Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Salt and Insomnia page 2

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    It's interesting how things can affect people so differently. My husband has a major salt tooth - he can happily eat salt out of the container, and food can never be too salty for him. He really dislikes dessert and can only tolerate small amounts of sweet stuff (then needs to chase it with something salty!). But when he eats salt in the evening, he gets insatiably thirsty, drinks a ton of water, and then is up all night peeing. So for him it has the reverse effect. I think his sleep disturbance is likely related to other factors that we're still working on trying to understand.

But I think it's definitely a worthwhile thing for people to try, because you never know what might end up helping since sleep disturbance can have so many different causes.

YogaBare, do you use pink Himalayan salt, or the standard sodium chloride table salt? Do you find that consuming a lot of salt makes you really thirsty?

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Derp says almost EVERYTHING except caffeine and sugar elevates stress hormone man.

oxide is online now Senior Member
    I used drink salt water before bed... part of the whole iodine craze. Didn't do much for my sleeping patterns, but it sure raised my blood pressure.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Derp says almost EVERYTHING except caffeine and sugar elevates stress hormone man.
    You got it backwards, if you have sugar and salt in your diet, you will experience much less stress.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    You got it backwards, if you have sugar and salt in your diet, you will experience much less stress.
    No no no....your all wrong. Sugar is what you take to counteract stress, much like a supplement (or a drug...I'm not quite sure). Now if you have a caffeine addiction its ok! You just need massive amounts of sugar to be sure that you don't accidentally start the cascade of lipolysis and the ever stressful event of beta oxidation. That shit'll kill ya you know (read sarcasm)

Whoops this threads about salt though. DO NOT SALT YOUR COFFEE.....bleh. I don't care how much sugar it needs, but salt is a crime. Accidentally did this with salted butter once....NOT good.

I love salt....plenty in my bone broth and on my food. I have about three different types in the house at most times.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-25-2013 at 11:25 AM.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    No no no....your all wrong. Sugar is what you take to counteract stress, much like a supplement (or a drug...I'm not quite sure). Now if you have a caffeine addiction its ok! You just need massive amounts of sugar to be sure that you don't accidentally start the cascade of lipolysis and the ever stressful event of beta oxidation. That shit'll kill ya you know

Whoops this threads about salt though. DO NOT SALT YOUR COFFEE.....bleh. I don't care how much sugar it needs, but salt is a crime. Accidentally did this with salted butter once....NOT good.

I love salt....plenty in my bone broth and on my food. I have about three different typeUs in the house at most times.
    Yep, even though yerba mate, tea, chocolate, and coffee are ALL pretty potent sources of antioxidants.

Salt used to be added regularly to traditional Chinese preparations of tea although I think it had something to do with the fact that they were all drinking powdered tea back when they were doing that. They do NOT add salt now that they use loose leaves to brew most tea in China and Japan.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    I think his sleep disturbance is likely related to other factors that we're still working on trying to understand.

But I think it's definitely a worthwhile thing for people to try, because you never know what might end up helping since sleep disturbance can have so many different causes.

YogaBare, do you use pink Himalayan salt, or the standard sodium chloride table salt? Do you find that consuming a lot of salt makes you really thirsty?
    Totally agree BB - there's so many causes. I think it mostly has emotional roots and once you have the predisposition a myriad of lifestyle factors can trigger it (basically anything that throws you out of balance). I think there might be some of blood pressure connection for me too. Hows your husbands BP?

I use sea salt but not the pink stuff (I haven't looked into it too much but pink salt doesnt seem right...) and it actually doesn't make me that thirsty. Ironically when I was vegetarian (and low salt) I would drink 2-3 litres of water a day and still be gasping!

DO NOT SALT YOUR COFFEE.....bleh. I don't care how much sugar it needs, but salt is a crime. Accidentally did this with salted butter once....NOT good.
    Lol
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Zach is offline Banned
    I actually i like salt in coffee, but i put in a massive amount of sugar and cream.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    No no no....your all wrong. Sugar is what you take to counteract stress, much like a supplement (or a drug...I'm not quite sure). Now if you have a caffeine addiction its ok! You just need massive amounts of sugar to be sure that you don't accidentally start the cascade of lipolysis and the ever stressful event of beta oxidation. That shit'll kill ya you know (read sarcasm)
    Sounds like you're starting to get it.
    Nah, just pretty much everything that has to do with restriction of necessary compounds(carbs, sodium, etc)
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12