Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can You Save Your Own Life? page

jfellrath is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

I originally started a carb-free diet a year or so ago at the suggestion of fitness guru Matt Furey. Furey turns off a lot of people due to his MLM tactics in selling his products, but in my experience his products ARE that good.

In one of his blog posts recently he listed a number of feats that fitness pioneer Earle E. Liederman held up as the things that every man (or woman) should be able to do to save their own life. Here's the post (also viewable at http://www.mattfurey.com/mattfurey_u...your_own_life/):
    [quote]

Can You Save Your Own Life?

"Every man should be able to save his own life. He should be able to swim far enough, run fast and long enough to save his life in case of emergency and necessity."

The quote mentioned above comes from Earle E. Liederman, a renowned fitness pioneer back in the days of Charles Atlas.

In order to 'save his your own life' - as well as the life of a loved one, Liederman did NOT advocate

bodybuilding. Or powerlifting. Or massive muscles.

Much of Liedermans' life-saving method evolved around the development of 'strength-endurance'

with bodyweight calisthenics.

Let's face it, big gigantic muscles may impress some people, but there is nothing more impressive than

having the functional strength-endurance to do things with ease - including saving your own life - or someone else's.

Liederman's life-saving prescription is almost the same as my own. He wrote that you should ...

* Be able to swim at least half a mile or more;

* Be able to run at top speed two hundred yards or more;

* Be able to jump over obstacles higher than your waist;

* Be in condition to pull your body upward by the strength of your arms, until your chin touches your hands, at least 15 to 20 times;

* Be able to dip between parallel bars or between two chairs at least 25 times or more.

"If a man can accomplish these things," Liederman said, "he need have no fear concerning the safety of his life should he be forced into an emergency from which he alone may be able to save himself."</blockquote>

How many of us can do these things? They all seem to me to be very primal and basic, and definitely a fun goal to try to achieve!

---------------------------------------
    Jamie Fellrath
    http://www.fellrath.com

dalvarez Guest

wow, cool! I can do it!

Tarlach is offline Member

It&#39;s not alwyas just your own life.

I have been working at carrying the weight of my family for longer distances...

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

I&#39;d rather carry a cellphone and a gun

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Conan Guest

Anyone that does CrossFit or probably P90x for 3 or more months should be able to do all of those things easily. Add in the adrenaline rush of your life being in danger and they could probably do a whole lot more than what is perscribed. I can knock out about 30 pullups and a 400m sprint without my life being threatened. I&#39;m thinking I could come close to doubling those if I was in real danger.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

No sweat. (OK, some sweat.)

There was an incident in my city a few years back in which a woman died in a house fire. She was trapped in the bathroom with one of those small, high, windows, and she died because she was unable to get out of the window. (The paper showed a photo, and a normal-sized, fit person should have been able to do it.)

I don&#39;t know if it&#39;s because she was too large or too weak, or what. But that story has stuck in my mind, and I&#39;ve vowed to never, ever let myself be in that position, no matter how old I get.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

I think about this kind of stuff occassionally, I&#39;m really working on being able to do a real pull up. And unassissted dips would be awesome too. I can definitely run and swim, but like a lot of girls my leg strength far out works my arm/chest strength. Soon though!

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

jfellrath is offline Junior Member

These just seem like a really good set of benchmarks for anyone... and very primal, too!

---------------------------------------
    Jamie Fellrath
    http://www.fellrath.com

SullynNH Guest

It can actually be traced back farther than Atlas to what was known as Methode Naturelle and has a new resurgence as MovNat...

http://movnat.com/archives/423

http://movnat.com/philosophy/the-pillars

eyeshield9 is offline Junior Member

Just to clear things up, those should be done in a row right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast