Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My co-workers are discussing the latest diet fad and I am going to flip page 2

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Koozie View Post
    Last year one of them did the HCG diet and raved about it. Inject yourself with a pregnancy hormone every day and eat 500 calories per day. Sounds miserable to me. That’s got to be the most unsustainable diet ever. Why do people do these things to themselves? It’s so easy to eat Paleo or Primal, in my opinion anyway.
    I don't understand the HCG. If someone eats 500 - 600 calories a day, wouldn't they lose the weight anyway? What's the point of buying the HCG thing?

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    My friends husband did HCG and lost a lot of weight, and gains it back and goes back on it. I don't get it.... and he doesn't look good.

That is a hard diet to follow too.... Why suffer for a month to gain most of it back?

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Everybody would lose tons of weight doing 500 calories per day no needs for hormones. Maybe a drug to blunt hunger would be a better idea...

osgoka01 is offline Junior Member
    Interestingly, I work with mostly men (sales for a big Engineering Co). There are alot of luncheons/dinners schmoozing clients and my group often looks on in amazement as I put back a vast amount of meat & veg. They make friendly jokes about "where I put it" and then pat their well fed* bellies contentedly.

A paleo chat came up once and I was explaining how great it was etc. etc. A fellow (who will go unnamed) from my group laughed and said, "HA! I'm on a diet also. It's the no pizza diet. Haha I just can't eat a whole pizza in 1 sitting."

He was serious.

I would think that a young (34 year old) man with a wife & 2 kids to care for, who is in failing health (overweight, high bp, high cholesterol) might take seriously a "diet" that allowed him to eat delicious steaks, ribs, fish etc.

*Well fed- big boned- wheat belly bloat- 40+lbs overweight.... you get the idea.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    I don't understand the HCG. If someone eats 500 - 600 calories a day, wouldn't they lose the weight anyway? What's the point of buying the HCG thing?
    That's what I'm saying. I think there's a lot of people out there who are just into trying diets. The crazier the better for some of them. It wouldn't be a "new diet" if it was just "I'm gonna eat 500-600 calories a day". You have to have the little hook, the thing that makes it a "diet". A New And Improved!! Diet.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I saw my friends last night- the hubby did HCG, lost about 100 lbs. last year, gained much of it back. She acknowledges my loss, but is not happy about the fat and meat. She is very concerned.

She made spinach pie with a "soy spread". I passed on it. I noticed her husband only had a small amount but dug into my sweet potato chips (shave thin, coconut oil, salt, bake) and guac. I see the same fat starved bahavior in him. I completely can tell that primal would be a god send for him and a no- brainer. He is vegetarian/vegan.... but have noticed when I put out meat based food, he tries it (used to never try my desserts). It's pretty clear he loves fat and meat.

God forbid he eat "real" food. It's unhealthy. I just feel so bad for him that he has a wife that is a health professional and he is just going to spend his life cycling between HCG and morbid obesity. I hate that she is CERTAIN I am unhealthy.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I saw my friends last night- the hubby did HCG, lost about 100 lbs. last year, gained much of it back. She acknowledges my loss, but is not happy about the fat and meat. She is very concerned.

She made spinach pie with a "soy spread". I passed on it. I noticed her husband only had a small amount but dug into my sweet potato chips (shave thin, coconut oil, salt, bake) and guac. I see the same fat starved bahavior in him. I completely can tell that primal would be a god send for him and a no- brainer. He is vegetarian/vegan.... but have noticed when I put out meat based food, he tries it (used to never try my desserts). It's pretty clear he loves fat and meat.

God forbid he eat "real" food. It's unhealthy. I just feel so bad for him that he has a wife that is a health professional and he is just going to spend his life cycling between HCG and morbid obesity. I hate that she is CERTAIN I am unhealthy.
    Argh, this is heartbreaking just to read. Maybe as you keep the weight off for longer and longer, she will consider that your way is more effective, or he will rebel? I never really talk about primal when discussing diet, but I always make a point to say I never eat "diet foods" and only eat things I love. Nobody can stay slim if they're doomed to a lifetime of eating stuff they know isn't real food.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    I am someone who lost 130 lbs on hCG. Yes, you can lose weight just eating 500 cals a day, but the hCG (although denied by the FDA) helps you use excess fat for energy (when a pregnant woman eats, the food cals nourish the baby first, mom gets the leftovers and uses her own stored fat for energy). Plus, the food you eat is restricted (100 g meat, fish, chicken breast: certain veggies, cabbage, green leafy lettuces, cucumbers, tomatoes, asparagus: and certain fruits, navel orange, strawberry, apple, grapefruit: you can also have a melba toast/grissini bread stick: twice a day). It's healthy food (minus the grain stuff), and although I can't speak for anyone else, it taught me about eating better.

The trick with hCG is understanding that you HAVE to change the way you used to eat. I have maintained my 130 lb weight loss through Paleo eating (it's been 3 months). I have not gained any of the weight back. If I had gone back to SAD, I would be back at 325!

I took me 4 months of research to decide to give hCG a go. What I did know, none of the CW diets worked for me. Too hard, too slow, too depressing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12