Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi all, newbie from the UK! page 2

Lilith is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Thanks Rob - when you say peanut butter do you mean some 'pure' form of it rather than the peanut butter people spread on their toast?

I have looked at almond butter too but not sure I can get it in shops round here and would have to go online anyway.
    Lilith

'Be yourself, everyone else is taken' - Oscar Wilde

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Nope I mean the crap stuff from aldi - can't afford the whole earth stuff, we are propper poor.

TBH it is not that bad, there is a little sugar in it, but not much, it's over 90% peanuts.

I apply the 80/20 rule to stuff like this otherwise I'd eat nowt, if a few things are less than optimal, but if over 80% of the ingredients are ok then I'm fine with it as a as a small part of my diet, so I have pate from aldi, and chorizo sausage, both of which have a bit of bad stuff in, but not much (though Lidi does a chirizo that is glutan and sugar free IIRC) If aI buy sausages for example I stick to 80% plus meat content. It's not optimal, but neither is trying to feed 5 on 100 quid a week.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    Hi great to see another UK member.

Everyone is different. My partner and I just gave away or threw away what we could not eat. Never looked back since October.
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

Lilith is offline Member
    Hi Richard, looks like us Brits are catching onto this eh

Rob - I agree, we don't want to end up skint because we want to be healthier. Seems to be the same story doesn't it, you want to follow a healthier lifestyle and it costs you more! We're quite happy to shop at Aldi, will have to get down there and see what they've got. We used to buy salmon from there as it tended to be cheaper than the major supermarkets.

I agree with your 80/20 rule. A friend of a friend is a personal trainer and said that I must eat 'clean' ALL the time, not just most of the time. It's pressure like that that gets me anxious. I am happy if I can cut down and eat well but if I punish myself for the odd indiscretion then I think it can be de-motivating. And I don't mean scoffing bread/carbs once a week - I mean more like having a bit of dark chocolate every few months or something.
    Lilith

PrimalMumUK is offline Junior Member
    Hi another family from the UK here. I definitely think Rob should start his blog, haha!
    We do get all our veg from a local organic farm and that has worked out cheaper than buying in the supermarket (even the non organic stuff) but still struggling to work out the cheapest way of getting good meat.
    You will find that not buying all the packaged/boxed stuff will save you money.

Lilith is offline Member
    Thanks Primal Mum

Yes, I think good meat is the hardest part. We do have a slaughterhouse near us, not sure if the meat there is cheaper than supermarkets but will no doubt be better quality. Money is a sticking point, we don't go out much as it is (we like going out for meals) so don't want to end up not being able to afford to do that sort of thing.
    Lilith

mummibear is offline Junior Member

Skint in the UK

Hi All,
    I'm in UK too, and am struggling with the whole Primal thing a little bit. Partly, getting confused into low-carbing, and also the cost puts me off!
    We still have a cupboard full of polenta (yuck), pasta, cereal and so on, but I think we will gradually eat our way through it as the 20% cheat until it's gone. I want to be Primal, but my husband is not keen. He has just been tested for Ceoliacs disease and a host of other stuff, so I said that I think he should join me for at least 30 days, then if he doesn't like it, he doesn't have to stick with it. But if I can't even get a handle on it for myself, I fear I may not keep his attention!

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Welcome aboard! Another Brit here. Jump in and enjoy. See you around ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12