Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does coconut oil work as eye cream? page

ulnauy is offline Member

Does coconut oil work as eye cream?

I usually scrub my face vigorously with a towel and then put a little coconut oil on in the morning, nothing at night. But my friend says scrubbing with a towel really messes with the skin under your eyes. I do have some bags under my eyes and wonder if years of harsh scrubbing may have contributed to this. I want to start taking care of my skin better, but don't want a complicated daily routine. I'm willing to give up scrubbing. What do you guys recommend?

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I've actually been told that coconut oil isn't suitable for the face.

Castor oil is meant to be good - someone here recently tried it under the eyes and found it got rid of her dark circles.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

ulnauy is offline Member
    Really? That's the first time I've heard that. Maybe it affects different people differently. I'll check out castor oil. My main question is about the scrubbing. I find if I don't scrub my skin gets bumpy, especially on the nose.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I heard coconut oil is acnegenic on the face so I've avoided it. I use it on my body just fine though.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    I heard coconut oil is acnegenic on the face so I've avoided it. I use it on my body just fine though.
    If you have an oily or combination skin it's better to avoid applying anything greasy on it, or you'll most likely break out like crazy. I mean on the face.
    I recently started using castor oil under my eyes only. I can definitely see some dark circle fading.

Primal Pamme is offline Member
    I massage a half and half mixture of olive oil and castor oil on my face in the morning then wipe it off gently with a warm wash rag and finally I put a bit of homemade moisturizer on it. I have always had problem skin as it tends to be oily with big pores even now in my late 40s. My skin is no longer oily, and has become incredibly soft, the softest it has ever been. It might be wishful thinking, but I think my wrinkles are shrinking and the pores are not so big anymore.

I have saved a lot of money in the last several months by not buying expensive face cream and all the things they tell you we need to use to have beautiful skin. I have also saved a lot of time.

Primal Pamme is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    If you have an oily or combination skin it's better to avoid applying anything greasy on it, or you'll most likely break out like crazy. I mean on the face.
    I recently started using castor oil under my eyes only. I can definitely see some dark circle fading.
    Actually, this isn't true. I can tell you from both personal experience and from the little research I did before I started applying oil to my face to cleanse it. My skin is the clearest and softest it has ever been.

meggan is offline Member
    I would avoid scrubbing. Every other day I might use a little baking/soda water mix and gently rub my face and then I apple rose hip oil or coconut oil. I do this at night generally. The next morning I rinse my face with cold water and lightly dry it.
    I don't wear makeup so some days I don't wash it, just rinse it.

Even if you use soap the oil cleansing method Primal Pamme suggested above or just water, I wouldn't scrub.

Also, on days that I might wear makeup or I've gotten too much grit on my face I use the OCM as well.

meloroaster is offline Senior Member
    definitely avoid scrubbing hard with a towel. if you want to exfoliate, make a homemade almond scrub or use milk/cream with nutmeg in it (this is AMAZING!). oil on your face is a GOOD thing and is the only thing that will remove all the gross stuff (i.e., like attracts like so water/alcohol doesn't work). i've been applying coconut oil liberally, leaving it on, then rinsing with warm water and PATTING my face lightly with a towel. haven't heard that coconut oil isn't supposed to be good but my face has been a-ok!
    will try the castor oil though!

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Pamme View Post
    Actually, this isn't true. I can tell you from both personal experience and from the little research I did before I started applying oil to my face to cleanse it. My skin is the clearest and softest it has ever been.
    Well, good for you. My experience has been exactly the opposite. I suppose it's one of those "try it for yourself and see" things.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast