Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grains or sugar - is one the lesser of two evils? page 2

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    IMO only from what I've read:

Added sugar is crap.

Whole grains aren't great.

Grains that have been processed, like white rice, are pretty null (neither positive nor negative).
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Zach is offline Banned
    White rice is basically empty calories and 100% glucose so if you dont have a problem with that then no need to avoid it. You didnt say what you meant by sugar, that could be a wide range of stuff. Fruit is as primal as it gets so go nuts. Maple syrup and honey are great sweeteners as well.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    If I had to choose between a spoonful of table sugar and a slice of bread, I'd go with the sugar. Wheat has all sorts of other crap going on besides just the fast carbs.

Wheat is really the only grain I avoid 100%. I eat corn once a week or so, and white rice a few times a week with sushi. I time it with my workouts. Not very primal, I guess, but it works for me.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Depends on your goals, in my opinion.

In the beginning, I think it is best to go grain free and very low sugar. Particularly if you have weight issues. I am 2.5 years in to primal eating and I now consume rice a few times a week and sugar a few times a week. But I was much more strict in the beginning. I do have to be very careful with the sugar as I can become a raging addict very quickly.

I suggest being strict in the beginning for a couple weeks or a month to see how you feel. If you don't have an major health issues then experiment a bit. Add in some white rice in the occasional meal and see how you feel. After a couple of weeks try adding in some sugar here and there and see what happens.

The primal blueprint allows for a great deal of flexibility in your eating. It's just about what works best for you.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Grains and sugar react differently in the body.
    Rice is a fairly benign source of glucose if you are training extremely hard.
    Sugar is made of glucose and fructose. Fructose is processed differently in the body than glucose.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

primal_alex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jensd View Post
    I know that all grains and sugar should also go
    The Primal Blueprint is not about zero-carbs, which Mark seems to be pretty much against. It is a high-fat/low-carb diet and sugars are welcome, but only as long as they come with some other interesting nutrients (vitamins, antioxidants, minerals, etc): check the pyramid and you'll see a lot of vegetables and fruits. PB is against refined sugars which are just empty calories (a teaspoon of pure C6H12O6...).

Grains are bad for a number of reasons other than the high glycemic index and the gluten you already mentioned, check the definitive guide to grains for more information.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Mark himself has nothing against normal table sugar in small quantities. Has a spoon in his coffee every morning.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Bron is offline Senior Member
    I started this journey sugar free. Found PB and went wheat free and very low grains (as in, an occasional addition). My middle two were FTT because of their wheat allergy. So for us, wheat is definitely the nastiest. They're allowed sugar occasionally.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Mark himself has nothing against normal table sugar in small quantities. Has a spoon in his coffee every morning.
    There you have it. Mark Sisson, author of The Primal Blueprint says there is nothing wrong with refined sugar.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    I think its best to just stick to the book, and don't worry about asking for advice on here just yet, as it can be very confusing.
    There are lots of people on here who are not actually primal, and like to confuse the new people.
    Ayla, is this starting to worry you too? It appears that the Perfect Health Diet followers are now pushing it on all the newbies, without telling the newbies that it's not quite Primal. I believe that a carefully monitored PHD is probably okay for an active person who has already been Primal for a while. However, it should NOT be suggested to newbies whose metabolisms that are still sugar adapted.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast