Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Grains or sugar - is one the lesser of two evils? page 4

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Its to keep the diet in context. A "bit" of sugar, "some" fruit, "a" sweet potato.....all within the confines of the carb curve will assure that you are still getting a variety of good nutrition AND good fats from other sources. So some schmuck cant come on here and be like "hey bananas are primal right? .....just eat thirty of those a day and your still primal!"
    Great summary.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

tcoop2232 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Seriously....everyone bitches about the carb curve, but this is part of the reason its still there. Its not just about insidious weight gain IMO. Its to keep the diet in context. A "bit" of sugar, "some" fruit, "a" sweet potato.....all within the confines of the carb curve will assure that you are still getting a variety of good nutrition AND good fats from other sources. So some schmuck cant come on here and be like "hey bananas are primal right? .....just eat thirty of those a day and your still primal!"

It's a template. For some people a "bit" of anything is a bit too much. Moving on....
    Yes!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Again, personal attacks are not really relevant for this discussion.
    Tis a good general rule to try to stick to.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Oxide, you are the most delusional poster on these forums. You just proved that Mark is ok with a bit of sugar, he is also ok with carbs in the form of fruit, potatoes and even white rice. Yet you continue to whine and complain about people offering advice thats "not primal".

Ayla, quit making every thread about you. We get it you cant eat sugar, everyone else can in at least small quantities with no problems whatsoever.
    Everyone else? Really everyone?
    Please.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Everyone else? Really everyone?
    Please.
    Everyone who has not deranged their metabolisms through poor dietary choices, and those who continue to make poor dietary choices, or those unfortunate enough to have rare ailments, then, yes. We've been over this before.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Well to be honest, once I converted into a mostly-fat burner and was primal for a while, I *do* tend to handle carbs a little better than in the past. For example, I recover from cheats more easily. In fact, if I'm extra carb-strict for a while and then get frustrated and carb cheat, that tends to cause a pound of weight loss -- maybe like a carb refeed. I think it's simply because the hormones are in better shape. However, this does NOT mean I'm going to eat a pound of starches or do a potato hack or whatever. If I keep doing that, I'll risk turning back into sugar burner. It think pure primal is simply more sustainable.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    From my standpoint, the OP answered the question with the title of the thread. He already acknowledges that both are bad. Personally, I cut out ALL grains, and ALL sugar, and its working for me (extremely well!).

I think some of the confusion on these threads comes down to the fact that there are "outs" built into the Primal Blueprint, 80/20 being the biggest one. 20% is a pretty big loophole Loopholes or not, my thoughts were to aim for 100% for a month, and then re-introduce items one by one if I felt I was missing them.

After 25 days eating this way, I can't think of anything I would like to add back in anyway.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234