Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you ever do anything impulsive with the hope you might fail? page

Rasputina is offline Senior Member

Do you ever do anything impulsive with the hope you might fail?

Primal Fuel
    Well, do you? I do crazy shit all the time, with the expectation that I might get fired from my job, which I quite love. I'm glad I don't get fired, but it's sort of like a test : if I do this crazy shit and things are still kosher, then it's meant to be How bout you?

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I think some people cheat on their partners for a reason that's not dissimilar. Kind of a sense of reckless self sabotage, and if it works out okay then there's a resulting elated feeling that comes with survival. And then you keep returning for the anticipation, and the high.

In my case I went through a phase when I was younger where I used to drive really dangerously in the hope that I might crash..!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I think some people cheat on their partners for a reason that's not dissimilar. Kind of a sense of reckless self sabotage, and if it works out okay then there's a resulting elated feeling that comes with survival. And then you keep returning for the anticipation, and the high.

In my case I went through a phase when I was younger where I used to drive really dangerously in the hope that I might crash..!
    Oh my! I'm in the phase where I drive dangerously slow... like a granny

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I do the crazy shit without the hope of failure.

- Ride a Vespa, split the lanes, weave in and out of brain-dead cagers. I do not hope to fail.
    - Quit a high paying job to walk across the US. I wanted to succeed.
    - Quit a job because my paychecks bounced (4 times). Didn't have a job lined up. I had hope a better job would be there.
    - Forgot my rain gear on a backpack trip. Rained every day. I was determined to keep going no matter what. Best trip ever.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

Ljphalen is offline Member
    I'm quitting my job to walk across America, too! I'm leaving in May. Any advice you wish you'd been given?

oxide is offline Senior Member
    I fail enough as it is when I'm not trying. Why the heck would I want to fail any more?
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Mark did a post about this a while back. It's called akrasia:

Akrasia, or Why You Act Against Your Own Better Judgment | Mark's Daily Apple

Violette_R is offline Senior Member
    No.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ljphalen View Post
    I'm quitting my job to walk across America, too! I'm leaving in May. Any advice you wish you'd been given?
    I think that everything I didn't know before I went became the wonderful discoveries along the way. Have a great time!
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Mark did a post about this a while back. It's called akrasia:

Akrasia, or Why You Act Against Your Own Better Judgment | Mark's Daily Apple
    This is the most interesting topic I've ever seen Mark Sisson write about. It's a shame he doesn't expand more on it in that topic though. It seems like he left it unfinished.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast