Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recent primal convert - feel terrible when training page 2

ctfranklin28 is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by the-duncs View Post
    Hi guys, I guess this has been asked numerous times before - apologies if so!

I've been eating a no grain / pulse diet for a couple of months, but in the last few weeks took up the 21 day challenge and have been really regulating carb intake to <100g/day. I'm a competitive trail runner, training for a tough season ahead including an off road and hilly marathon.

For the last week I've felt really tired when running - my legs burn, my shoulders feel tight and I feel generally low. I push on and continue to my planned distance; but it's slow and not pretty.

Is this a phase of my body adjusting to burning fats rather than sugars, or am I doing something wrong with that amount of carb intake?

For instance, historically if I've felt tired and needed a pick-me-up when running I'll eat a jelly sweet (massive sugar hit); is it okay to do that, or really stupid to on a paleo diet?

Sorry for newbie questions

Cheers, Dunc

Ps. When I'm not training I feel 100% okay and not low on energy in the slightest. Sleep pattern and general health are all great.
    Thank you for posting this! I actually went through the same thing, although on a lesser scale because I have not gone strict Paleo. In either case, I can say that your body gets used to it. In fact, I now crave Paleo snacks over one of my favorite carb "snack".

the-duncs is offline Junior Member
    Good to hear, and very encouraging. I'm about to try a run fueled on primal energy bars - fingers crossed

cavegirl13 is offline Junior Member
    I'll be making some this weekend. I'm not going to lie, I'm excited!!

All food is expensive in the UK nowadays, so good Paleo eating doesn't really cost much more. My fiance found a great supplier of primal 'stuff' in the states who ships out to here, which is great.
    Please could you let me know where you get your Primal stuff from as I'm in UK and looking for somewhere to get them from.

Althaur is offline Senior Member
    Dunc, how did the run go?

Great only towards the end of the run on steep climbs my muscles were crying out. But it was a lot better than the previous week and totally manageable.

So huge thanks for the link, those primal energy bars are ace! I ate one about 30mins before running, I reckon eating another about 10k in would have helped too. I'll experiment some more!!

Ps. We made small balls rather than bars - easier to manage on a run I thought. So we got about 24 balls out of a batch of that recipe.
    Last edited by the-duncs; 01-27-2013 at 10:23 AM.

@Cavegirl - We used iherb.com they're an American site, but ship to UK for very competitive rates!

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    This place is pretty good for a lot of Primal ingredients in the UK.,
    Healthy Supplies: Health Food Online.
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Great only towards the end of the run on steep climbs my muscles were crying out. But it was a lot better than the previous week and totally manageable.

So huge thanks for the link, those primal energy bars are ace! I ate one about 30mins before running, I reckon eating another about 10k in would have helped too. I'll experiment some more!!

Ps. We made small balls rather than bars - easier to manage on a run I thought. So we got about 24 balls out of a batch of that recipe.
    Awesome! Glad to hear it went better. The small balls would be a lot easier. I may try that when I get home. I got my wife to bake some for me yesterday and she's sending them out to me. I can't wait.

Take care!

A little update for you all...

Today I went for a 14k trail run (moderate hills). I ate a 'grok ball' (that's what I'm calling the primal energy balls from now on) 2 hours before I ran (nothing else eaten before this morning prior to running) and then another grok ball at 8k into the run - felt great! I wasn't pushing the pace by any means, averaged 7:08 min/km, and kept my heart rate below 70% effort (I wasn't wearing an HR monitor, but I can gauge it pretty well).

Ps. I tried to up my carbs slightly yesterday especially at dinner with double helpings of squash, but despite my efforts only managed about 95g.
    Last edited by the-duncs; 01-29-2013 at 04:15 AM.

Glad it seems to be working for you. I'm looking forward to getting my mileage back up when I can. I miss those long runs. They always seem a bit more enjoyable though when I run with my wife and let her take the lead.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12