Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat-shaming may curb obesity, bioethicist says page 2

canio6 Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by specsAreGrok View Post
    You are correct, we should probably just skip the shaming step and just throw fatties in prison; err, I mean "involuntary weight loss camps".
    With armed guards and no food. This way they will eat each other. I mean, you have to eat fat to lose fat right?

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    With armed guards and no food. This way they will eat each other. I mean, you have to eat fat to lose fat right?
    That's a fairly good position. BUT, another idea might be to first put them to work doing exhausting manual labor for whatever corporation is willing to pay the most to the state for their work. When one the "patients" collapses from lack of energy, then we let the others eat them.

canio6 Guest
    That's a fairly good position. BUT, another idea might be to first put them to work doing exhausting manual labor for whatever corporation is willing to pay the most to the state for their work. When one the "patients" collapses from lack of energy, then we let the others eat them.
    Ah, I am seeing a reality show and all kinds of merchandizing possiblities. Kind of like Running Man meets the Biggest Loser meets the Donner Party.

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Ah, I am seeing a reality show and all kinds of merchandizing possiblities. Kind of like Running Man meets the Biggest Loser meets the Donner Party.
    If we get some fatty chefs in there, we might be able to work in a hell's kitchen angle while we are at it.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    You are correct, we should probably just skip the shaming step and just throw fatties in prison; err, I mean "involuntary weight loss camps".
    I knew a guy once who insisted that the solution was to install narrower doorways everywhere.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I knew a guy once who insisted that the solution was to install narrower doorways everywhere.
    And there ya go - a new zoning regulation that all Fast Food Restaurants must be built with doors no wider than 12". Problem solved.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    Fat shaming is a bad idea. I was fat for years throughout junior high, high school, and college ... that's nearly ten years all together and I heard plenty of fat jokes. Heard plenty of "advice" from people who were in good shape. Went on plenty of diets and failed. Gave up by the time I hit college and the gained forty or so pounds over the course of that time.

It wasn't shame that brought me to Primal. It was getting ignored by a hot girl who was literally right in front of me for two days and I didn't even have a pulse to her. That sent me over the edge. That made me decide I was going to make one last ditch effort to have a decent life or give up for good. It took a lot to get me to that point. Shame wasn't the main motivator. Frustration, I think, more than anything.
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    And there ya go - a new zoning regulation that all Fast Food Restaurants must be built with doors no wider than 12". Problem solved.
    Doesn't solve the drive-thru problem...

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Ethicist my ass. Provocateur looking for a headline is more like it. If shaming works maybe stoning a few obese people to death would work better.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Quote Originally Posted by trekfan View Post
    It wasn't shame that brought me to Primal. It was getting ignored by a hot girl who was literally right in front of me for two days and I didn't even have a pulse to her. That sent me over the edge. That made me decide I was going to make one last ditch effort to have a decent life or give up for good. It took a lot to get me to that point. Shame wasn't the main motivator. Frustration, I think, more than anything.
    That's what did it for me the first time as well. I used to force myself to do massive amounts of cardio, I'd be running with my eyes closed thinking of hot women and chanting to myself "doing it for the bootie". It worked, lost 100+lbs, got a date with my future wife and then proceeded to pack it all back on in happy bliss. Nowadays, I'm halfway back to where I was when I got that date, but rather than chanting "doing it for the bootie", I get a reminder of why I'm doing this everytime my kid wakes up in the morning.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast