now I did an interesting mistake; I confused the black coffee with CokeZero on my desk and I splashed lime-juice into the coffee without knowing what I actually did! So right now I am drinking black coffee with a splash of lime-juice! Hmm, a little sour taste but interesting – never tried that variant before…

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    I alternate in the mornings. Some times I need coffee and sometimes I don't. On the days I do, I find coffee helps a little, at least in my mind. I don't know why I feel that way ... maybe because the energy I have with coffee makes me feel like I'm burning more off.
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

What is in "caveman coffee"?

WOW!!! I was looking at your stats...Congrats on the incredible results!!
    Quote Originally Posted by trekfan View Post
    I alternate in the mornings. Some times I need coffee and sometimes I don't. On the days I do, I find coffee helps a little, at least in my mind. I don't know why I feel that way ... maybe because the energy I have with coffee makes me feel like I'm burning more off.

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    WOW!!! I was looking at your stats...Congrats on the incredible results!!
    *blushes* Ah, thanks. It was a process but a worthy one. Though I'm no longer losing weight, I continue to change. Primal continues to matter in my life and continues to change me for the better.
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast