Thread: Low Heart Rate page

mauler5858 is offline Member

Low Heart Rate

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have a question for you guys. I am a 28yo male and have lost 30 pounds(250 presently) so far since going primal. After shedding some weight my resting heart rate has slowed down to the low 50s, sometimes even high 40s. I am no where near a conditioned athlete. I had a stress-echo about a year back and it all checked out fine. I had a physical a few weeks ago, and the Dr did a EKG that checked out fine. My cholesterol numbers checked out at 131ldl, 33 hdl(i need to raise this), 81trig. My bp has also dropped since going primal....from 140/90 average to an average of around 115/78.

The only other things that I have a problem with is my reflux has not improved yet, and still cannot get off medicine. Also, I have sleep apnea which i wear a CPAP for. Upon nearing my goal I will have this apnea checked out again for improvements.

Do I have any reason to be concerned?
    Starting Weight - 280lbs
    Current - 280bs
    Goal - Around 200lbs(will be focusing on the mirror and not the scale then)
    Working hard to make a healthier and more active me.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Don't know about the heart rate, but bp often drops with weight loss and 115/78 is very healthy.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    congrats on some of those improvements. i think you can count on your apnea going away with the weight loss. mine did.

as far as the heart rate goes, i don't think it's anything to be too concerned about. i think it's a sign that your heart is in good shape, and you are probably not suffering from any inflammation right now. i'd call it a good sign.

vtphoenix is offline Member
    Don't worry about low heart rate until it gets to the 30s with you not being an athlete. Some people just genetically have low heart rates. I've had a low heart rate my entire life, which made cardio routines suck because they make you run to a "zone" which is based off of standard heart rates. My normal heart rate is about 45-50. The average is about 60-70. The "zone" was supposed to be 2-2.5 times your resting heart rate, and the trainers just assume their numbers at 120-140 bpm. So when I was doing 140bpm, I'm doing 3 times my resting heart rate which is straining it beyond belief.

I once had to do flutter kicks for 2 minutes so the EKG machine could read me...it cuts off at 45bpm. Gotta love meditative states.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    A low heart rate is one sign of a low metabolism. How is your body temp? How do you feel?

A suggestion to help your acid reflux (which is actually a sign of low stomach acid): drink a glass of water with 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. I read about it here, and it helped my husband:

Oh, Her Heart Burns! What Can Heal It? | Crunchy Betty

My dad had severe sleep apnea, went to a sleep study clinic, and what helped him was to sleep on his side, using special pillows in front and behind him to prevent him from rolling over in his sleep.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Do you feel any symptoms: dizzy, light headed, faint or very fatigued and unable to exercise as well? Your BP is also low, which could just mean this is how you are meant to be. I have both low heart rate and bp. At times I am symptomatic (light headed/fatigue) but that is when my bp goes down to 80/50 range.

Try checking your heart rate at different times of the day. Mine is all over the place in a 15 point range: high 40s in bed to low 60s when I am up and about during the day. I am not an athlete, but I am pretty conditioned.

As far as potential issues, low thyroid and elevated potassium.

I would just monitor it if you are feeling well. I found I needed to add salt and a bit of caffeine back into my diet after 3 months primal. It made a huge difference for me.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

mauler5858 is offline Member
    A low heart rate is one sign of a low metabolism. How is your body temp? How do you feel?
    Body temp runs normal, and I don't really feel bad.
    Do you feel any symptoms: dizzy, light headed, faint or very fatigued and unable to exercise as well?
    No not dizzy, beyond the standard semi-lightheadedness that I have always gotten with exercise since I was a kid.

My resting heard rate is running around that rate, but I can get it up to regular exercising levels with no adverse effects. For instance, I am doing a couch-to-5k series right now. Today, during my run intervals I was getting up to 160-170 with no adverse effects.
    Starting Weight - 280lbs
    Current - 280bs
    Goal - Around 200lbs(will be focusing on the mirror and not the scale then)
    Working hard to make a healthier and more active me.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Your heart rate is LOW. When mine dropped like that, it was because of undiagnosed hypothyroidism. Unfortunately, it didn't help me get diagnosed. The doctors just checked a box that my heart rate (mid-50s) was unnaturally now. Anything below 60 is considered problematic. I have a naturally slow metabolism, but now that I'm taking thyroid hormones, my heart rate is in the low 60s, which is normal for me.