Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spoiled rotten? page

Violette_R is offline Senior Member

Spoiled rotten?

Primal Fuel
    A lot of you have probably noticed that the economy sucks and unemployment is kind of high. Does anyone else feel self-indulgent and spoiled by buying grass-fed meat, organic vegetables, etc.? I not only just ordered $100 worth of groceries for one person for one week, but they're being hand-delivered to my home because if I don't pay for that, I don't buy the good stuff. (Too much hassle - no good retailers in my 'hood, I have no car, and I live on the 4th floor of a walkup.)

My cousin and two of my oldest friends are under- or unemployed right now. Said cousin lost her house. The unemployed friend has a sick daughter. My not buying nutritious food isn't going to get them jobs, get my cousin's house back, or heal my friend's daughter. But damn, I feel guilty.

I'm hardly rich - you probably caught the part about not having a car. Living where I live is expensive as hell and moving elsewhere isn't a feasible option for me right now. And spending as much as I do on food means I rarely travel. There's stuff I would like to do but can't afford unless I cut back in other areas, but real food is a bigger priority.

Or maybe I just have a guilty personality type. I also feed bad about being able to afford a gym membership and having enough free time to utilize it. I also feel guilty about having good health insurance when so many don't.

I know, the stress isn't good for me. Also, tl;dr. Sorry.

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    I totally get this feeling. Sometimes I feel a little ridiculous (and have no doubt that others think of me so) when I get a sad face because there is no free range chicken meat or the fat content of the grass fed ground is not high enough for me. >.> And let's not mention, to anyone, EVER, that I pay 6.99 for a dozen pastured eggs because... yum.

I have the means to eat this way most (but not all) the time, and I do feel sometimes guilty because a lot of my family is not as able to do well for themselves.

But remember, we aren't doing this frivolously. This isn't 100 bucks a week on Kate Spade (I wish she was that cheap) or the latest Air Jordans. This is 100 bucks a week that could add YEARS of satisfying, active, and healthy well-being to YOUR life.

And we should never, ever, feel guilty for that.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Eating healthy is an investment in your future. Trawling through NYC looking for the latest expensive, fashionable, gourmet taste titillation and bragging to social-security grandma about it... something like THAT is guilt-worthy.

If you have ever been sick and had good food bring you back to health, then you need no further convincing. Also, you are voting with your wallet - the more demand there is for Primal-quality foodstuffs, the better for people and generally the better for the environment. If you average that 100 bucks out over all your meals for one week, I will bet you can't eat out that well for that money. I used to work at the WTC before 9-11, and a simple smoothie was 5 bucks down on the concourse back then!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

I live in an 850sq ft condo and drive a car that has over 140k miles on it because its paid for. I have made other sacrifices in my life so I can have a good balance in my savings and retirement account as well as good food in my home. I do not feel guilty. I feel that for the vast majority of people they are in the situations they are in because of the choices they have made. I am not saying that bad things don't happen but if you have planned/prepared properly they don't hit you as hard. I've been divorced and unemployed but I've always managed to stand on my own two feet.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    I don't feel guilty...we all make choices on how to spend the money that we have...there are all places where we can cut back (we have no cell phone, no TV, heat with wood, have solar panels, etc). We are a family of four living on a teacher's salary and make ends meet just fine...and buy pastured foods, but also raise chickens/eggs/honey here at our place. You said you don't travel much and that is a huge expense in itself. We don't travel much either---but I do hope to change that in the years to come...I need some sun!
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I don't feel guilty at all. I live in one of the most expensive cities in the country but don't own any property (way too expensive). I have never bought a car (dad gave me my car and I've had it for almost 20 years). I have a good job above the US median salary. I never had children. I buy almost all my clothes at the thrift store. I didn't start working full-time until my 30s. I have never been in (much) debt. The most I ever borrowed was $3000 for college and $1200 for a motorcycle. I have always made sure to take the full company matching. Never turn down free money! Currently I put 30% of my salary into my deferred retirement plan and have almost twice as money in there as my boyfriend did at my age, and he's got half a mil now at his age (he's 15 years older than me) so I'm actually starting to see light at the end of the tunnel. I made smart or accidentally smart choices. I can afford the damn grass fed beef. Do I always buy it? No, not always. Sometimes I'm too cheap.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    No don't feel guilty at all. My husband works very hard, and always has done, and earns a good salary.
    I feel grateful we can afford decent food, and I am not going to feel bad about that.

whitebear is offline Senior Member
    I think lots of people who think they can't, could afford good food if they made it a priority.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    I didn't realize there were so many people who bought used clothes. It's good to know I'm not the only one.

So many of the used clothes are nearly new and hardly worn. Certainly for 'around the house' clothes they're perfect.

I've never felt guilty that other's make different choices than we do, nor jealous of those who have more wealth, nor looked down on those who have less. We've done our best in life planning and made many mistakes, if by mistakes one means that other choices would have resulted in more wealth. But those other choices not make would not have been as expressive of ourselves.

None of us can predict what our fate will be, even with perfect planning; for some better than planned or hoped, for some worse. We know we are fortunate to have lived during a period of no wars and no plagues at home, and we are grateful for what we have.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I feel guilty about my food spending all the time. I have no retirement saved, have a struggling elderly father, and live paycheck to paycheck. But my health was in the toilet. Eating this way saved my life, but I still struggle with the fact that I don't have any financial security but am buying very expensive food.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast