Thread: The Science Behind Keto Breath? page

sarahelyse is offline Member

The Science Behind Keto Breath?

Primal Fuel
    I need someone who understands the human body and/or chemistry more than I do to clarify something I discovered this week.

In my chemistry lab that I'm taking this semester, my lab mates and I were casually discussing acetone when someone mentioned that they don't put it in nail polish remover anymore because its a potential carcinogen.

A few days later, while trying to understand what exactly keto breath is, I found out that the actual smell comes from acetone (a metabolite of ketogenesis) leaving through the lungs.

Can someone help me wrap my head around the idea that in keto, we are exhaling not only an (old) ingredient of nail polish remover, but also a possible carcinogen?

I know its probably not a huge deal, but I'm a bit freaked out, and would feel better if I understood the science behind it.

Ljphalen is offline Member
    It's a waste product that is produced and excreted in minute amounts, it doesn't accrue in the body.

Quote Originally Posted by Ljphalen View Post
    It's a waste product that is produced and excreted in minute amounts, it doesn't accrue in the body.
    I get that it doesn't accumulate (that's why it has to be excreted), but why would our bodies produce a potential carcinogen? I feel like I should be avoiding keto if it produces something scary, even if it doesn't stay in our systems for long.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    They still put it in nail polish remover. It's considered quite safe except at ridiculously high concentrations.

Our bodies produce a number of chemicals that, if allowed to build up, would poison us: ammonia and alcohol, to name just two. Acetone metabolism is a normal process, not a pathology.

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    We also produce hydrogen sulfide

Quote Originally Posted by Ljphalen View Post
    Our bodies produce a number of chemicals that, if allowed to build up, would poison us: ammonia and alcohol, to name just two. Acetone metabolism is a normal process, not a pathology.
    Okay, this clicked for me. Thanks for helping me get over my irrational fear!!

Happy to help!