Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi all, newbie from the UK! page

Lilith is offline Member

Hi all, newbie from the UK!

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone, thought I would introduce myself

My partner and I are looking into the Primal way of living. We work really hard at the gym and I have always (for as long as I can remember anyway) longed for a leaner tummy and torso area. We've been making the classic mistakes of doing lots of long-drawn-out cardio and some weights. So now that is going to change.

We're doing it gradually, and I know people have said to just go the whole hog straight away but I feel gradual is best for me. I've had eating disorders in the past and cutting out stuff too soon feels a bit triggering for me and I get anxious. So small steps is gonna work fine for me

How have other people been getting on with 'going Primal'? Enjoying it? Reaping the benefits?

One question I want to ask is - we have LOADS of cereals here at home. I don't want to carry on eating them but I don't want to throw them as that would be wasteful. Anyone know if places take donations of food (although most of the boxes have been opened)?

Looking forward to sharing stories and encouragement with you all

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Package up those cereals and give them to your neighbours, friends and family. I felt badly about giving my vegetarian sister bags of wheat-filled foods, but it saved her a bit of money and she has no intention on going paleo. So, my guilt here. The sooner you get those foods out of your home, the better you will feel. Good luck and enjoy the journey! /Lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

CelticDog is offline Junior Member
    Give them to family or friends every one loves free food.

And Hello from Scotland! I'm new to Paleo myself but all I can say is eating these meals are gorgeous I keep in simple and plain because well I can't cook. But I've been stuffed, Full of energy and ready to take on the world since this diet.

As for the Gym, Focus on the Big Three(Deads,Bench,Squat) and Overhead press and you should be fine, As a Lassy(I presume) I suggest you check out this article on the effect of powerlifting on women. Should dispel any myths that are still lingering around you and inspire you(And your partner) To attack the Barbell Meet Staci: Your New Powerlifting Super Hero | Nerd Fitness

Lilith is offline Member
    Thanks for your replies, good idea I will ask around and see who wants the cereals

CelticDog, thanks I will take a look at the link you have posted. And yes, I am female (last time I checked anyway)

sondora is offline Junior Member
    Hi & welcome! I am from the UK too, though I mostly lurk on here

Lilith is offline Member
    Thanks Sondora
    Lilith

'Be yourself, everyone else is taken' - Oscar Wilde

cinders is offline Member
    hi Lillith,
    I'm also in the U.K. My daughter and I eat Primal but the men and boys dont so my house is full of 'rubbish', crisps/biscuits ,cereals etc.
    It deosnt bother me any more and I dont eat them.

I've been Primal on and off for 2 years. I lost 3 st. Then last year I had unbeleivable stress and fell off the wagon. I'm back on track now.

The info on here and in the books is all aimed at the USA which is rather annoying. But what I've found myself is that U.K food is less adulterated than US food. At one time I was very religious and would only eat food that had a Kosher certificate. Most of these were from the USA. I couldnt beleive the additives/extra rubbish they put in the food, even the cottage cheese had guar gum and other inedible stuff.
    Its like grass fed beef-we cant afford it-but U>K beef is fed alot more grass than US beef and only really grain over the winter. I do wish that there was a Primal/Paleo site and recipes aimed at us over here.

good luck

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cinders View Post
    hi Lillith,

The info on here and in the books is all aimed at the USA which is rather annoying. But what I've found myself is that U.K food is less adulterated than US food. At one time I was very religious and would only eat food that had a Kosher certificate. Most of these were from the USA. I couldnt beleive the additives/extra rubbish they put in the food, even the cottage cheese had guar gum and other inedible stuff.
    Its like grass fed beef-we cant afford it-but U>K beef is fed alot more grass than US beef and only really grain over the winter. I do wish that there was a Primal/Paleo site and recipes aimed at us over here.

good luck
    That's certainly true about UK and EU food, eg cows get a mix of silage with some barley or oats in it, that's what grow in the UK so that's what we feed the cows intensive raised chickens are still pretty scary though.

There are a few UK paleo blogs arround, but I don't think there is the following for someone to do something and make a living out of it, and I don't really know enough about it to do keep one going - I could do something every so often and call it 'Rob's Occasional Banana'

Back to OP - We cut stuff out slowly too - just seemed easier, we were eating little bread and not much sugar as we had been doing slimming world, so they went the first week, then we cut out cereals the next week, and after that we were going to cut out pasta and then rice and eventually legunmes, as it turned out we ended up not even wanting rice or legumes or pasta after the first week so it didn't take as long as excpected.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Lilith is offline Member
    Thanks for your replies

Rob - I like the name 'Rob's occasional banana' ha ha

Can I just ask what 'legumes' includes please, as I have been getting confused about this?!
    Lilith

'Be yourself, everyone else is taken' - Oscar Wilde

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    In depth answer Legume - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically beans and pulses, so kindney beans, baked beans, lentils, peas, peanuts are all legumes. Them things veggies eat for protien that make you trump. Personally I eat a small amount of peanut butter as almond butter is too exspensive and some houmus isn't gonna kill you (I'd be more worried about the oil used rather than the chickpeas) I wouldn't personally avoid garden peas either as you can eat them straight off the plant, but my SO dosn't like them so we don't eat them anyway.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast