Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salt and Insomnia page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Salt and Insomnia

Interesting article:

Does A Low Salt Diet Trigger Insomnia? - The People's Pharmacy®

I've been having massive salt cravings for the last few weeks and yesterday I really went gung ho with it. Last night was the first time I slept a straight 7/8 hours (without waking / tossing turning) for a long long time. Don't want to speak too soon, but it's definitely intriguing. I've been a no-salt person for most of my adult life.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    If this were true, I'd be the most well-slept person on earth. Nope.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I never had sleep issues related to salt intake, even from my low-salt days. Anytime I did have difficulty sleeping, I could always trace it to some other more obvious cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    I never had sleep issues related to salt intake, even from my low-salt days. Anytime I did have difficulty sleeping, I could always trace it to some other more obvious cause.
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    If this were true, I'd be the most well-slept person on earth. Nope.
    Well, it doesn't mean it's not true! There are a lot of causes for insomnia. Generally it's multi-factoral.

Now that I think about it, HE WHO SHALT NOT BE NAMED (Ray Peat) does suggest salt before bed as a sleep aid.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    And Tim Ferriss suggests bathing before sleep as a sleep aid as well. Particularly a cold bath.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Yup. Salt restriction increases adrenaline, which leads to racing pulse while sleeping and restlessness among other things. I always eat some ice cream with salt before sleeping.

My sodium intake is probably roughly 2x higher than the RDA, for whatever that's worth.
    nihil

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Yup. Salt restriction increases adrenaline, which leads to racing pulse while sleeping and restlessness among other things. I always eat some ice cream with salt before sleeping.

My sodium intake is probably roughly 2x higher than the RDA, for whatever that's worth.
    Chocolate ice cream sprinkled with salt is soooo goooooood.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Interesting article:

Does A Low Salt Diet Trigger Insomnia? - The People's Pharmacy®

I've been having massive salt cravings for the last few weeks and yesterday I really went gung ho with it. Last night was the first time I slept a straight 7/8 hours (without waking / tossing turning) for a long long time. Don't want to speak too soon, but it's definitely intriguing. I've been a no-salt person for most of my adult life.
    Yep some saturated fat, sugar and salt before bed almost guarantees a good nights sleep. When i was strict paleo i had the worst sleep, getting up to pee 2-3 times, restless legs and never getting comfortable due to soreness. Now i sleep 8-9 hours straight through and atill dont need to pee when i get up. Its awesome.

Yoga, did you read Matt Stones "Eat for heat" book? Check it out if you havnt.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I was never a low salt person, and had severe sleeping problems. So I can't either confirm or not based on my experience. But interesting anyway.

What's intriguing to me is that my husband and my kid don't ever use salt at all, and are perfectly happy. Though my kid loves pickles. Go figure.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Salted ice cream sounds so wrong, and yet so right...!

Yeah, I've noticed that I always have a great sleep after a sugar binge which always surprises people cos' they imagine that the sugar would give you energy and thus keep you awake.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Yep some saturated fat, sugar and salt before bed almost guarantees a good nights sleep. When i was strict paleo i had the worst sleep, getting up to pee 2-3 times, restless legs and never getting comfortable due to soreness. Now i sleep 8-9 hours straight through and atill dont need to pee when i get up. Its awesome.

Yoga, did you read Matt Stones "Eat for heat" book? Check it out if you havnt.
    Hey Zach, haven't read it... yet I am noticing though since reintroducing starch that I'm warmer, and my pulse has changed - it's still roughly the same rate but the beat is stronger, deeper (I studied some Chinese medicine so usually monitor this. TCM differentiates between different kinds of pulses - when I was low carb my pulse was was they describe as "floating").

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I was never a low salt person, and had severe sleeping problems. So I can't either confirm or not based on my experience. But interesting anyway.

What's intriguing to me is that my husband and my kid don't ever use salt at all, and are perfectly happy. Though my kid loves pickles. Go figure.
    Hey Leida, well I think it's down to that individuality thing. I wouldn't say low salt intake is the cause of insomnia, but in certain people it probably has physiological repercussions - low blood pressure, elevation of stress hormones (as Derp said) etc. that manifest as bad sleep.

As an aside, I actually think posture can impact on insomnia. I notice when I sleep really high I fall asleep much faster as it opens my chest and I can breathe more deeply.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    And Tim Ferriss suggests bathing before sleep as a sleep aid as well. Particularly a cold bath.
    I actually took a cold shower last night too! I'll have to try it with normal salt intake some night.

- Ray Peat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast