Thread: baking walnuts page

garod82 is offline Senior Member

baking walnuts

I wanted to bake some walnuts with grass fed butter and cinnamon. Is this unhealthy? I assum I'll lose some of the nutrition but I just wanted to see if theres anything harmful.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    I don't think so! I'd bake some soaked, raw walnuts on a low-ish temperature, like 200 degrees, if you really wanted to be paranoid

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Walnuts (well, most nuts in general), are extremely high in polyunsaturated fats which oxidize very quickly and turn rancid when exposed to high levels of heat for an extended period of time and this is in general, not a good thing since rancid fats place quite a bit of oxidative stress on your body.

Doing it once in a while may not cause much harm, but if you're doing it regularly, I would cut the habit out. If I eat nuts, I'm eating them raw for just this very reason. Just my two cents though, and take it with a grain of salt.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Oh, who cares. For an occasional treat, it sounds delicious.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Lol. Like.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    It was asked if there was anything harmful about this. Technically there is. I merely said so. I have already mentioned in my post that it's ok every once in a while. But we don't know how often the poster was planning on doing it. If this was to become a regular inclusion in the diet, then I would recommend against it. It's the dose that makes the poison, I am well aware, but it's also the fact that we don't know what the dose is intended to be. I'm just giving both sides of the coin. Probably fine in small doses, but don't include as a regular part of the diet.