Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat-shaming may curb obesity, bioethicist says page 4

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    What a dumb asshole.

He compares being fat to fucking smoking cigarettes. Sure, shaming can reduce cigarette smoking, because smoking is a simple on-off behavior under conscious control. Being fat is not something you can just "decide" not to be any more! Even people who are trying their damnedest to lose weight often fail miserably--and he wants to make them feel WORSE about themselves?

I repeat: fucking dumb fucking asshole.

EDIT: Which is not to mention that he provides no evidence that it would work, or even that it wouldn't be counter-productive! (Guess what? Being stressed about your appearance can make you fatter, dumbass!) Gaaahh!
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    can you tell your wife to hug you for me?
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    So many overweight people in the world, from the massively obese to the mildly overweight (like 20 lbs or so) think of themselves as nothing, as unworthy of love, as unworthy of being healthier or better because the world tells us so, every single day.
    This made me cry a lot inside. I felt this way for YEARS.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    Shaming a street junkie to get help? That works, right? How about alcoholics? We can shame them into not drinking? How about the homeless?
    A lot of alcoholics and addicts will tell you that the shame they felt made them drink and do drugs all the more. Shame keeps a lot of mentally ill people on the streets.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    A lot of alcoholics and addicts will tell you that the shame they felt made them drink and do drugs all the more. Shame keeps a lot of mentally ill people on the streets.
    Totally. Plus, you know, just in general, what this society needs is NOT MORE SHAME AND GUILT.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    can you tell your wife to hug you for me?
    Were you talking to me? Cuz, yeah, sure.
    Last edited by Uncephalized; 01-25-2013 at 03:33 PM.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    How about shaming some cloistered white male Ivy League douche for not shaming at least 50% of the blame holders. I.e. the good folks at Big Food who put out shit disguised as healthy food.

Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine are the first two that come to mind. Weight Watchers products. Fit and Fruity (this is a 6 ounce container of yogurt with so much added sugar, that even though it's fat free, comes in at 160 calories). The whole Kellogg's light foods line. I Can't Believe It's Not Butter. Sugar/Fat free nondairy creamer. And tons of others that I can't recall because I rarely go down middle aisles of grocery stores anymore.

I was watching a video today on the benefits of water fasting and the speaker claimed that there are about 50,000 products on grocery store shelves and about 49,000 are not food.

And how about the government, willfully handing out bad advice on nutrition. We all look to "professionals" on occasion for answers. When those professionals have an agenda that is incongruent with the well being of those who look to them for guidance, they give bad advice. Let's shame them.

Monsanto - when you feed children your GMO foods, does that make you feel good?

Spectrum - when your products full of chemicals end up in the mouths of vegans trying to get healthy, does that make you feel good?

USDA, FDA, EPA - when you look around and realize you've been totally corrupted by special interests, does that make you feel good?

Prez Obama - when you signed into law that GMO foods can be sold without being labelled as such, did that make you feel good? Do you feed your kids that crap?

Now that's shaming that might do some good if put on a billboard.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

We're men, Gus; the world is our toilet.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    A campaign to shame people who are already depressed and desperate...this sounds like some kind of scam to boost funding for suicide crisis hotlines.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Maybe it's time to put a warning on certain processed food-products, like they do on the cigarett cases; "OVEREATING KILLS YOU SLOWLY!" or what about: "THIS FOOD MAKES YOU FAT!" And put on some worst case scenario pictures of morbidely obese persons as well, so everybody can see what may happen...

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    or, you know, explain what those foods do to the body
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    Hacking pieces off of fat people with a machete would curb obesity. It doesn't take a bioethicist to come up with a stupid way to curb obesity, even I can do it

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast