Thread: Titanium Dental Implants page

bwhit is offline Senior Member

Titanium Dental Implants

Primal Fuel
    I'm scheduled to get a tooth implant in a few months. I'm told the metal implant that goes up into my gums will be made from titanium. Should I be worried?

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    No. I had one done last year, one of my front four upper teeth. So far, nada in the way of anything negative. Just be sure to go to a very good oral surgeon - they cause minimal-to-no collateral damage. AND specifically ask your dentist to SHOW YOU THE ACCOMPANYING DOCUMENTATION AND SERIAL NUMBERS that the post and any and all pieces-parts were made in FIRST WORLD COUNTRIES like Germany or the US. My dentist has stories of implants causing problems that were made in China of inferior materials and/or manufacturing processes.

My post had to be custom, as I had that off-angle to the jaw bone.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

bwhit is offline Senior Member
    Thanks. I will ask about the parts. I go to a pretty high end place in New York City that has been very good to me so far. But I did find some info on Dr. Mercola's and other sites saying the the implants can cause some problems. I appreciate the response.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bwhit View Post
    I'm scheduled to get a tooth implant in a few months. I'm told the metal implant that goes up into my gums will be made from titanium. Should I be worried?
    My hubster routinely does titanium implants and we've never had had a problem. Open communication with your surgeon is always recommended. You should feel comfortable speaking with him/her about all your questions and concerns in advance of having the surgery. Best/Lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Titanium is a very bio-compatible metal and non-toxic. I have never heard of any negative effects from titanium bone or tooth implants. Enjoy your new working tooth!
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    By this time I should be an expert on implants, I have a mouth full.

1. If any dentist says, you need a crown, don't. It's not worth the expense. Get an implant instead. An implant is forever.

2. Have your dentist prepare an implant plan for the next 5 years. Because teeth go bad one at a time, you can end up with an implant replacing each tooth. That is an unnecessary expensive. You need only 1 implant for every 2 or 3 teeth.

3. Have an oral surgeon remove the tooth and insert the implant. Depending, this may be done at one time or not. If not, wait 6 months for bone to replace the tooth root. In some cases, cow bone is placed in the hole in the bone. The implant is placed in the jawbone. If the dentist has a surgeon he often works with, that is a good choice. Oral Surgeons can also give you the luxury of I.V. anesthesia.

4. Wait a full 6 months after the implant is inserted. Do not let the dentist talk you into any work sooner than 6 months. During this time the bone grows around the implant, gripping it tightly.

5. Now the surgeon tests the implant, with a tiny torque wrench, to check that it's securely boned. If it's loose it must be redone. Discuss the cost of re-doing it with the surgeon before you start. Now, some Surgeons guareentee their work.

5. The dentist then makes and places a 'tooth' on the implant. They can do fantastic things these days. Really great engineering. Most dentists have CD of how this is all done to show you.

6. Make a list, yourself, of the tooth number of each implant, and the manufacturer and model # of that implant. It could be that you change dentists or surgeons and it is nearly impossible to determine after the work is done, what is in there.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 01-27-2013 at 04:58 PM.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Cryptocode is right about the extremely long wait times to let the bone grow around the post. My dentist took absolutely frickin' forever, I thought, but after each step, my spot got sore again as she incrementally went through the steps, so now I appreciate the patience - mostly hers with a complaining patient - and it went perfectly the first time around. In there solid as a rock now.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bwhit View Post
    Also, if your dentist said the implant went "into your gums", I'd consider another dentist.

You need a comparatively young dentist who is very current with implant practices.

lillypenna is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I agree with Cryptocode. The only thing taken into consideration for implantation is to make sure that the dentist should be well experienced and qualified to do implantation because now a days there are so many unqualified dentist offering implantation. Be careful.Good luck.